Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plus members can now ban trolls!!

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2007, 06:22 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plus members can now ban trolls!!

OK, it is clear from both the survey, and the regular comments that one of the biggest irritations on scoobynet is the dribble spouted by the few trolls we tend to attract from time to time.

Well, here's some good news. ScoobyNet Plus members can now use the "Infractions" tool next to everyone's name (see the Yellow / Red card icon).

The Infractions system allows plus members to "Add Infraction Points" to members for a set number of specific reasons such as trolling, racist comments, abusing comments, etc.

These points last a certain number of days (indicated in the control screen) and if enough points are accumulated (not that many actually) the user will be automatically banned from ScoobyNet.

In certain cases, these infractions may be overruled by us, and we may in very unusual circumstances consider reinstating members.

WARNING : Anyone who abuses the system for their own person reasons will receive infraction points also, and will potentially be banned without refund.

Why Only Plus Members?
As with all systems like this, it could be open to abuse from idiots using it to ban people who should not have been. We would, of course, ban members who did this, but then, this is no problem if you've just set up an account purely for this reason. By limiting to Plus members, people will have to pay for this privilege and will not be refunded once they are banned.

Please use this system wisely, and it could very quickly make it pretty much impossible for trolls and other undesirables to operate here.
Old 18 February 2007, 06:26 PM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds good webby just keep tabs on whats legit and what is bullying though!
Old 18 February 2007, 06:28 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Old 18 February 2007, 06:28 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

There will be a rush to become +Members now
Old 18 February 2007, 06:30 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

LOL

We're actually going to upgrade the Plus membership also.. First, its now available on a £2 per month, monthly billing option, but we're going to offer a load of more features, which we'll announce shortly.
Old 18 February 2007, 06:31 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by phil_stephens
There will be a rush to become +Members now
Don't be so cynical!
Old 18 February 2007, 06:38 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

brilliant idea
Old 18 February 2007, 06:38 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Old 18 February 2007, 06:40 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

I don't know - I might do it just so I can join in on the usual suspects who just annoy everyone

And I really need to pay subscriptions to yet another scooby club!
Old 18 February 2007, 06:53 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Very interesting, I was wondering if/when the infraction system would be put in place. Seems somewhat fair that only plus members can do it, though have you given consideration to maybe an honorary membership/group that has the abilty to give infractions, something along the lines of a "moderator lite" group? The idea being that a person isn't a full moderator, but an assistant of sorts to the moderators, helping to clean the forums up by giving infractions to trolls/annoying users.
Old 18 February 2007, 06:56 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

One question. I don`t trust paypal. Why isn`t there another method of paying? Not sounding sarcastic or anything.
I await your response.
Best Regards

Anthony
Old 18 February 2007, 07:02 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Hi Anthony

We'll look into other methods, but this isn't going to happen quickly. Paypal is so outrageously widely used now, I'm surprised you wouldn't trust it. You also bought your ScoobyLIVE tickets through it (thank : look forward to seeign you there! ) but I think it would be worth having at least one other payment option.

Markus

LOL. Captain complex again . I'm sure the plus members will be able to handle it on their own, so I don't think the honorary membership group will be necessary.
Old 18 February 2007, 07:04 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
LOL

We're actually going to upgrade the Plus membership also.. First, its now available on a £2 per month, monthly billing option, but we're going to offer a load of more features, which we'll announce shortly.
so its not worth joining yet then?

i would only become a member to get a bigger pm box
Old 18 February 2007, 07:07 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
LOL. Captain complex again . I'm sure the plus members will be able to handle it on their own, so I don't think the honorary membership group will be necessary.
Cheeky bugger Was just thinking out loud in case not all the plus membership decided to take up arms against the trolls.

One question about the system though. Can Plus Members give an infraction to another Plus Mebmer?

Last edited by Markus; 18 February 2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 18 February 2007, 07:08 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Very interesting, I was wondering if/when the infraction system would be put in place. Seems somewhat fair that only plus members can do it, though have you given consideration to maybe an honorary membership/group that has the abilty to give infractions, something along the lines of a "moderator lite" group? The idea being that a person isn't a full moderator, but an assistant of sorts to the moderators, helping to clean the forums up by giving infractions to trolls/annoying users.
i would have thought the longer serving snetters would be immune from getting points

some plus members might be trolls
Old 18 February 2007, 07:11 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

So the Elite members can, theoretically decide who to ban just because they dont particularly *like * someone..... go figure....
Old 18 February 2007, 07:15 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

I can't believe the hoo-har involved in these 'trolls'.

It's like the people up in arms have nothing better to do, I think a dose of reality is involved ( not jasey @ work ).

SNet is by comparison a very small space on the internet, take it for what it is.
Old 18 February 2007, 07:15 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

its going to end up like the rep system

markus was given a really hard time here with the rep points. he was red blobbed to death. but he shouldnt have to get membership to protect himself.

i think anyone with a post count of 3000 posts or less should be the ones that cant give out cards......or go by join dates, seems a lot fairer to me
Old 18 February 2007, 07:16 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hectic
So the Elite members can, theoretically decide who to ban just because they dont particularly *like * someone..... go figure....
If there is a sense of victimization going on then I'm sure it'll be dealt with properly, as said by Simon/Shaun, if the system is abused then those members will be banned.

As I'm not a plus member I'm open to be given an infraction or two, plus I cannot give any infractions, which is somewhat tempting to do to a few of the trolls (both the obvious and not so obvious ones).
Old 18 February 2007, 07:21 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

It's really a solution without a problem, most people come on here to chat about Subarus. Some come to chat with their mates about any old subject and have a laugh and about 1% seem to come on here to be abusive and wind people up.
Tis quite easy to ignore the 1% I feel.
Old 18 February 2007, 07:21 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

If there is a sense of victimization going on then I'm sure it'll be dealt with properly, as said by Simon/Shaun, if the system is abused then those members will be banned.

As I'm not a plus member I'm open to be given an infraction or two, plus I cannot give any infractions, which is somewhat tempting to do to a few of the trolls (both the obvious and not so obvious ones).
sorry Markus, maybe at times Im as tad TOO cynical for my own good.. but as already said .. this may well end up being abused just like the much maligned 'Rep System'.
Old 18 February 2007, 07:23 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

as i said above markus, and i dont see why someone who gets unfairly banned should have to go through all the carp of getting reinstated
Old 18 February 2007, 07:24 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares

markus was given a really hard time here with the rep points. he was red blobbed to death. but he shouldnt have to get membership to protect himself.

i think anyone with a post count of 3000 posts or less should be the ones that cant give out cards......or go by join dates, seems a lot fairer to me
As it stands I don't have membership and don't have any plans to obtain it, unless there are features there that would benefit me and I don't think there will be. There is a temptation to obtain membership just for the abilty to give infractions to trolls and other annoying users, quite possibly to those who other plus members don't consider trolls or annoying, thus giving something back to the community my making it a better place. However, right now, I am not going to sign up just for that.

If someone wishes to give me an infraction then so be it. I would assume that it is NOT anonymous (I know the system can be setup this way, but given the debacle over the anonymity of the reputation system I think a lesson might have been learnt there) thus I'll know who gave me the infraction along with what it was for. If I feel they are being petty then I'll appeal against it, if it's justified then I'll accept it.
Old 18 February 2007, 07:26 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
It's really a solution without a problem, most people come on here to chat about Subarus. Some come to chat with their mates about any old subject and have a laugh and about 1% seem to come on here to be abusive and wind people up.
Tis quite easy to ignore the 1% I feel.

ive just thought, why should getting rid of the trolls be down to us, surely its a job the moderators should deal with?

this new system is just going to cause more unrest
Old 18 February 2007, 07:27 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

sara
Plus members have always had a bigger pm inbox.

hectic
Incorrect, re-read my first post.

sara
No it isn't. The problems that occurred with the rep system are countered by only allow plus members to give infractions.

Calm down woman. Plus membership won't protect you anyway. I think you've misunderstood.

I'm sure it does.. but it would do wouldn't it? What if someone else said that it should only be for people who haven't posted in the muppet forum?

--

To be clear. Only plus members (and moderators obviously) can give infractions. ANYONE can receive infractions - Including plus members. Infractions can be reversed by us if necessary. Abusers of the infraction system will be banned without refund.
Old 18 February 2007, 07:28 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hectic
sorry Markus, maybe at times Im as tad TOO cynical for my own good.. but as already said .. this may well end up being abused just like the much maligned 'Rep System'.
This is possible. However, there are far fewer plus users than there are us mere mortals, so that should limit the impact. If there are plus members who are going to be vindictive then report them for doing so and if the case is just they'll lose their ability to give infractions and those they gave in the act of vindictiveness will be revoked.
Old 18 February 2007, 07:28 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for your quick response to my question regarding Paypal. Yes I did use it to pay for my ScoobyLive ticket(s).

I am just very wary of it as a few weeks ago I received several emails in my hotmail account from paypal stating that my account was going to be suspended and that I had to enter my username and password. As far as I was concerned I did not have a paypal account and it just made me suspicious.

My wife works for a software reseller and is very clued up on spam emails and what fraudulent ones are flying about.

Anthony
Old 18 February 2007, 07:29 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Simon/Shaun,
Thanks for explaining who can give and recieve infractions, didn't think that Plus Members would be exempt from it.
Old 18 February 2007, 07:31 PM
octain
Scooby Regular

Sounds like organised bullying to me ,SN all over

Mick
Old 18 February 2007, 07:33 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

ive just thought, why should getting rid of the trolls be down to us, surely its a job the moderators should deal with?

this new system is just going to cause more unrest
Oh my god!! For heaven's sake. Don't use the bloody thing then.

THIS IS SIMPLE...

If a lot of plus members think that you do one of the following :

Post Spammed Adverts
Make Racist Comments
Are abusive to other members
Are Trolling the boards

Then you will be banned. If this turns out to be unjustified, then you will be Unbanned. But it would have meant that A NUMBER of people felt that A NUMBER of your posts justified an infraction.

Bottom Line. This is happening. We'll fine tune it and review once we've got a bit of time under our belt.