Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Subaru Proven/Direct Used Scoobs: worth the extra £££????

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2007, 02:10 AM
satilaboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Subaru Proven/Direct Used Scoobs: worth the extra £££????

I'm looking to swap my Cupra for a Scoob this year or early next year.

I've done an Autotrader, Pistonheads etc. search and have also trawled the Official Subaru site for "proven"/"direct" used wrx or sti, particularly 02/03 (maybe 04) in black or silver.

There seems to be quite a big difference in the prices between cars of same /very similar spec, year, milage etc. between the official subaru dealers and other used car dealers. One example was a 53 plate silver WRX @ £9995 approx 29,000 from a local used car dealer and a 53 plate silver wrx @ £12,500 with about 23,000 odd miles at my local Subaru garage

Subaru talk up the benefits/piece of mind aspects of their "used"/"proven" used cars on their site and obviously I'd like a car that has not been thrashed before/since it has been out of warranty and is as standard as possible. The subaru dealer blurb sound great but is this just dealer **** speak or a genuine benefit and can you realy be sure the car is tip top and not half shagged???

I'm wary and mistrusting of car dealers in general, but i'd be more likely to buy an approved used scoob if there were real benefits rather than from another dealer who has less to lose by selling you a problem car. That said, i'm all for getting the most for my cash too so if the benefits of approved stock was minimal i'd take the best deal and pocket any savings for my mod list.

Anyway, sorry to go on. What I'm really asking is for people's opinions/experiences of buying approved used, "direct", "proven" scoobs and if they think it is worth the extra £££

cheers,

Sat.

PS. here is the subaru site's blurb:

What is Subaru "Direct"
The Subaru Direct programme allows your Dealer access to hundreds more cars - each one comprehensively checked, thoroughly prepared and backed with all the guarantees of the Proven brand.
Vehicles comply with their original new Subaru specification and any replacement items are, of course, Subaru approved, conforming precisely with the original specification of the vehicle.
When you buy a Subaru Direct car from an authorised UK Subaru Dealer you can trust that the car you've chosen will meet the stringent criteria of the Proven programme. That's why all "Direct" vehicles pass through Subaru UK's preparation centre, where Subaru's professional team use all their experience to ensure that your car comes with complete peace of mind.
Every Subaru "Direct" car therefore receives :

A preliminary vehicle inspection, assessment and evaluation.
A comprehensive mechanical check or, the next manufacturers service ( for vehicles within 1500 miles of the next service interval, only).
Extensive and thorough valeting, inside and out, for a fresh, crisp interior and gleaming bodywork.
A final vehicle inspection to ensure that every aspect is right before your car is loaded onto the transporter.

Last edited by satilaboy; 08 February 2007 at 02:14 AM. Reason: quote added
Old 08 February 2007, 11:41 AM
jayltee1
Scooby Regular

I too looked through the Subaru dealers list on the web, but only cos I wanted a delivery mileage motor. I think with the second hand cars they are selling are overpriced as they give you a Subaru warranty with it. Other traders will only give you their own warranty. There is nothing to say a car from Subaru has not been thrashed same as one from any other trader or private - it's all a gamble. Paying extra to Subaru means at least you get Subaru to fix things that go bang. Probs cheaper to get an AA/RAC inspection for £150 (or whatever it is) and then they cover you for some stuff, plus you hopefully get a decent mechanic to give you an unbiased opinion of the state of the car. Good Luck.

Last edited by jayltee1; 08 February 2007 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08 February 2007, 12:34 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

I bought from a non-subaru dealer. The car was cheaper and the £2500 that you will save (going from your figures) would either cover the cost of a newer model or a lot of garage time should they arise on the older one. I'd not buy 'direct'.