Sponsored by:

New Golf GTI V's Scooby

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2007, 08:47 PM
danwrx4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Golf GTI V's Scooby

I was driving along today in my 1997 wrx auto on a dual carriagway when a new shaped golf gti game right up behind me, i pulled to the inside lane due to the fact its dark i'll never put my foot down just incase its the rozzers behind! Having seen it was a new shaped golf gti i thought fair enough and started to accelerate! Although i probally had a small amount of power more than he did it was quite evenly matched, to my surprise. Is this right or should the scoob of left him miles behind. I'm pretty sure it runs fine and definatly has no problems with boost. I believe the new VW mark 5 golf Gti is around 200 bhp but was under the impression my scoob was around 240 bhp.
Old 10 February 2007, 08:51 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

BHP, it's all TORQUE

Once rolling there'd be little in it. From standstill the Scoob's AWD grip will give a distinct advantage, and help in the corners if it's wet, but the Golf's FWD gives its lower power less to do (drivetrain loss) making it quite even. Scoobs no longer have a significant edge over the competition. I'm probably buying a Fabia diesel next week and it does 30-70 through the gears in 7.6s (Autocar test), a 305BHP STi PPP only betters that by 1.6s, but the Skoda gets 50-74mpg
Old 10 February 2007, 10:31 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

74 mpg?

Even the 1.4 only does 69 mpg extra urban.
Old 10 February 2007, 10:39 PM
Scooby Regular

woulnt have thought you would have much of a problem disposing of him,never driven an auto scoob could this be the reason?
Old 10 February 2007, 10:40 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Cordroyboy dont speak nonsense, go take a sleep pill!
Old 10 February 2007, 10:40 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Not a scientific result, but I did a test drive last week and after giving it some down some country roads, out of curiosoty I flipped the trip computer to mpg and that's what it read. Many people who have these cars report higher than quoted mpg, so I can but hope for when I get mine. I'll be getting a Revo 3 setting remap done, and one of the maps will be a powerless ultra-economical map for use by my driving school clients. they may think it's cool learning in the sporty version, but if I have it set right it will be lower powered than the 1.2
Old 10 February 2007, 10:44 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Who the hell wants to drive a Skoda though
Not that i am a badge snob

Originally Posted by corradoboy
BHP, it's all TORQUE

Once rolling there'd be little in it. From standstill the Scoob's AWD grip will give a distinct advantage, and help in the corners if it's wet, but the Golf's FWD gives its lower power less to do (drivetrain loss) making it quite even. Scoobs no longer have a significant edge over the competition. I'm probably buying a Fabia diesel next week and it does 30-70 through the gears in 7.6s (Autocar test), a 305BHP STi PPP only betters that by 1.6s, but the Skoda gets 50-74mpg
Old 10 February 2007, 10:50 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
Who the hell wants to drive a Skoda though
Not that i am a badge snob
I know where you're coming from, but the initial curiosity came when my mate SteveChaps off here answered a thread about "The best car you've ever owned". Out of about 6 Scoobs (Classics through to 05 STi PPP's), Cossie's (in their day), a Noble M12 3R and various other sports and performance cars, he chose his wifes Fabia as the best.

I need something small, economical, reliable and which retains good residuals for my business. I've done the road-going rall-car thing, and thoroughly enjoyed it and plan to return soon with a SpecC TypeRA (dream), but for now, the Skoda ticks every box except style.
Old 10 February 2007, 10:56 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

If it floats your boat at this moment in time then fair enough.
My Brother inlaw is garage manager for a Skoda dealership and he is always trying to persuade me to buy one. He has an Octavia RS Diesel which i must admit was quite quick but not my cup of tea.
Nik.

I know where you're coming from, but the initial curiosity came when my mate SteveChaps off here answered a thread about "The best car you've ever owned". Out of about 6 Scoobs (Classics through to 05 STi PPP's), Cossie's (in their day), a Noble M12 3R and various other sports and performance cars, he chose his wifes Fabia as the best.

I need something small, economical, reliable and which retains good residuals for my business. I've done the road-going rall-car thing, and thoroughly enjoyed it and plan to return soon with a SpecC TypeRA (dream), but for now, the Skoda ticks every box except style.
Old 11 February 2007, 01:52 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I've had some nice cars in my time but the one that's the 'best' has to be a suzuki sj413 J reg. Bought it for £1500 with a genuine 30k on the clock 3 years ago and it's sailed every MOT and never broken down. There's a lot to be said for very good cars that aren't in any way considered sports cars.

Probably going to get another VAG diesel myself now as I've remembered how much Imprezas like a drink.
Old 11 February 2007, 02:13 AM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Sorry chaps, but it has to be said AGAIN!!

Never in my f*****g life have I seen so many moaners and groaners Scoobys on a Scooby site....but a Skoda, get a life!

Suprised that any of the "real" Scooby veterans and fans put up with this bollocks.
Old 11 February 2007, 02:21 AM
II HUFF II
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Janspeed

Never in my f*****g life have I seen so many moaners and groaners Scoobys on a Scooby site....but a Skoda, get a life!

Suprised that any of the "real" Scooby veterans and fans put up with this bollocks.
Contradictory Hypocrite? ...
Old 11 February 2007, 02:55 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The Skoda is a great little car, for what it is and it's target market. I don't recall moaning or groaning about Scoobs, and fondly look back on several years of ownership and the prospect of getting another when the time is right. My only negative opinion is the universally held fact that Scoobs simply aren't as far ahead of the competition as they were. Clio's with nearly 200bhp and fantastically rewarding chassis', Civic's with their high-revving VTECs, Focus' with excellent composure. The Scooby trump card is AWD, but when it comes to power the rivals are coming closer nowadays with a host of hothatch's with over 200bhp. Performance diesels are the latest competition, and as any driver knows, although big bhp will get you off the line quick, especially with AWD, it's torque that keeps that surge of acceleration going and diesel have it in spades. The current VAG Pumpe Deuse engines can easily hit 300ftlb, and the next generation common rail due soon will move it on further. We can all wax lyrical about wet and twisties, and trust me, my Scoob was awesome in these situations with AST's and many other chassis mods. There is no doubt in my mind that there are very few other cars that would hope to keep up on a quiet country road, but as I don't have time to venture into the wilds these days and will be covering in excess of 20k miles a years as a driving instructor, the Fabia (or Ibiza/Leon/Polo/Golf) is virtually the perfect car. With a Revo 3 stage remap, Jabba ARB's and Eibach springs and dampers it will do me just fine until I get some money saved for that SpecC RA.

I only groaned when I read Janspeeds post
Old 11 February 2007, 08:02 AM
satilaboy
Scooby Regular

the golf was probably REVO'd up. I've got a cupra 180 at the minute with a revo remap to 210 approx and can quite happily pull away from the standard gti initially and can keep up with most other standard marques (within reason). the cupra has plenty of power but tends to be all over the place as everything is through the front wheels, and in the bends the body roll is chronic and the **** end is twitchy as hell: that's why i'm after a scoob!
Old 11 February 2007, 08:04 AM
satilaboy
Scooby Regular

my mate got around 45mpg in his fabia vrs when driving like a nun and an average of between 35-40 the rest of the time and he has an anvil for a right foot
Old 11 February 2007, 09:06 AM
fattb
Scooby Regular

I had an MK5 GTI with DSG before my scoob are they are deceptively quick, especially with the DSG box's nigh on instant changes with no loss of momentum the 2.0T pulls from 1700 rpm

Having only compared it with a few remaped TT's @ 260 bhp they were only able to edge away in straight line

Why did i buy a Scoob ? because i wanted 4WD, liked the power delivery and whilst the Golf is undoubtedly a very well sorted car it is just a GOLF
Old 11 February 2007, 09:12 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

And who the **** are you to decide what's a good post and what isnt
Old 11 February 2007, 11:03 AM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Before getting my 06 Sti, i drove a new GTi with DSG, and have to say that it didnt feel alot slower than the MY04 WRX that I had at the time. The GTi was more reponsive around town but just didnt have the punch higher up. I guess it depends on what you want, the golf is better built, solid residuals, but to me was characterless and certainly no scoob, hence sticking with subaru.
Old 11 February 2007, 11:08 AM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
And who the **** are you to decide what's a good post and what isnt
Defintion of irony......
Old 11 February 2007, 11:41 AM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

i ve got a 2005 leon fr tdi which is remapped to around 190 bhp at the fly and around 290 lbs torque up from standard of 150 bhp and 226 lbs. on a run if i stick at around 65 /70 i can quiet easliy get 58 /60 mpg if i boot it through the gears it drops to around mid 30's motoring back and forth to work in traffic it still does around 37 /40 to gallon. the problem i have is the amount of torque it had before remap and especially now it is remapped, make it crap when you want to floor it as the front wheels spin the traction control cuts in and stops you dead in 1st 2nd 3 rd and sometimes 4th, thats why i am looking at impreza's 4 wheel drive to get the power down pity they didnt sell the 4 wheel drive cupra over herenever understood that as you could only get it in europe, otherwise i think power 4 wheel drive like the scooby would give a lot of more cars a fright from standing starts especially when remaped and getting around 300 bhp easily
Old 11 February 2007, 11:50 AM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

As a personal view,i dont think you should be the person to decide on whats good for a forum thread,here or anywhere.
The moderators have that job,infact its quite simple really if you dont like it dont read it.

As you so kindly put it
Never in my f*****g life have i seen so many moaners and groaners.
Where you seem to be the one moaning and groaning!
Old 11 February 2007, 12:13 PM
danwrx4
Scooby Regular

So would the bottom line be that most standard wrx autos would struggle with the mark v golf gti, or do i have problems? As i said i did slightly have the better over it but not as much as i would of thought! I believe the autobox does give me a slight disadvantage.
Old 11 February 2007, 12:16 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

This thread makes a change, normally it's an M3 or a 172 clio
Old 11 February 2007, 12:26 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

thank your lucky stars it was'nt the ford asbo......they can move some
Old 11 February 2007, 12:38 PM
fattb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by danwrx4
So would the bottom line be that most standard wrx autos would struggle with the mark v golf gti, or do i have problems? As i said i did slightly have the better over it but not as much as i would of thought! I believe the autobox does give me a slight disadvantage.
And if the Golf did have DSG that would disadvantage you as well
Old 11 February 2007, 12:54 PM
danwrx4
Scooby Regular

DONT MEAN TO SOUND STUPID BUT WHATS DSG?
Old 11 February 2007, 12:58 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Golf with 200bhp, auto WRX with 240bhp ... won't be much in it will there. Even less in it if the Golf was modded and WRX not.

TX.
Old 11 February 2007, 03:28 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Was out visiting a surgery in St. Andrews a couple of weeks ago, decided to take the Cup, driving through Cupar up past the Subaru garage I see one of these new Golf GTi's come racing up behind me. Not being one to start these things I waited to see what he'd do after one round about, sure enough he was glued to my bumper, so the next round about I was ready. Had to stop, so first gear, got the other side of the round about and nailed it, litteraly put 4/5 car lengths on him up to about 80/90, wasn't even a race, knowing how fast the Cup is with my mods, I knew it wouldn't be a contest.
Old 11 February 2007, 05:06 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

I have to agree with luckyscoob. I test drove a scoob and a Golf GTi back to back and good though the Golf was, I was bored after 10 minutes. I went home and ordered a WRX and saved 5 grand in the process. The Focus ST is a good drive, but I can't get excited about a Focus.

Also, I'm not sure about corradoboy's figures. I believe the 30-70 time of an STi is 4.7 secs (2.9 faster than a Fabia VRs) and that's not even with PPP! On the road this would feel like an eternity.

Apologies to you, though, as I've always found your posts very useful during my 2 years of ownership.
Old 11 February 2007, 05:45 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Standard STi is more like 5.7s 30-70, PPP'd will be about 5.2s. Autocar tested the Fabia at 7.6s, and on the road, 1.9s (and even 2.4s for PPP) will not feel like an age. The Coarser I'm currently driving takes an age at 20+s. As I said earlier, for what the Fab is it's an outstanding package. Getting back to the original point, I do believe Scoobs are threatened more these days by other marques. They still have the edge, but less of one.

Quick Reply: New Golf GTI V's Scooby