Choices and Dilema's...

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2007, 10:24 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choices and Dilema's...

Hi,

Sorry if this post sounds like a rant, am having a really hard time trying to make my mind up what scooby to get. I am fast approaching the time where I will be looking to purchase my Subaru and have managed to narrow down my choices quite a bit however I really can't make up my mind.

I was dead set on one particular model after weighing up the pro's and con's i.e. the 05 JDM STi due to its superior spec however I have had a look at at a couple of other flavours as you do, and this has put a spanner in the works.

I was pretty set on the blob eye model and I think I still am mostly, they look aggressive, almost like a GTR from some angles and I think the JDM STi is good bet for me within my budget.

However I had a go of the WR1 at the weekend and I was smiling alot. Its a pretty awesome motor, almost a complete package if your into your blob eyes and I quite like the colour, not your average scooby.

Then to rub salt into my wounds, my best mate bought a 07 STi Type UK. After getting the mapping done he let me have a go, quite a different drive to the 2 litres and quite nice at the lower end. So my head is going "la la la" now thanks to having encountered these two other beasts.

Against the 07 model the blob eye is starting to look dated but to be honest I am not convinced about the hawk-eye model... something doesn't sit right about it and I think its because it keeps looking like a Saab Aero from the front (Sorry guys :P)... from some angles it looks awesome and my matey got his in blue so looks really sweet with the carbon splitter and bits on but I don't like the way the nose sticks out so far.

Obviously mechanically its a different machine almost and that has its plus points. If I go for a brand new motor at least its a new car and I will have no worries but it will also mean I am out of pocket for a while as well as being fearful of any major mods due to the warranty.

That leaves a nice very low mileage JDM STi or a low mileage WR1. The WR1 is nice but I keep thinking its the type of car you wouldn't want to modify too much as you would want to retain its exclusive nature. So I am back to the JDM STi as it offers the most potential and a good example is not hard to come by these days.

Advantages with the 05 STi's are:

JDM Spec
Tried and tested mods
Lots of tuning/styling stuff available
Big user base (look at the members on this forum)
*I save money to spend on the power/handling upgrades straight away*

I don't plan to go crazy on mods however I would like to break past the 300/300 power figures and the make the car more driveable but want to keep it maintenance friendly.

So the dilema, which one would you go for if you had the money and why?

1. Brand New/Newish 06/07 Hawk-Eye STi Type UK
2. 05 JDM STi
3. 04 WR1 (as it is out of the box)

Its alot of money to spend and when you decide on that one car its a big decision to make, end of the day its your pride and joy.

I feel like

Last edited by finalzero; 15 February 2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old 15 February 2007, 10:44 PM
PCM
Scooby Regular

If you have the money for a my06/my07 uk sti i can bring you over a my06 jdm sti and that would be better then all of them

have had a wr1 in the past and they are very poor.

What ever you do make sure you go JDM
Old 15 February 2007, 10:48 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Aye, why I wanted to gauge peoples opinions first, I don't know what those cars are like to live with but from what I can tell the JDM's are the favourite.
Old 15 February 2007, 10:49 PM
PCM
Scooby Regular

How come you left out the all mighty spec c?

Where abouts are you based? pm me if you like
Old 16 February 2007, 08:55 PM
collierm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PCM
Why do you think they are poor? I was toying with selling my UK STI for one

Genuinely interested to know.

Cheers

Matt
Old 16 February 2007, 08:59 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ Nasty colour?

I'd go with a JDM as (a) better value due to better spec & more power than UK cars (b) can be modded fairly cheaply to 350bhp (c) no more expensive to insure than UK car (d) exclusive relative to UK cars?

TX.
Old 16 February 2007, 09:18 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt nessecarily agree with some of your points Teminator X on the JDMvsUK debate... insurance is usually cheaper (unless you fit a certain profile) and a UK can also reach 350 fairly easyly.

Based on the choice you have though, i would certainly get the 05 JDM STi. My reasons for this are as follows:

MY05 JDM has DCCD-A which will make it handle alot better than the WR1. Think of the WR1 as perhaps a reason to have to shift a few of the 'Older Gen' newage Imprezas before the MY05 was released and you probably wont be far off. Awesome car still.. as are most Imprezas, but the MY05 will have the handling edge.
DCCD-A by the way is Subaru's solution to the understeer previous generations have been haunted with on the limit. If you keep the power on in a corner, a DCCD-A Impreza will not understeer... if anything it will slightly oversteer.

Also, you will notice that only the UK and USDM have the 2.5 engine. The reason for this is not because its a superior motor, its because it is easier to make meet our respective emission laws whilst maintaining a good BHP figure. The JDM 2006/07 models still come with the widely regarded 'superiour' 2.0 engine.

Also the general technicals of an 06/07 are almost identical to the MY05.. with i believe only a tweaked DCCD-A sensor/processing making any real difference. (whether you notice this in the real world... i dont know).

Hope this helps, if i was in your position... i would go for the JDM MY05 STi. The Blob seems to be the shape you want... and your only reason for the new one it seems is the technicals which are pretty much identical (if any changes at all) to the MY05.
Old 16 February 2007, 09:27 PM
PCM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by collierm
Why do you think they are poor? I was toying with selling my UK STI for one

Genuinely interested to know.

Cheers

Matt

The handleing was very poor and when pushing the car it used to feel twitchy where as the MY05 feels more planted and gokart like.
Old 16 February 2007, 09:30 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PCM
The handleing was very poor and when pushing the car it used to feel twitchy where as the MY05 feels more planted and gokart like.
Never driven one... but i have heard this view alot also (Friend had a MY03.. which i believe has a similar set up.. handling wise.. and he also complained.. ended up buying an Evo because of the understeer!! )

Whiteline ARB and Droplinks should improve it... but the MY05 will still handle far better.
Old 16 February 2007, 09:38 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by PCM
I hope you have informed Prodrive of your findings
Old 16 February 2007, 10:08 PM
PCM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
I hope you have informed Prodrive of your findings

Old 16 February 2007, 10:34 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by PCM
Um,Prodrive had some input in devoloping the WR1 I believe and probably have a bit of a history in building proven performance cars over the years.

You,on the other hand are some know-all nipper selling used Import cars....shall I draw you a picture?
Old 16 February 2007, 10:37 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Bit uncalled for Elmer

TX.
Old 16 February 2007, 10:44 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Bit uncalled for Elmer

TX.
Yep I'm sorry,but all this bloke does is spout cr@p as far as I'm concerned.Particularly after his 'I burnt off an RB320' thread

Last edited by Elmer Fudpucker; 16 February 2007 at 10:46 PM. Reason: spilling errars
Old 16 February 2007, 11:01 PM
PCM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
Yep I'm sorry,but all this bloke does is spout cr@p as far as I'm concerned.Particularly after his 'I burnt off an RB320' thread
Ok muppet if you have some sort of problem or issue with me and how i conduct myself then please feel free to ring me right now on 077 953 73741.

Back on topic
Old 16 February 2007, 11:04 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Oh crap...

Dude take ur mob number down... Elmer already has an awesome car, and any other reason to phone you i think will only result in a negative act/response. Lets just chill out.. Elmer has a point and i personally find some of your posts a little short sighted... but you are entitled to your views and opinions and its not really for us to judge them (however they conflict with our own)

finalzero - you got that MY05 yet?
Old 17 February 2007, 12:01 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

M.

I like your post #7, much better than my reply so I'll keep quite now you did neglect to mention the twin scroll though, which is nice!!

TX.