MPH Speedo Dial

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2007, 11:30 AM
Andy_C 28
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPH Speedo Dial

Hi guys,

I have an import WRX Saloon....when I bought it it had hideous white dials on it so I finally decided to take the damn things off!! Went on here to ask which replacement dial to get..I was told to get the 120mph dial if it had not been de-restricted...which I did....I now think it should have had the 180mph as the speed is always reading slower than I am actually driving at!!
I bought the replacement dial off of ebay and the thing is crap...it doesn't match the rest of my dials. I had a look for another one that matches the rest of the dials and that also reads 180mph and there's nothing on there.
Does anyone have one for sale or can you suggest somewhere i can get one from??

All help appreciated...cheers
Old 20 February 2007, 12:44 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

What did your old white dials go up to? ...failing that if it's de-restricted you'll have a speedo converter either fitted to the back of your dials or on the gearbox ...id check the gearbox one first, as you'll need to unclip the speedo cable to check the back of the dials anyways ...there just isn't enough play in the cable otherwise (stoopid Subaru design!)

Unless you're lucky, you'll end up either buying a whole dash pod from ebay/breakers for an original speedo ...or end up paying £30 for a Lockwood dial (which includes the 120 & 180mph face ...& is the only dial face that gets anywhere near matching the OEM one) ...GGR stock them iirc

or i may have a knackered speedo lying around in the garage ...ill have a look tonite & let you know

Last edited by DazW; 20 February 2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old 20 February 2007, 12:56 PM
Andy_C 28
Scooby Regular

Hi mate,

To be completely honest I can't remember what the white dial said...it is in the garage though so I will check tonight.
I dis-connected the speedo from behing the dash when I took the dials out last time....I managed to get my hand up the back to dis-connect and re-connect it!! I definately didn't see a converter behind the dials. The odometer is still in KM.....would that change aswell if it has been de-restricted??

I don't mind buying a whole pod or anything...I just want it to match and read the correct speed!!!

If you do have one lying around and are happy to sell it then that would be great mate....failing that I'll go to GGR or try some breakers!!

Originally Posted by DazW
What did your old white dials go up to? ...failing that if it's de-restricted you'll have a speedo converter either fitted to the back of your dials or on the gearbox ...id check the gearbox one first, as you'll need to unclip the speedo cable to check the back of the dials anyways ...there just isn't enough play in the cable otherwise (stoopid Subaru design!)

Unless you're lucky, you'll end up either buying a whole dash pod from ebay/breakers for an original speedo ...or end up paying £30 for a Lockwood dial (which includes the 120 & 180mph face ...& is the only dial face that gets anywhere near matching the OEM one) ...GGR stock them iirc

or i may have a knackered speedo lying around in the garage ...ill have a look tonite & let you know
Old 20 February 2007, 01:16 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

If you can manage to get your fingers in to put the cable on the back of the dials Id say you definatley have a converter in there somewhere, probably about 12" up from the gearbox (as your speedo cable is actually 2 parts) ...you should be able to see by opening the bonnet & following the speedo cable from the bulk head down behind the turbo & heat sheild.

if there is a converter you're odo will now be showing a combo of Km's & anything after the conversion will be miles ...was it a fresh import?

replacement pods are pretty pricey! ...id try contacting individuals breaking cars rather than a yard- as they tend to know there real value

Dont forget a JDM legacy has the same pod ...& their parts are generally a hell of a lot cheaper (supply & demand) ...I was lucky & got a complete pod for a tenner!

ill let you know tonite bud about the one in my garage