Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying and Owning an Car Supermarket WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2007, 05:39 PM
Pilotdan
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying and Owning an Car Supermarket WRX?

Hi All,

I am in the market for a second car and am seriously considering getting a brand new WRX.

Having searched about for an AWD turbo car and seen 100's of Audi's I came across a few Car Supermarket type places selling WRX vehicles for £13,999....!!

Now obviously they are imports and as I understand it they need to be ordered with the side impact SRS system. But can anyone tell me why I should not stump up £14k for one of these cars?

Bang for your buck, surely that cant be beat? A brand new WRX....?!?!?

Almost sounds too good to be true. Has anyone had any dealings with these people? Whats the warranty situation, I presume its reduced?

Also, I would want to get the PPP kit for it too in the future. Any issues walking into a dealer and asking them to fit it and keeping the warranty?

I know the insurance is going to be a fair bit, even 'garaged' (garage full of crap) / off road overnight and at my age (33).

What should I be looking for? Anything that is a MUST when ordering?

Thinking of the wagon, but love the look of the saloon...... in black.

Thanks

Old 03 March 2007, 06:35 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pilotdan
Hi All,

I am in the market for a second car and am seriously considering getting a brand new WRX.

Having searched about for an AWD turbo car and seen 100's of Audi's I came across a few Car Supermarket type places selling WRX vehicles for £13,999....!!

Now obviously they are imports and as I understand it they need to be ordered with the side impact SRS system. But can anyone tell me why I should not stump up £14k for one of these cars?

Bang for your buck, surely that cant be beat? A brand new WRX....?!?!?

Almost sounds too good to be true. Has anyone had any dealings with these people? Whats the warranty situation, I presume its reduced?

Also, I would want to get the PPP kit for it too in the future. Any issues walking into a dealer and asking them to fit it and keeping the warranty?

I know the insurance is going to be a fair bit, even 'garaged' (garage full of crap) / off road overnight and at my age (33).

What should I be looking for? Anything that is a MUST when ordering?

Thinking of the wagon, but love the look of the saloon...... in black.

Thanks

i was temptid once until thay offerd me aprice on my car i had that amount of money in my back pocket
Old 03 March 2007, 07:01 PM
Pilotdan
Scooby Newbie

Huh????
Old 03 March 2007, 07:15 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I think he means the part exchange offered by Car Supermarkets tends to be below the book price.
Old 03 March 2007, 07:39 PM
Pilotdan
Scooby Newbie

Ah.... thanks.

This would be a cash purchase with no trade in.
Old 03 March 2007, 07:41 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up
Car Supermarkets ??? sory lads u lot lost me !!! whats da hells that ????
Old 03 March 2007, 07:42 PM
newbiefreddy
Scooby Regular

litchfields ppp will void the warrantyin malta. litchfield have their own ppp and will give a one year waranty on the engine the rest covered by subaru +++higher bhp

Trending Topics

Old 03 March 2007, 07:57 PM
leef44
Scooby Newbie

Some have very long waiting lists (up to 6 months, perhaps they have improved since I enquired a couple of years ago). You normally need to stump up a significant deposit while the wait. the price may also be before their admin charges (a few hundred quid), registration and road tax, so maybe an additional £600 for OTR price. Oh yes, then there is the delivery charge (depending on distance) and whether you are willing for some chav to drive it or at a premium you can have it delivered on a lorry. you can imagine how disappointed you will be if they is a discrepancy in the spec so you need to have them take it back and back on the waiting list. After-service is not to be expected.

Overall, if you are willing to put up with these issues, then there are costs to be saved.
Old 03 March 2007, 11:54 PM
stara
Scooby Regular

Default cheap new WRX

i have ordered one £14999 & £350 for WR blue mica paint, arrives in 2 weeks, £500 deposit, p/x on my old motor is 1k less than parkers valuation, although i can sell it before the delivery driver collects my car and i can give him the cash instead. Buyacar | Buy a discounted UK new car, import or cheap nearly new cars

edit:- i don't know why my link changed into that, it makes my sound like a salesman or summit

Last edited by stara; 03 March 2007 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04 March 2007, 10:10 AM
AndyB007
Scooby Newbie

Pilot Dan... a few on here have bought one of the imports. I think a couple should now have them. The warranty is still 3 years (rang Subaru UK to check). With met paint, side airbags and OTR costs.. i paid just over £14500. Subaru said that fitting the PPP kit will however invalidate the warranty. This is because it is a recognised fitment in the UK but Malta do not and it is Malta that ultimately have to pay any warranty claims made back to Subaru UK.

Last edited by AndyB007; 04 March 2007 at 10:12 AM. Reason: typing errors....... doh
Old 04 March 2007, 05:58 PM
Pilotdan
Scooby Newbie

Do Prodrive offer any kind of warranty with the packs they sell directly?

I have got them down to £14,649 on the road with side airbags, and medium rear spoiler fitted, which sounds like a superb deal, including the standard 3 year warranty....!

I am having one last go to get a estate version (more practical option) but am about to pull the trigger on this.

How on earth do UK Subaru dealers flog their cars at £20k...?
Old 04 March 2007, 07:41 PM
ELYA49
Scooby Regular

I have got them down to £14,649 on the road with side airbags, and medium rear spoiler fitted, which sounds like a superb deal, including the standard 3 year warranty....!

I am having one last go to get a estate version (more practical option) but am about to pull the trigger on this.

Doing £14,248 OTR added airbags and sunroof for £498. 3 year warranty. Motor Depot, Hull. Bought an '06 from these last January, no problems. Trading in at mo. for '07. Only wanted MY06 + £1,500 (Not bad for 15 months and needs tyres).
Old 05 March 2007, 03:37 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Go for it! 3 year warranty, uk spec and it wont have increased insurance because its classed as a uk car. As for insurance, try Keith Michaels insurance, just renewed mine and it was £625 fully comp covering 15k a year, business use, all mods covered like for like (wheels, exhaust, sti spoilers, spliter, springs) with me and the wife on the policy, both 30. The car is garaged and they said that if i have a remap and sport cat it wont affect the cost of cover as long as i tell them about it!

How do Subaru charge £20k+, because there are still people out there who are afraid of the word IMPORT!!!!!
Hope this helps,
Ian
Old 05 March 2007, 03:42 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Loads of people have bought supermarket style cars ......... You need to add a little extra money to put an alarm and tracker on but other than that the cars are the same. The same warranty etc etc .......

The only world of warning IMHO is that you will be offered a lower part ex on the WRX from a stealer when you come to sell it. Therefore you need to factor that in before you part with your hard earned.
Old 05 March 2007, 06:25 PM
mikepaul
Scooby Regular

Yes you can save a tidy sum, but imports are only a good idea if you plan to keep the car 3 years or more otherwise the higher depreciation kicks in.

I would suggest you get some insurance quotes just to be on the safe side, as there are some pitfalls.

I'm 31 and I pay £400 for a WRX.

£15k for a new WRX sounds a good deal.

Nobody pays 20K for a WRX even from a main dealer, I paid 15995 for a UK one in 2005; just waited until dealers wanted to shift blob eye stock cheaply with the forthcoming 2.5l model due in sept 05

Last edited by mikepaul; 05 March 2007 at 06:26 PM. Reason: add
Old 05 March 2007, 07:20 PM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

Got mine on the 1st March from All Brands New / Motor Depot, same 3 yrs warranty etc.
Things to add on top..........

Cat 1 Alarm ( Sigma £330 fitted )
Locking Wheel Nuts ( £25 Subaru )
Carpet mats ( £45 Subaru )
1st Service ( Quoted £137 Subaru )

You get all of above free from a UK dealer including a tracker ( I don't want one )
Car was £14748 with Metalic paint, spoiler, side airbags (+£300) and a sunroof (+200 Bargain ). Thats on the road with 12 mths Tax.
So £14748 plus £537 = £15285 for th lot
Excellent service from them too.
Old 05 March 2007, 07:34 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sideways
Got mine on the 1st March from All Brands New / Motor Depot, same 3 yrs warranty etc.
Things to add on top..........

Cat 1 Alarm ( Sigma £330 fitted )
Locking Wheel Nuts ( £25 Subaru )
Carpet mats ( £45 Subaru )
1st Service ( Quoted £137 Subaru )

You get all of above free from a UK dealer including a tracker ( I don't want one )
Car was £14748 with Metalic paint, spoiler, side airbags (+£300) and a sunroof (+200 Bargain ). Thats on the road with 12 mths Tax.
So £14748 plus £537 = £15285 for th lot
Excellent service from them too.

Add to that a further depreciation of around £1,000 IF you decide to trade it to a main dealer, subaru or not and it comes in at £16,285. If that's cheaper than a UK car you have done ok
Old 05 March 2007, 08:45 PM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Add to that a further depreciation of around £1,000 IF you decide to trade it to a main dealer, subaru or not and it comes in at £16,285. If that's cheaper than a UK car you have done ok

Exactly who cares if its worth £1000 less when it comes to sell you've saved £5000 plus in the first place.

If you theory works lets say a UK WRX costs £20,000 and you lose £5000 in the 1st year, the UK will then be £15000 and the Parallel Import £14000 so not only have you not shelled out the £20000 to start, but you've still got in your pocket what you'd have lost on the UK version. If you keep the car 3 years plus there will probably be no difference in 2nd hand value anyway.
As my work colleague would say " Its a No Brainer "
Old 05 March 2007, 08:54 PM
zaxs1973
Scooby Regular

I have just bought an Urban Grey WRX from all brands new and the service has been spot on it arrives on my drive in a week £6000 saved on a UK subaru. I am sure you can get some extra BHP one way or another without voiding your warranty need to enquire further but i am confident i have done it right with the savings etc....

Regards Paul Leeds
Old 05 March 2007, 08:56 PM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zaxs1973
I have just bought an Urban Grey WRX from all brands new and the service has been spot on it arrives on my drive in a week £6000 saved on a UK subaru. I am sure you can get some extra BHP one way or another without voiding your warranty need to enquire further but i am confident i have done it right with the savings etc....

Regards Paul Leeds
Exactly Paul mines Urban too
I hope you enjoy it
Old 06 March 2007, 10:17 AM
ELYA49
Scooby Regular

I hope you enjoy it

Urban grey paint code off the VIN anyone..?? Getting MY07 hopefully this week but trying to get the STi 8 spoiler from DR Motorsport sprayed and delivered in time for collection.

1st service on MY06 from Subaru dealer was £89 (1k) and £138 (9k)
Old 06 March 2007, 12:42 PM
zaxs1973
Scooby Regular

Will send you the code unless somebody else does by next week i pick it up on monday Can't wait am giddy as a school kid, Can't wait to bury those Focus ST's and those Type R Dudes, From the Lights.
Looking forward to subaru heaven........

Regards Paul Leeds
Old 06 March 2007, 02:41 PM
zaxs1973
Scooby Regular

I hope you enjoy it
Can't wait mate am sure it will look great with black or smoked grey wheels and the small back window spoiler with the front carbon splitter....

Regards Paul
Old 06 March 2007, 06:04 PM
ELYA49
Scooby Regular

Will send you the code unless somebody else does by next week i pick it up on monday Can't wait am giddy as a school kid, Can't wait to bury those Focus ST's and those Type R Dudes, From the Lights.
Looking forward to subaru heaven........

Regards Paul Leeds

Code is 45A. Apparently this has been a Subaru code since 2005 and is also known as metal grey.
Spoiler ordered from DR motorsport at £320 deliver. 2-3 weeks due to new '07 plates !!!
Old 06 March 2007, 06:27 PM
zaxs1973
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that m8 hope my bloody car isnt late already been waiting for 6 weeks..

Do you know where to get one of those smaller spoilers for the rear window like what's on the STi???

Many Thanks in advance Paul from Leeds
Old 06 March 2007, 08:35 PM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that m8 hope my bloody car isnt late already been waiting for 6 weeks..

Do you know where to get one of those smaller spoilers for the rear window like what's on the STi???

Many Thanks in advance Paul from Leeds
Why such a long wait mine was 2 weeks and that was only because I wanted an 07 plate
Old 06 March 2007, 08:47 PM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

Spent 4 hrs cleaning mine today Took all the wheels off and polished them with toughseal wheel wax back and front, polished brake calipers too and greased the hubs so the wheels will come off easier when new tyres are needed. Gard x 'd windows, sunroof and sprayed interior with the fabric guard.
Just have the bodywork to polish with stage one and two tomorrow
Should be like a new one then
Old 06 March 2007, 11:49 PM
s60r
Scooby Regular

just to be the devils proverbial......

bought my o6wrx wagon off the carpet in dealers for 17.

dealers can do loads better than 20.........they were selling them for that with 3k of fuel b4 xmas. its always in the price...just up to you to deal.

not many dealers will take imports on px either - its not a matter of taking a price hit.......they just arnt allowed to stock or deal in non uk or imports.

i am going to ppp so no way was i going to void my warranty by importing for the sake of a few hundred quid, and you get better service from a dealer you bought a car from...ie courtesy cars or just going the extra mile for you - not an impoting fan.

but whatever you decide....the end product (apart from the separate fob for locking it, and different front seats) is the same........excellent.

good luck with everything, enjoy the car

cheers.
Old 06 March 2007, 11:53 PM
zaxs1973
Scooby Regular

Sideways

Ordered it on the 2nd of February mate waiting like you for the 07 plate was supposed to pick it up today but they phoned me last week to say it would not be ready till the 12th i think its because i pushed them on the part ex price also my mates brother works just down the road and he knows a few of the guys there got 11K for my BMW 325 Coupe with 70K on the clock on an 02 plate don't get me wrong she is mint but can't wait till next week, been having a bit of fun on another thread about how fast ST Focus's aren't. (My mates got one!!) been winding him since i ordered it same as my other mate with a Volvo S60 R ..

Regards Paul Leeds
Old 07 March 2007, 01:50 PM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=s60r;6724415]
not many dealers will take imports on px either - its not a matter of taking a price hit.......they just arnt allowed to stock or deal in non uk or imports.

QUOTE]

I know for a fact thats not true, dealers regularly buy imports at car auctions
I saw a MY06 2 months ago make £15600 at auction with Motorpoint number plates, and the buyer was a dealer local to me. If customer doesn't ask he'll pay same price as UK supplied on the forecourt. Joe public wouldn't know the difference. My friend deals in Scooby's all the time and he had a Jap Sti last year with Type UK on the log book

Quick Reply: Buying and Owning an Car Supermarket WRX?