All the Best
Pete

[Edited by PeterUK300 - 12/10/2001 3:20:38 PM]
Old 12 November 2001, 02:55 PM
Seamus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Not entirely sure what mine puts out, I guess around the 240-250bhp mark. I aim to rectify this in time though...

The car is a screamer to make it perform, it really is a comfortable smooth ride about town.
I thought the height adjust on the seat was pants too. she can only just get comfortable in it. It does however have a good lumbar support which my car does not have! Typical.

I have to say I do like it a lot!

Christian, the steering was light but the feedback was OK, less precise than the scoob (I prefer it slightly heavier) nonetheless it went where it was pointed and you could feel the understeer no problem. The car is an MY02 and the gearbox is 5sp.

[Edited by Seamus - 12/11/2001 2:59:33 PM]
Old 10 December 2001, 11:45 AM
911Boy
Scooby Regular

Question

My wife and I are looking for a new second car, something reasonably sized with good performance.

I've read some good reviews about the Honda Accord Type R. Any advice on this car/anyone with experience of it?

Also in terms of performance, according to the figures its not too far behing a standard UK Impreza....anyone with experience of both?
Old 10 December 2001, 11:46 AM
911Boy
Scooby Regular

Sorry about posting this twice
Old 10 December 2001, 11:59 AM
Seamus
Scooby Regular

Friend of mine at work here has a 4 week old example. Not driven it, but it seems a decent bit of kit. 212bhp VTEC, loses a bit on the Scoob being front wheel drive but goes well, especially after 5K rpm when the variable valve stuff starts working. I'll try and wing a drive and let you know how they compare. It is certainly bigger all round than the Scoob and seems a little better inside.
Old 10 December 2001, 12:35 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

I was actually gonna buy the Integra-R until I found that the insurance was only 300 pounds less than the Scoob...

Plus points:

-rare car
-head-turning
-fast
-cheap(ish) insurance

negative:

-Noisy engine (esp on m'way)
-real performance kicks in at high revs (this is characteristic of VTECs engines which behave differently at 5000rpm +) - it has a red line of like 8500 rpm!
-Seats a bit uncomfortable (cf scooby MY99/MY00 buckets)
-Scooby is faster
-Hard to get any colour other than white

All in all a good car, one I came so close to getting...
Old 10 December 2001, 01:07 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Seen these advertised by Honda garage in Swindon for ridiculously cheap £ on a pre reg basis.

Once had a bit of a drag race with one from about 20mph on a long steep incline on a very fast A road in my MY00. The scoob definitely made ground and pulled away from the Accord but not as much as I would have hoped (traction benefit lost due to no standing start). I did have more passengers than him though.

They do look a bit bland though unless in the right colour - being black or red.

Trending Topics

Old 10 December 2001, 01:25 PM
PeterUK300
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi
Well I had a Honda Accord type R (Pirates Black colour) for 2 years. It was great fun to drive & reliable. The power delivery of the V-Tec engine is something else and handled really well. The car drives like a normal 2ltr family car below 4000 revs yet when you put your foot down and then go above that magic 5000 revs weh-hey a rocket ship.
The only reason I sold mine was I wanted a scooby sooooo BAD...
I would recommend one, I wish I could have afforded both...

All the Best
Pete
Old 10 December 2001, 02:12 PM
911Boy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Pete,

That sounds quite good, although it does seem like to have to rev it some to get it going. This is no bad thing I suppose as turbo cars can suffer a bit in ride quality i.e. a bit jumpy in traffic etc Glad to hear it has a bit of a kick too, even if it is a bit more sluggish than an Impreza.

I don't suppose you managed to get a test drive Seamus?

Also is there a limit to the colour choice as I've only ever seen the red and the black?
Old 10 December 2001, 03:24 PM
Seamus
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Driving it tomorrow, will post after with a comparative view.
This one is black, the colour I would choose, does look the part, very understated looks (aside from the spoiler being bigger than that on my UK300!). Nice Recaro seats inside, better than the buckets in my car I would say.
Old 10 December 2001, 04:26 PM
911Boy
Scooby Regular

Hi Seamus,

I very much look forward to your comments He must be a nice friend to let you drive it
Old 11 December 2001, 09:42 AM
911Boy
Scooby Regular

Just in case anyone else is intrested there is another thread in non-scooby matters on this subject as well. I had spelt the name wrong in one of the titles , and that was moved there
Old 11 December 2001, 02:10 PM
911Boy
Scooby Regular

Hi Seamus,

Any news? I'm keen to find out how it is?
Old 11 December 2001, 02:30 PM
Seamus
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yes, just got back to my desk!

OK. Nowhere near as quick as the Scoob (but mine is PPP'd) low down, but hit 5700rpm and the variable valve gubbins kicks in and it's a different beast, pulls well, sounds great, lots of fun.
Plus points:
Visibility all around is substaintially better than my Scoob.
Interior space is bigger all round, especially in the back.
Stereo is better.
Car is more comfortable.
Fuel economy (mind you who cares about that, especially as you have a 911! Got my edition of Christophorus last night, how much do I want a new C4)
Steering is a lot lighter.
Much much much easier to drive in slow moving traffic.
When that VTEC kicks in it transforms the car, rev it hard smile lots.
Good layout of dash, feels well built and solid.
It does look the part in black.

Negative Points:
Power well down on the Scoob, even before I had the PPP fitted but I don't think it's a relevant comparison (turbo v normally aspirated etc).
Gear change isn't as precise.
If your partner is short there is no seat height adjustment (this one owned by a she not a he and 5' at that) which could mean getting comfortable is a problem.
Brakes aren't as good.
Suprisingly easy to wheelspin.
Potential for usual front wheel drive understeer.
Metal gearknob is cold!
Not much else really!

Verdict:
I really like it! For going round town and having the option for a mad country blast I think it's pretty spot on. Would I swap my Scoob for one? Nope but I'm spoilt, I would have swapped my old Audi Turbo without hesitating.

Questions?
Old 11 December 2001, 02:49 PM
911Boy
Scooby Regular

Hi Seamus,

Thanks for the info.

I'm glad you enjoyed it although a couple of points do worry me:

The lack of seat movement may be a problem, very strange nowadays to have problems like that .

The fact hat its not as quick as a normal Scoob does a bit as well. Although you say its very quick at high revs, you'll really have to scream it about, not sure either of us would like that

However, I do like the idea of it being quite big and roomy and also easy to drive I think the best way would be to take it out on a test drive, maybe that, a standard scooby and she also likes the new A4 .

Thanks again for the info. By the way, just to get an idea in comparison to your car, what sort of bhp does your produce?

Cheers
Old 11 December 2001, 02:54 PM
Christian_Driver
Scooby Regular

Seamus,

I'm trying to decide between the ATR and the CTR at the moment as a new company car. I drove the CTR yesterday - thought the 6 speed gearbox was brilliant. Was the Accord 5 speed or 6? (Honda's website says 5, but the Type R brochure shows the gearknob with 6)...

The CTR steering seemed strangely weighted (sort of heavy and a bit 'lumpy' compared to the Scooby I used to drive) and had very little feel when cornering. How did the Accord feel - you mentioned the steering was light, but what was the feedback like?

I don't suppose there is anyone out there that has driven a Scooby, ATR, and a CTR that can offer any comparisons?

Cheers,

Christian