Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leagcy gtb - needs caliper repair kit deperately (and front pads)

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2007, 06:44 PM
tomg
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leagcy gtb - needs caliper repair kit deperately (and front pads)

please help - where can i get a legacy gtb version 2 (BG 5) caliper repair kit as my seal is knackered and the piston wont work - so the brake is worn to metal on one side only. the pad is binding badly. are the seal kits easy to fit -
question 2 . my gtb bh5 1996-7 front pads look remarkably like those of an impreza. 60mm high . 137 mm length. same shape. can i use those on my 2 pot or do i have to get a certain kind from a jap import place ?
yours, in desperate need of you expertise - tomg
Old 17 February 2007, 06:49 PM
34srm
Scooby Regular

buy a caliper, and stop penny pinching
Old 17 February 2007, 07:31 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Question 1 - seal kit from Ian Godney of Godspeed Brakes. Can't remember the price but not expensive.
Easy to fit - yes and no....the new piston seals are easy enough to fit but the rubber boot that protects the piston can be a bit of a ba5tard to fit.

I actually had one of my pistons out of my front caliper on my BG5 this morning. It's been sticking for some time. Turned out to be some of the rubber off the seal itself had torn off and was causing the piston to stick. Never removed the rubber boot though. Cleaned it our and put it back together. Will probably order a seal kit soon.

Ian Godney can overhaul the front calipers with new pistons/seals and repaint for £175 all in.

Question 2 - yes, Impreza 2 pot caliper pads are same as GTB 2 pot pads.

The Impreza caliper fitting bracket is slightly different though as the GTB has 295 mm discs and the Impreza has 266 mm discs.

Last edited by Kevin Groat; 17 February 2007 at 07:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 17 February 2007, 08:44 PM
tomg
Scooby Newbie

thanks for that very much. i had my piston out this pm- i didnt take the boot/seal out - whats left of it seems to be all in one though? - the piston siitng in it and then it coming round the front of the piston. bit confused.
would rather do it myself - but where are godspeed brakes ?problem is i've got 3 easy bleed kits! none has a correctly fitting seal cover for the reservoir - do you know anywhere that doesthem ?

how much would it cost to have brembo calipers put on instead ?
thanks again
tomg
Old 17 February 2007, 09:24 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

The piston seal itself is inside the pot. The piston seal and the rubber protective boot are seperate items. My rubber boot also has a bit of a split but I'm not planning to change it just now.

Did you take the piston out completely?

I took the caliper off, usually calipers are fed by rubber brake hoses and you can clamp these gently with mole grips to stop the brake fluid leaking out. As my GTB has stainless brake pipes I taped up the end to stop it leaking.

I then bled the brakes just with a piece of plastic hose with it's end into a jar with old brake fluid to stop the air getting back in.

Ian Godney is....

Welcome To Godspeed Motorsport
Old 17 February 2007, 09:43 PM
tomg
Scooby Newbie

Default brake seal

i didnt mean to remove the piston completely, it blew out when i was unsticking it - the piston is in good condition - i think its just the seal that was stopping the piston worknig properly. will phone godspeed and pick some up on monday from bridgend - lucky - i go past bridgend on my way to work!(in a borrowed car....while the beast is off the road)

thanks again.
Old 17 February 2007, 09:47 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

No problem, probably best to email Ian. He's very helpful but pretty busy.