Sponsored by:

Radar detectors in Europe - be warned!!

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2001, 12:34 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

A word of warning to those travelling through Belgium and are unaware of the policy on radar detectors!

Just had a call from my better half who's bringing the Scoob back to Amsterdam from Lille in France via Belgium this morning.

Whilst driving through France she kept the detector in the boot as we always do, she stopped for petrol in Belgium and put the detector in the passenger footwell ready to plug in once in Holland.

Whilst paying for the petrol a police car pulled in behind and must have had a look in the car - when she got back there were four policemen hanging around - they confiscated the detector (£150 quid down the drain), took loads of personal details and generally upset her.

She was told the case would be put in front off a judge, and she may or may not have to appear in court.

There were a few tears shed and the 'good cop' quickly said that it was very unlikely we'll here anything more about it.

There was no mention of them having followed her into the service area or having spotted her speeding before she pulled in.

IMHO it's pretty rough justice confiscating something that was bought legally and can be used in my country of residence, especially seeing as the damn thing wasn't even plugged in.

This is in a country where it seems that 100 mph is the MINIMUM speed limit for the locals, especially if the car is over 10 years old.
Old 10 December 2001, 04:41 PM
Z75
Scooby Regular

Red face

I've been there a lot and have to conclude it's a strange place. You're right about the 100mph minimum speed. I've noticed that the heavier the traffic the faster the people drive.

Also the vans must be turbocharged because there I am doing 120mph and minding my own business when I notice some great big van bearing down on me flashing his lights for me to get over.

I'd say the standard of driving there is pretty poor and I think this is borne out by the statistics. Maybe it's the ongoing feud between the Flems and the Walloons (or maybe it's just those fat Eurocrats late for a meeting in Brussels after seeing their mistresses).

However, I still think it's a great country. The Ardennes has some of the most scenic roads in Europe and the Ghent - Ostend motorway is straight and good for 150mph+ . The beer is the most varied in the world, there are some nice cities and the people are friendly (and speak English).

Lucky your friend didn't have some other goods confiscated which let's say may be common coming from Holland. They are not half so friendly when confiscating Dutch finest (a few mates' experience not mine).
Old 10 December 2001, 05:17 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Mailed you about this Ian

As for the "other stuff": there is a law now making the "posession" of 5 grams or less of marihuana "legal" provided you are over 18.

Don't think it's got anything to do with Flemish / Walloon games ... I think it starts with a) a real bad driver education (if you can park your car, you have your licence) and b) a total disrespect/ignorance for cars/performance/driving/techniques etc...

Theo
Old 10 December 2001, 05:39 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Had a similar experience in France last year. 5 mins after pulling into a service station a gendarme pulled alongside and pointed out that my radar detector (on my dash) was illegal (didn't know that but ignorance is no defence etc).
Detector was confiscated. Fair enough I thought (£60-in-Tenerife Whistler job, easily replaced etc). He then announced that the on-spot of £500 was now due. Not having £500 on me, I was driven to a cash machine where I had to get the money out for him Nice way to start your hols....

pikeys..
Old 10 December 2001, 05:42 PM
Z75
Scooby Regular

Talking

Theo,

The 5 gram limit is a useful one for those people coming back from Holland who "forget" about that bag in their back pocket Easily done.

By the way don't think I terrorize your country with my riding/driving. The 150mph (250km/h) was on a very, very quiet Saturday night (because everyone is getting drunk) on that really straight bit towards Ostend after Ghent (it's like a runway). The 120mph (200km/h) is the usual step on it or get out of the way. At least people in Belgium like to get a move on. Here people go out of their way to block lane 3 so you do not go faster than they think is acceptable (usually 60mph [100km/h]).

Yep, nice place. Hope to go visit again in the New Year.
Old 10 December 2001, 05:43 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

You have to know how to park your car in Belgium?
Blimey. That's most of the UK drivers out already.
Old 10 December 2001, 05:45 PM
Nick L
Scooby Regular

Nice to see the foreign police are upholding their reputation of levering money out foreign motorists which probably ends up in their back pocket - allegedly. I'd be interested to see if she got any paperwork in return for the confiscated article - bet she didn't. But I wait to be suprised.
I can't believe it..... the police....crooked! Who'd have thought it.

Trending Topics

Old 10 December 2001, 05:48 PM
Z75
Scooby Regular

Well at least the police have consistent worldwide standards then.
Old 11 December 2001, 08:10 AM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

I had decided to let the matter drop and not try and get my detector back - but I've just been caught by a mobile camera van this morning on my way to work!! Bl@@dy typical!!

I'd driven past on the other side of the road - didn't see it 'cos of the fog, dropped the girlfriend off and was camera'd coming back - I'd deffo had picked them up if I'd had the detector..

Ah well - that's my 10th of the year (I do alot of travelling for work and there are cameras EVERYWHERE!) most for doing 4 or 5 km/h over the limits (100 or 120 on the motorway) - good thing is there is no points system for speeding!
Old 12 December 2001, 11:08 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

You were breaking the speed limit in the fog?
Why are you annoyed at being stopped?
Joolz
Old 13 December 2001, 06:19 AM
Dave Mackey
Scooby Regular

Ian,

A fellow expat scooby driver here working in Amsterdam as well.

What's the law as far as Detectors in Holland? 2 locals have said if caught with one Here the same fate as yours in Belguim would await.

Dave
P1 8 YOU (for now)

Mail me Ian if you fancy meeting up sometime

[Edited by Dave Mackey - 12/13/2001 6:22:08 AM]
Old 13 December 2001, 08:10 AM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Dave,
As far as I understand, radar detectors are still legal in NL - I bought one earlier this year and the guy in the shop said they were going to be outlawed from the start of next year.
Don't think I'm going to be replacing it!

I'll chuck you a mail - be nice to meet a fellow Scoobynetter here in Clogland!
Old 13 December 2001, 08:12 AM
Joris
Scooby Newbie

If you're caught as a local in Belgium with a detector, you loose your license, instant (for quite a while).

If travelling trough Europe, you'd better check the local laws before getting there ? And chuck the detector in the boot.
(Even there it can be confiscated, the possession itself is forbidden over here, but I guess they would leave foreigners alone)

It's a bad idea, doing that speed between Ostend and Ghent, that's the only place they tend to control speed limit (between Wetteren and Ostend, really)

Best place to speed in Belgium is the E19 between Brussels and Mechelen Nord. The plod NEVER flashes there
I used to go to school in Mechelen and travelled every day 110 - 130mph to get there. Never been caught

I guess traffic cops are ****e verywhere
And they tend to look in foreign cars, because we have quite some theft problems in towns near the highways
They sometimes block the whole highway and control everybody.
(just imagine the biggest way to brussels / ghent blocked off during the night)