Sponsored by:

Choices, choices

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2007, 01:14 PM
Andy Rich
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choices, choices

Right, I'm about to buy my first Impreza. I've decided that due to my age (21) I'd be best off buying a classic uk turbo(I've built up 5years NCB so the insurance quotes I'm getting are pretty good).

I'm on the lookout for a clean, unmolested classic with around 60,000miles on the clock. So far I've looked at a mint 98 s-plate uk turbo and a MY00 spec turbo with similar mileage. I know that the brakes on the MY00 are better that the earlier models (4 pot fronts and vented rears) and the interior is different but is it worth paying the extra cash (+/- 2grand) for the later model? What other benefits do they offer over the earlier model?

Cheers guys
Old 01 March 2007, 01:31 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

From SIDC FAQ:

"1998
1998 saw a major overhaul of the interior, with the introduction of a new dashboard, taken from the Forester, featuring white dials, a computerised odometer and a low fuel light. Other improvements include a passenger airbag, Momo leather steering wheel, leather covered handbrake lever and a shorter throw gear lever. ICE equipment remained the same but the apertures and grills (and reportedly wiring) for the "tweeter kit" is supplied as standard. Revised inner door panels and centre console that includes the current trend for putting cup holders in cars, completes the changes. The only external changes are the 16 inch alloys on 205/50 VR16 Bridgestone Potenza tyres now fitted as standard to the Turbo model.

The 1999 car continues the trend of fitting parts from the Japanese STi cars, including the front seats (although with a bit more padding) including height adjustment for the drivers seat; 4-pot front brake calipers and vented rear discs; and the high rear wing. Suspension, in line with STis, is now considerably firmer.

The front bumper has been slightly modified, being a little deeper and with just one vane (instead of two) and a naff orange plastic wedge outside the fog lights. The bumper now passes a 5 mph impact test. The fog lights and headlights have multifaceted reflectors and clear lenses.

The engine is a "Phase 2" boxer incorporating some changes to the head, and claimed power output is 7 bhp higher at 215 bhp (although torque stays the same).

Inside, the car benefits from cup holders and a slightly different Momo steering wheel. The car is at last fitted with a Thatcham "Category 1" alarm and immobiliser.

The price has risen by a very reasonable (in view of the changes) £1200, now taking the car over the £20,000 mark.

The 2000 car added some minor but welcome changes to the 1999 model, following the theme of contunual development.

The most obvious changes are the wheel design. Out went the much loved curved 5 spoke design, to be replaced with a 6 slender spoke design. Opinions on the new wheel style are generally mixed, but more owners prefer the older 5 spoke design to the newer one.

Other changes include colour coded mirrors and door handles, adjustable intermittent wiper speeds, remote central locking (was already fitted prior to delivery for UK cars with the alarm system), a metallic fascia, map reading lights and a new gear ****.

The very popular Dark Blue Mica colour was replaced by a slightly lighted Deep Blue Mica, and a new Red Mica Metallic colour was added to the range.

The Impreza has been in the same basic form for nearly 8 years now, and a completely new model is expected for the 2001 model year."
Old 01 March 2007, 01:50 PM
Andy Rich
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the reply, I've been on the sidc site and was just wondering if anybody had any experience of the 2 models?
Old 01 March 2007, 03:11 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I've had an MY97 and an MY00. To be honest the difference is minimal from a driving point of view. Although I would say that it would be best to get the latest you can afford.

The differences that spring to mind between the two I had are bigger rear spoiler, nicer front end, shorter throw gear stick, 1 inch bigger wheels, nicer interior, momo steering wheel. low fuel warning light, and about 7 extra bhp (and a cup holder!).
Make sure you get one with Aircon, as I don't think it was standard.

Not sure where an S plate sits with regards to which mods were on that one though.

If you can afford an MY00 you won't be disappointed.