Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camera mounting for videoing track driving - CHEAP?

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2007, 07:37 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camera mounting for videoing track driving - CHEAP?

I need to find a way of mounting my small digital camera CHEAPLY inside my WRX, so that it's level and pointing forward out of the windscreen. It has a normal screw fixing underneath. There are loads of great sucker mount models but they are also loads of money. The cheapo sucker mount ones would only give a horizontal platform if stuck to the top of the dash rather than onto the inside of the windscreen, and they look like they might just fall over with the G-forces encountered during track work.

Is there anything anyone can suggest to mount it firmly in some other way? Maybe a clamp onto the rear view mirror? Or the sun visor? I can't have it mounted on or near the side windows because I will have a passenger, so it needs to be high up and central-ish, facing forward? Of course I don't even have headrest bars to clamp it to, with the Scoob's one piece seatbacks!
Old 27 February 2007, 09:29 PM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use one of the below (£24) has an adjustable ball head so once stuck in position you can point the camera where you like. I use mine for external mounting with an SLR and find it pretty solid.

One of mine
Old 27 February 2007, 09:34 PM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

Looks good dave, I could use one of those too.

Some supplier info might be handy though........
Old 27 February 2007, 09:46 PM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

"Clicky"
Old 27 February 2007, 09:51 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

I got a cheap one from Maplin, no way it's coming off when stuck to glass etc. (shortof a severe accident, anyway).

Stick it on windscreen upside down, then process results on PC to get it right way up again...

result clicky
Old 27 February 2007, 10:08 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used my cheap (£15) tripod inside the car with good results.

Its quite hard to explain how I set it up but I will give it a shot.

The tripod is mounted between the two front seats about shoulder height and looking forward.

Two of the legs sit either side of the transmission tunnel with the third leg going back towards the back seat with the leg in the gap between the back of the seat and the base just under the arm rest and lock the legs of the tripod so it is all held in place against the bulk-head at the rear and the front seats.

I then use a bungee cord clipped to the two metal bits on the front of the back seat foot-well area and across the tripod to stop it bouncing upwards. The tripod has to be angled towards the front so it is wedged between the back seat and the two front seats so there is no movement.

Once it is in place it is rock solid and there is not vibrations or movement even during hard cornering.

I have used this set-up during driving around Scotland and Germany with no movement at all during some hard driving.

The other bonus is that my camera has a small screen that can be flipped over and twisted to an angle where the passenger can view it and see what is being recorded and can also use the zoom and start/stop with the remote.

Not sure if I have explained it very well but it works and saved me shelling out on a windscreen mount which I wasn't happy about using with a passenger in the front seat in case of an accident. The passenger would probably smash his face on the mount in front of him, this way it is out of the way.