Sponsored by:

Exhaust complaints

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2007, 07:30 PM
gemmawilks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Exhaust complaints

thanks to a fellow member from this site I now have a Subaru again only problem is my neighbours complaining from the exhaust noise, they are making mine and my cars life a misery as they are now blocking the road so I cant get my car on or off my drive, I cant get rid of the car and its definatly not going to be parked on the road as I know they will take there keys to my paintwork, any suggestions on what to do with the neighbours (please keep it legal), even better does anyone know if you can be prosecuted for the noise that the car makes ?
Thanks all
Old 17 February 2007, 07:35 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You can be prosecuted for excessive noise, but then they can be prosecuted for obstructing the highway.....
Old 17 February 2007, 07:38 PM
scoobyfrankie
Scooby Regular

There is a legal noise limit that a car can make but if your exhaust is road legal then it is not over noisy if you have nowhere to park then block one of these idiots drive, i was gonna say some macho bull. but i see that you are of the female persuasion good luck.
Old 17 February 2007, 07:39 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Neighbours blocking the road so you can't drive your car off the street
Sorry i'm not having that, there must be more to it.
Old 17 February 2007, 07:41 PM
Mangel
Scooby Regular

there is an in car adjustable valve that fits in your exhaust system just before the back box which wold solve the problem. you just press a button and it closes up quietening it down.

not cheap though about 350 ish if i remember right, can look up details if you like.
Old 17 February 2007, 07:42 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

ditto bob r surely they have said something to you first ad not just thought 'sod it she aint driving it anymore' . come on you can tell us what you have 'really' done to upset everyone
Old 17 February 2007, 07:43 PM
gemmawilks
Scooby Regular

yes there is more to it they own a F reg Fiesta I go out to work to run my two cars and they sit at home waiting for there giro to come ive had problems in the past with other cars that ive had
Old 17 February 2007, 07:47 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

If it's THAT noisy - get a proper exhaust on it... Appologise to the neighbours causing you agro, tell them you've sorted it, eat a bit of humble pie & you get to keep the car! You know how it is - once you've tuned in to something annoying - it doesn't take much to set it off... Fix it properly and get back on good terms with your neighbours - it's worth a lot more than a noisy rumbley exhaust that is cool at meets but everyone else hates!

Think about it, it's your decision at the end of the day though...

Mick
Old 17 February 2007, 07:48 PM
mag6/4 2
Scooby Regular

my Neighbours use me as a alarm clock!!! one guy said blip the trottle when i go passed so he knows its 7.20 am time to get up
Old 17 February 2007, 07:48 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

where do you live gemma? dont you live with your boyfriend/husband? so have you upset them before or are they just jelous of the fact you have a nice car?
Old 17 February 2007, 07:50 PM
shrek_dude
Scooby Newbie

i have got a BLITZ reilise tt exhaust which is pretty quiet ,, if you want to swap back boxes ,as i want more noise , this is a very powerfull zorst
Old 17 February 2007, 07:51 PM
scotthldr
Scooby Regular

Wot exhaust is on the car anyway
Old 17 February 2007, 07:53 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

You need to have a sensible discussion with the neighbours, tell them they are being unreasonable, but on your part you are prepared to quieten the car down if they cease their anti-social behaviour towards you. You don't say what back box you have at the moment but it sounds like a 4inch or 5inch exit jap style. I suggest you replace it with a 3.5inch exit scoobysport or H&S (basically both same box). This will keep the burble, but reduce the low revs noise to a level which will be acceptable to them. Other alternatives are a prodrive or a standard STi back box which have a reasonably good flow rate but are more like 'normal' exhaust sound until you give it some stick.

You should be able to 'swap' the back box on here for a quieter one, there's nearly always someone who wants to make their car louder.

Last resort is to involve the authorities, but if they continue to block your drive then I'd swap the back box (even if its only a temporary swap for a standard box off ebay for a tenner) and call the police. You can swap a back box over on your drive in half hour or so. 2 bolts and 2/3 rubber hangers. Give the bolts some wd40 treatment and leave them to ease a bit before undoing.

Good luck
Old 17 February 2007, 07:55 PM
shrek_dude
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by funkyspider
You need to have a sensible discussion with the neighbours, tell them they are being unreasonable, but on your part you are prepared to quieten the car down if they cease their anti-social behaviour towards you. You don't say what back box you have at the moment but it sounds like a 4inch or 5inch exit jap style. I suggest you replace it with a 3.5inch exit scoobysport or H&S (basically both same box). This will keep the burble, but reduce the low revs noise to a level which will be acceptable to them. Other alternatives are a prodrive or a standard STi back box which have a reasonably good flow rate but are more like 'normal' exhaust sound until you give it some stick.

You should be able to 'swap' the back box on here for a quieter one, there's nearly always someone who wants to make their car louder.

Last resort is to involve the authorities, but if they continue to block your drive then I'd swap the back box (even if its only a temporary swap for a standard box off ebay for a tenner) and call the police. You can swap a back box over on your drive in half hour or so. 2 bolts and 2/3 rubber hangers. Give the bolts some wd40 treatment and leave them to ease a bit before undoing.

Good luck
yeah me mate mine is just to quiet till you floor it that is ,but im up for a swap
Old 17 February 2007, 07:57 PM
gemmawilks
Scooby Regular

thanks the exhaust is fine problems with the neighbours, it started when they asked to borrow my car when they had no insurance obvious
Old 17 February 2007, 07:58 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

It might be worth checking if the exhaust is legal or not.

If it is illegal then there might not be much you can do.
If it isn't then take action against them
Old 17 February 2007, 08:01 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Isn't the simple answer to change the exhaust if its that bad
If the neighbours are blocking the public highway report them to the police.
Old 17 February 2007, 08:02 PM
gemmawilks
Scooby Regular

The exhaust is a 5" Jap not really thinking of a swap at the moment as the noise is fine to me but looking for anyone with experience of neighbours complaining about there Sub
Old 17 February 2007, 08:03 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

so basically your post is really "my neighbours are just to55ers, what can I do" lol. Answer in that case is very little legally unless they are working and claiming benefit, dealing drugs, or being generally antisocial. Outside the law, pay someone really big 100quid to 'point out the errors of their ways'
Old 17 February 2007, 08:05 PM
scoobyfrankie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gemmawilks
thanks the exhaust is fine problems with the neighbours, it started when they asked to borrow my car when they had no insurance obvious
Sound like you live next door to a bunch of gypos
Old 17 February 2007, 08:06 PM
scoobyfrankie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gemmawilks
Sound like you live next door to a bunch of gypos
Old 17 February 2007, 08:08 PM
gemmawilks
Scooby Regular

Might take you up on that, failing that I need to recruit at least 30 Subaru drivers to park around my house gas the cars and show the neighbours that one Sub exhaust is bearable compared to the fleet that would give them nightmares
Old 17 February 2007, 08:17 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

edit: cus i didnt read it all.

im up for an annoying meet.
where in the country are you?
Old 17 February 2007, 08:28 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clearly I don't know the whole story here, but a loud exhaust is bloody annoying if it's not your own. I once had a 200SX with an exhaust that was more like a drainpipe, finishing up in a 4.5 inch tailpipe. And I wouldn't leave it idling on the drive, because however much I liked the noise, I realised how antisocial it was for my neighbours to have to listen to it.

Have you considered that your exhaust MIGHT actually be really really loud and annoying, regardless of whether you are used to it?
Old 17 February 2007, 08:30 PM
shrek_dude
Scooby Newbie

that sounds like a good plan
Old 17 February 2007, 08:33 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Good idea Shaggy.

Alan MaC
Old 17 February 2007, 08:34 PM
gemmawilks
Scooby Regular

I have considered the neighbours, I have checked with my other neighbours and there are no problems other than with the neighbours that live facing my drive, my immediate neighbours have already said that nothing is exsessive thats how the car is, but the complaints are comining from the people who see the cars parked on my drive, they must watch them and wish they had them
Old 17 February 2007, 08:46 PM
scotthldr
Scooby Regular

Scooby meet at gemma's then May as well make it a Japfest.
Old 17 February 2007, 08:48 PM
scotthldr
Scooby Regular

When's the Scoob meet then, is there a pub nearby
Old 17 February 2007, 09:23 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Does your drive have a lowered curb? If so your neighbours are breaking the law so you can threaten them with having their car/s towed away Or, you can suck on a plumb and get yourself a quieter exhaust
Some neighbours aren't worth the breath of arguing with, some are genuinely great. The question is what are yours like and would they cause criminal damage!?! Something else for the police
Failing that Gemma, where do you live? I'm sure we could get some boys with their toys to your drive for a bit of exhaust maintanance

Quick Reply: Exhaust complaints