Sponsored by:

RX-7 V Scoobs

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2007, 12:46 PM
ads00
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX-7 V Scoobs

Just wondered how they matched up against each other.

Anyone know stats or come up against the RX-7's??
Old 12 February 2007, 12:47 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

totally different beasts...do not compare in any way !
Old 12 February 2007, 12:53 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

my scoob running 258bhp is quicker than my mate rx7 running 500bhp,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, for about 30 yards, then he gets tracktion and ***** off pmsl

from what he said to me, they are pretty good, tail happy though
Old 12 February 2007, 12:56 PM
teamheath2
Scooby Regular

I have been in an RX-7 before I got my 98' Turbo.

I must admit, it was rapid, I wouldn't like to come up against one!!

My mate took me out in it, it went up to 150mph in no time at all, I love em, loads more than the RX-8's.

I don't think there are many standard ones kicking about either so beware!!
Old 12 February 2007, 01:11 PM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

yes totally different:

god for this though:

YouTube - Houx Annexe 2006 Mazda RX7

me and my mates at le mans this year, thats the quickest privately owned rx in the uk, running professionals this year at pod!
Old 12 February 2007, 01:14 PM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

Mad cars,one of my favourite cars made.
Old 12 February 2007, 02:19 PM
ads00
Scooby Regular

Default reason

The reason I asked was I was considering getting rid of my scoob and picking up an rx7. The scoob is great but doesnt feel that fast.

An Rx7 is stil fast but very low to the ground and the twitchy rear makes for an exciting ride.

What you all think?

Trending Topics

Old 12 February 2007, 02:41 PM
weslad
Scooby Regular

my mate got left for dead off one of them in his f355 , i dont know what had been done to it but it was rapid ! lol...............
Old 12 February 2007, 02:50 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

Originally Posted by ARM-Scooby
yes totally different:

god for this though:

YouTube - Houx Annexe 2006 Mazda RX7

me and my mates at le mans this year, thats the quickest privately owned rx in the uk, running professionals this year at pod!
i was there when that rx7 was doing burning outs on the mad round about.that one very quick rex
Old 12 February 2007, 02:52 PM
ice maiden
Scooby Regular

I have a friend with both a Type R rx7 and a P1......

he bought the P1 cos the RX is lethal in the winter......
Old 12 February 2007, 03:04 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

RX7 owner and previous scoob owner here, Didnt like the impreza anyway so Im going to side with the RX7 everyday. Proper drivers car IMO but expensive to run.
Old 12 February 2007, 03:07 PM
Sizer
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt mind having an RX7 one day, did look at a couple but not enough room in the back for the kids..
Old 12 February 2007, 03:17 PM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bootsy
i was there when that rx7 was doing burning outs on the mad round about.that one very quick rex
its even quicker now, although he gets a lot of problems and could have bought himself a house with the cash he has spent on it, its quicker now and he is currently working out how to make a removable single piece nose for it lol - wtf!

Great cars though and a lot more fun than a scoob, but point to point they arent any quicker than a scoob imho, straight line they are rapid, hitting 7s and 8s in australia for the 1/4 but thats with more rotors
Old 12 February 2007, 03:23 PM
Claaarkio
Scooby Regular

Best looking car ever made with performace and potential to fit the looks.

I'd love one but the threat of engine rebuilds and high fuel bills put me off.

One day i'm sure i'll have one
Old 12 February 2007, 04:21 PM
ads00
Scooby Regular

I can live with the high fuel bills, will get one just had a rebuild. I really am thinking bout going for the Rx7 and tuning a little. They are sexy cars.

Love the scoob but want a change.

Any ideas what other cars could settle my need for the adrenaline? Looking to spend round the 10k mark.
Old 12 February 2007, 04:22 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

I can help quite a lot here considering i've just sold my scoob and am waiting for my 95 Rex to be tweaked.

First of all, don't listen to all the "back stepping out ****"
Yes they are RWD but i've never been in a car more planted........I've been in my mates 600+ and I swear on my life it feels a lot more stable then my eibach lowered scooby ever did.
Of course if you don't respect it and understand you can't full throttle it too early coming out of the bends then you may as well buy a second shell and get prepared to use it.....

Secondly, the re-builds come in at around £1.5k.....if you get a ported block (i've gone for a large street port) then you're looking at £2-2.5k. Peanuts considering the cost of say a subaru engine.

Thirdly, they are not nearly as common on the road.....how many do you see compared to, lets say, a Subaru?

Then you have those ******* gorgeous lines of it that never make it look dated IMHO.....you've got cheaped road tax......only a 1.3! and if, like me, you found the Subaru boring to drive at the end and want a high powered car that makes you fell like YOU made that turn, YOU are in control....there isn't another option out there.....

If you don't need the 4 seater Subaru and you like driving (and more specifically, driving fast) then I honestly don't see another car out there.

Plus the RX8 didn't better the RX7.....they will still hold their value as long as you get a 95-99....Most major RX8 tuners are putting 13b engines in them!! thats got to tell you something......

Last edited by Tripple'O G; 12 February 2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12 February 2007, 04:34 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

is that true about the tax. i know the engine is a 1300 but i throught it would be top rate tax because of bhp output
Old 12 February 2007, 04:37 PM
ads00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tripple'O G
I can help quite a lot here considering i've just sold my scoob and am waiting for my 95 Rex to be tweaked.

First of all, don't listen to all the "back stepping out ****"
Yes they are RWD but i've never been in a car more planted........I've been in my mates 600+ and I swear on my life it feels a lot more stable then my eibach lowered scooby ever did.
Of course if you don't respect it and understand you can't full throttle it too early coming out of the bends then you may as well buy a second shell and get prepared to use it.....

Secondly, the re-builds come in at around £1.5k.....if you get a ported block (i've gone for a large street port) then you're looking at £2-2.5k. Peanuts considering the cost of say a subaru engine.

Thirdly, they are not nearly as common on the road.....how many do you see compared to, lets say, a Subaru?

Then you have those ******* gorgeous lines of it that never make it look dated IMHO.....you've got cheaped road tax......only a 1.3! and if, like me, you found the Subaru boring to drive at the end and want a high powered car that makes you fell like YOU made that turn, YOU are in control....there isn't another option out there.....

If you don't need the 4 seater Subaru and you like driving (and more specifically, driving fast) then I honestly don't see another car out there.

Plus the RX8 didn't better the RX7.....they will still hold their value as long as you get a 95-99....Most major RX8 tuners are putting 13b engines in them!! thats got to tell you something......

This is my feeling, dont need the 4 seater, love driving hard. The rex is gorgeous to look at. Cant really see any other option.

Any specific models you would recomend, would like to get one for less money and use the rest of the budget for mods.
Old 12 February 2007, 04:39 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Nope, tax is based on engine size......

Would you declare your bhp mods to the Postoffice???

And the engine isn't a 1.3 really.........it's the equiv of a 2.6....but it says 1.3 on the log book....so **** em....

Then find a dumb insurance company and get it insured as a 1.3.......it does happen.....
Old 12 February 2007, 04:47 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Where are you based fella?

The guy who's custom building mine has a few others ready to customise however the customer wants. They come with warranty, all new parts inclusive of the price....

In my honest opinion I wouldn't go for anything older than a 95.....The only differences in the years are exterior and interior styling.....but the newer/later cars hol their value.
For instance you can buy 93 3rd gens for £6k all day long that have goodies on them.....

Of course there are different models.......decent UK cars for example are rare as hens teeth.....they only made a couple of hundred, they had sunroofs, cruise control etc the jap version i'm sure is called a LX which is the same car.....just not a Uk car!

If I were you....i'd go for a 95 with a little bit of kit.
You can pick them up for around £7.5k and they'll still be worth more than the scoob will be in the long run......they're bringing out ANOTHER Subaru again arn't they? hhhhmmmm.......

PM me for more details
Old 12 February 2007, 04:54 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ARM-Scooby
its even quicker now, although he gets a lot of problems and could have bought himself a house with the cash he has spent on it, its quicker now and he is currently working out how to make a removable single piece nose for it lol - wtf!

Great cars though and a lot more fun than a scoob, but point to point they arent any quicker than a scoob imho, straight line they are rapid, hitting 7s and 8s in australia for the 1/4 but thats with more rotors
i've a video clip somewhere of that rx7 coming off the mad roundabout when a audi a3 trys to over take him.when a3 get aside of him he nails it leaving 2 long black lines on the road and the a3 just siting there gob smacked cool as ****
Old 12 February 2007, 04:59 PM
prince_of_tokyo
Scooby Regular

have had a couple of rex's and scoobs before...
rx7 are beautiful cars, fast and are one of the best handling rear wheel drives ive driven, but they are more top-end cars.
wheres scoobs go crap, rex's excel.

but, scoobys are better 0-say 90mph, but after that when both turbos have kicked in rx7, scoobys couldnt touch one

BUT...HOW BEAUTIFUL ARE RX7S EH???
Old 12 February 2007, 05:02 PM
prince_of_tokyo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ads00
The reason I asked was I was considering getting rid of my scoob and picking up an rx7. The scoob is great but doesnt feel that fast.

An Rx7 is stil fast but very low to the ground and the twitchy rear makes for an exciting ride.

What you all think?
THATS WHAT I DID FIRST TIME ROUND...AND THE FUEL CONSUMPTION HIT ME

AROUND 10-15MILES WITH A TENNERS WORTH OF FUEL...NO JOKE
Old 12 February 2007, 05:06 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prince_of_tokyo
THATS WHAT I DID FIRST TIME ROUND...AND THE FUEL CONSUMPTION HIT ME

AROUND 10-15MILES WITH A TENNERS WORTH OF FUEL...NO JOKE
******* hell you sure you didnt have a hole in your tank
Old 12 February 2007, 05:09 PM
prince_of_tokyo
Scooby Regular

nope lol, had another after that and not 2 much difference...but you also got 2 consider the way i drive em...lol

both were lightly modded, one was around 300bhp at the flywheel, the other about 330bhp atw's

Last edited by prince_of_tokyo; 12 February 2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12 February 2007, 05:16 PM
ads00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prince_of_tokyo
have had a couple of rex's and scoobs before...
rx7 are beautiful cars, fast and are one of the best handling rear wheel drives ive driven, but they are more top-end cars.
wheres scoobs go crap, rex's excel.

but, scoobys are better 0-say 90mph, but after that when both turbos have kicked in rx7, scoobys couldnt touch one

BUT...HOW BEAUTIFUL ARE RX7S EH???

You say that but I own a UK turbo 2000 with mods which aint slow but even as standard the rex 5.1 - 0-60mph. Its all about how you drive cars. my scoob needs to be kept in the 3500+ revs for turbo to be kicking and to have some acceleration in corners or I get lift off oversteer. From what I here the rex wankel roatary engine needs to be kept in higher rev range and only accelarate out of the corners without planting it.
Old 12 February 2007, 05:30 PM
prince_of_tokyo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ads00
You say that but I own a UK turbo 2000 with mods which aint slow but even as standard the rex 5.1 - 0-60mph. Its all about how you drive cars. my scoob needs to be kept in the 3500+ revs for turbo to be kicking and to have some acceleration in corners or I get lift off oversteer. From what I here the rex wankel roatary engine needs to be kept in higher rev range and only accelarate out of the corners without planting it.
yup around 5.1 for rex's, but you do know there rear wheel drives so they need time to get traction...you try having a say 30mph roll on race with a rex and a scooby and see who wins. my m8 has a 400bhp atw classic and another has a 439bhp atw rex and the rex takes him.

and rx7 do have alot of low down power due to the sequential turbo set-up, there less laggy cos they have a small primary turbo which kicks in v early and then a larger seconndary turbo which kicks in at 4500 and then it just flies off.

what im saying is my current type r scooby would take a rex on launch no probs, but after 100mph scoobys die down and thats where cars such as rx7's and supra take over...
Old 13 February 2007, 07:25 AM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

See I always argued that in the twisties the scoob would loose my mates rex.....Then we decided to test this theory and it's all rubbish......plus considering he's running a single turbo (you may know him POT, Dre, Laeeq. K and JD from MRC)

Thats when I decided all this AWD is rubbish.......
Plus it's all good nailing them to 90 but then when they scream past you and all you can do is watch..........I know which i'd rather drive.... hence why i've sold up and am awaiting the all destroying new toy....(the one i'm getting built is pretty high spec'd )

Rex's have their power delivery higher up the rev range but if you stay twin you'll have the best of both worlds..........(especially if you have modified twins on a street ported block that made 430atw on a single)

GGG
Old 13 February 2007, 09:42 AM
prince_of_tokyo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tripple'O G
See I always argued that in the twisties the scoob would loose my mates rex.....Then we decided to test this theory and it's all rubbish......plus considering he's running a single turbo (you may know him POT, Dre, Laeeq. K and JD from MRC)

Thats when I decided all this AWD is rubbish.......
Plus it's all good nailing them to 90 but then when they scream past you and all you can do is watch..........I know which i'd rather drive.... hence why i've sold up and am awaiting the all destroying new toy....(the one i'm getting built is pretty high spec'd )

Rex's have their power delivery higher up the rev range but if you stay twin you'll have the best of both worlds..........(especially if you have modified twins on a street ported block that made 430atw on a single)

GGG
yup laeeq is the 1 with the 439 atw rex
Old 13 February 2007, 10:00 AM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Yep...and the others are quicker.....

Shame he's selling up but deep down, I don't think he will.....

Quick Reply: RX-7 V Scoobs