ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

2.5 WRX Back Box

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2007, 09:41 AM
BackToSubaru
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2.5 WRX Back Box Questions - Information needed

Returning to a new Impreza after owning a superb green with prodrive gold wheels 1998 classic in 2001 for a year, have my order placed for an brand new 2007 model WRX. I thought the car drove fantastic on the test drive, much improved on the classic, less wanting to spin if lifting off or heavy breaking into a corner. Only issue was the quiet exhaust, it was totally silent which is fine on the motorway but a little dull elsewhere.

After searching the forum it seems most of you think a WR Sport back box is a good choice for a nice sound and does not void any warranty. Will it effect torque or horsepower, how loud is it? I had a ScoobySport back box on the classic which sounded nice at low speeds and was not intrusive at high speeds, I am looking for a similar sound without effecting driveability, any thoughts?

Last edited by BackToSubaru; 08 February 2007 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Title change
Old 08 February 2007, 11:00 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

I was under the imression that all a back box does is vary the sound and appearance of the rear of the car, I can't imagine it improving the performance.

Did you go UK or import?

What part of Barnsley are you from? I'm from there too.
Old 08 February 2007, 11:35 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

I initially put a Prodrive back box on my MY06 but was still not happy with the sound, have now added a scoobyparts de-resonator section and much better, have got a burble back, not overly loud just a bit more on tickover and when the right foot goes down. Performance wise it seems to have slight better response and pick up.

Hope that helps.
Old 08 February 2007, 12:15 PM
BackToSubaru
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for that, will look into the deresonator. Barnsley, live in Dodworth. Getting a UK spec Import, only £14095 on the road!
Old 08 February 2007, 09:38 PM
BasingstokeScooby
Scooby Newbie

I thought the same when I bought my06wrx last March. Had to get it changed when my mate said it sounded like a Micra !

Local Subaru supplied and fitted a prodrive rear box on to it and it made a big difference - got the distinctive burble I wanted. As this is my first scooby, I cant compare to any others, it does however make the same amount of noise as my neighbours 03WRX that has been PPP'd. good thing as well is that it doesnt effect the warranty - job done