Sponsored by:

Driving without number plates for MOT

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2007, 10:22 AM
AlexJReid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving without number plates for MOT

Sorry guys, I'm sure this one must have been covered several times - but I musn't be using the search properly!

Where do I stand on driving a newly imported car, without number plates and tax to a pre-booked MOT? It will be insured on the VIN when driven. Naturally I will ensure the car is roadworthy before attempting the short journey to the MOT station.

On one hand I've done it twice before with other cars and not had issues... but my sister who is in the legal profession believes I would get strung up for driving without number plates.

Opinions?
Old 14 February 2007, 10:29 AM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

The garage where you are taking it to for the MOT - have they got any trade plates ? Alternatively get it trailored to the garage.

If it has no plates it can't be Taxed or insured can it ?
Old 14 February 2007, 10:32 AM
Matt_taylor
Scooby Regular

i have driven with no front numberplate before, several times,

police have pulled me just to get it done, but NO numberplates... risky

Dont u need a number plate to pass the MOT?
Old 14 February 2007, 10:39 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

If the car has not been registered yet, you can drive it without registration plates to a pre-aranged MOT or SVA test only. The SVA and MOT tests are mutually exclusive, you do not need to have passed one in order to take it to the other. You can insure a car based on chassis number only, so make sure you do this before driving to said tests.

I researched this last year before taking my imported car to first a MOT and then a SVA test. You can find all this on the VOSA/DVLA websites.

Originally Posted by AlexJReid
Sorry guys, I'm sure this one must have been covered several times - but I musn't be using the search properly!

Where do I stand on driving a newly imported car, without number plates and tax to a pre-booked MOT? It will be insured on the VIN when driven. Naturally I will ensure the car is roadworthy before attempting the short journey to the MOT station.

On one hand I've done it twice before with other cars and not had issues... but my sister who is in the legal profession believes I would get strung up for driving without number plates.

Opinions?
Old 14 February 2007, 10:40 AM
AlexJReid
Scooby Regular

They can only test number plates if they are fitted.

I've imported two cars before without number plates and had no hassle but this was a few years ago.

The tester just wrote NOT DISPLAYED on the registration part of the old style MOT certificate.

Trade plates may be an idea. Getting it trailered to the garage may be an option but they'd have the car the whole day then... not sure I like the idea of that.
Old 14 February 2007, 10:43 AM
AlexJReid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brit_in_Japan
If the car has not been registered yet, you can drive it without registration plates to a pre-aranged MOT or SVA test only. The SVA and MOT tests are mutually exclusive, you do not need to have passed one in order to take it to the other. You can insure a car based on chassis number only, so make sure you do this before driving to said tests.

I researched this last year before taking my imported car to first a MOT and then a SVA test. You can find all this on the VOSA/DVLA websites.
Thanks, thought this was the case.
I remember seeing words to this effect on the old DVLA site, but I can't seem to find it now.

From what I can work out you can no longer drive without plates from the port, but you can still MOT/SVA it.
Old 14 February 2007, 11:23 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, wonder what the MOT computer will make of that when the tester tries to enter the data (or lack of)

It throws a hissy fit with the chassis number as it is if it doesn't correlate to the DVLA database.
Old 14 February 2007, 11:23 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by AlexJReid
Thanks, thought this was the case.
I remember seeing words to this effect on the old DVLA site, but I can't seem to find it now.

From what I can work out you can no longer drive without plates from the port, but you can still MOT/SVA it.
I drove mine from port without plates last year

The importer gave me an info pack which included some bumph from the DVLA ...basically as Brit in Japan states, you can drive perfectly legally to & from a MOT/SVA station without plates or tax ...Just make sure you've got you're Insurance sorted & you're booked in somewhere on the day. Luckily I knew a friendly MOT station who had me perpetually booked in for a week
Old 14 February 2007, 11:43 AM
AlexJReid
Scooby Regular

I've looked at this page several times but somehow managed to miss what I needed to know. :

See second paragraph.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...cle/DG_4022583

Thanks all.
Old 14 February 2007, 12:49 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

I drove mine for several hundred miles while unregistered to complete the 'import run' - from south of London, to France, and back up to the Midlands (the car had previously been MoT'd).

In order to do this, I was advised to get a set of plates made up with the last 6 digits of the VIN number. Provided there was a plate on the car that was reasonably identifiable, it appeared to keep the police happy.

If you're only driving a few miles, you probably wouldn't need to do this!

It is perfectly possible to MoT and insure the car on the VIN, without needing a reg. number.
Old 14 February 2007, 01:22 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Take a look at one of the kit car sites - this comes up all the time. My understanding is that you need insurance (obviously), which is usually based on the chassis number, but that you can drive to and from the SVA centre without any plates. Just be prepared to be stopped by the police, you may have to prove where you're going and why, and of course there's always the risk that any copper who stops you won't be familiar with the rules even if you are.

That was a few years ago, though - rules may have changed since then.