Sponsored by:

BL**DY ROAD DITCH

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2007, 04:46 PM
prince_of_tokyo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BL**DY ROAD DITCH

was driving at about 10mph (luckily) when my rear drivers side tyre had a big chunk ripped out of the tyre wall by a feckign ditch (essex road-walthamstow)...must be about 1 foot wide by half foot deep (big) but couldnt see it because it was filled with rain water...no cones no signs no nothing and its part of road works...and i aint the only one whos driven over it...you pay tax for them to keep em fixed and they dont, but now they dont even warn you
Old 17 February 2007, 04:49 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

You can claim, I forgot under what rules, but once a hazard is reported the council now have a reasonable period of time to fix it. After that, any damages that occur they are liable.

They often try to wriggle out of a claim and say that nobody has previously reported it as a problem.

So, get a mate to report it now. Then claim the accident happened in about a week and make them pay.
Old 17 February 2007, 06:11 PM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

go back and photograph the pothole/ditch or your claim may go no where.

my dad smashed an alloy years ago and he photographed the offendening pothole and they paid out.

photograph it from a few angles showing where in the road it is etc and the road itself so they cant say the hole you photographed was from another road

if you can put a ruler near the whole which will show how big deep it is. assuming its not on the motorway that is.
Old 17 February 2007, 06:44 PM
34srm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prince_of_tokyo
was driving at about 10mph (luckily) when my rear drivers side tyre had a big chunk ripped out of the tyre wall by a feckign ditch (essex road-walthamstow)...must be about 1 foot wide by half foot deep (big) but couldnt see it because it was filled with rain water...no cones no signs no nothing and its part of road works...and i aint the only one whos driven over it...you pay tax for them to keep em fixed and they dont, but now they dont even warn you
bet you would have been ok on 17s, sorry but
Old 17 February 2007, 06:46 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

take a picture and use a tape measure to show the size of it,get some quotes from a garage to repair
phone the local council and they send a form for you to fill in,send it back with quote and pics and they should pay for it
Old 17 February 2007, 06:59 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I damaged a tyre in similar circumstances. Photographed the hole then phoned the council. Went back within an hour or two and the whole was being filled. Got full amount for tyre, no quibble
Old 17 February 2007, 11:31 PM
prince_of_tokyo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 34srm
bet you would have been ok on 17s, sorry but
my rim is ok...only ma tyre that had a chunk ripped out the sidewall
Old 17 February 2007, 11:46 PM
Smifster
Scooby Regular

You will need two new tyres then, so I would do what johnnyroper said and claim.
Old 18 February 2007, 12:38 AM
prince_of_tokyo
Scooby Regular

gonna give it shot on monday
Old 18 February 2007, 01:11 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

thats pretty sad but i doubt anything will come of it !!!
Old 18 February 2007, 02:52 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

What gets me is driving down a road littered with speed humps yet the same road has crater sized pot holes
Old 18 February 2007, 12:36 PM
J_sca001
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prince_of_tokyo
Morning prince.

Just for your info your better off doing what my mate did below. Don't make the complaint first as they usually fill the hole in 24 hours to cover there ****! my mate had a golf gti and had a similar experience. He went back to the scene, took several photos with a tape measure to gauge size of hole and how deep, he took a friend and witness. He then took pics of his dented alloy wheel and got a price for a new wheel and tyre. He then photocopied all documents and sent the lot along with a letter of complaint to the local Highways agency responsible for the upkeep of the road. Send it recorded delivery to prove arrival and confirmed this a week later with a phone call. Took some months but they had no choice and paid up in the end.
Good luck m8!