Sponsored by:

sti rear shock absorber saga - again

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2007, 02:59 PM
MSM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sti rear shock absorber saga - again

just had the 48 month service on my03 sti. when i dropped the car off at the dealers i mentioned that the near side shock absorber was clunking again. it has already had 2 near side & 1 offside replacements - all under warranty -the last lot were supposed to be a redisgned unit to stop this happening. a further new shocker was ordered and i was informed by the dealer that they would supply & fit this for a reduced labour charge of £37.00 (!!!!) per hour with parts at cost. a total of £232.00. not being very happy at this i phoned subaru customer care and to cut a long story short they agreed to pay 50% of the costs. should i persue subaru to try and get a full refund for the costs? after all this topic appears over & over again. have subaru designed, manufactured & sold something which is not fit for purpose?

sorry to bring this up again but i feel subaru are getting off lightly in regards to this ongiong problem.

all sensible comments will be read with interest.
Old 03 February 2007, 03:32 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Fitted a set of 05 sti rear shocks to mine,problem solved!

Speak to your dealer and ask if they will use these instead as a good will gesture

Just to check,the sti 03 struts are red,the 05 ones are black,ask for the black ones,as mine where replaced several times with the red ones,never solved the issue,so i demanded the kyb 05 jobbies,never had a problem since

mark
Old 03 February 2007, 03:36 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ethanrob
Fitted a set of 05 sti rear shocks to mine,problem solved!

Speak to your dealer and ask if they will use these instead as a good will gesture

Just to check,the sti 03 struts are red,the 05 ones are black,ask for the black ones,as mine where replaced several times with the red ones,never solved the issue,so i demanded the kyb 05 jobbies,never had a problem since

mark
Interesting info that as i am currently looking to buy one of these..............cheers .
Old 03 February 2007, 03:58 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

From my non professional legal perspective you could indeed have a claim under the trade descriptions act. I believe the claim would be against the supplying dealer, and the fact of many replacement parts under warranty could well support your case.

Seems to be to be quite clear that such a part should indeed last much longer than they are for you. Of course, if you were to pursue this it would end up in the small claims court. You would need to employ the services on an independant expert engineer whose status is recognised by a court of law.

It would also be necessary for him to have the opportunity to inspect the parts that have failed before rectification work is carried out.

I have fought an issue like this against a dealer that supplied a Peugeot 106 GTi (total engine failure with less than 20k on the clock). They took it all the way to the wire, trying to make me jump through hoops, but in the end they settled entirely in my favour not wishing to lose in court and suffer the negative press.

Try and negotiate with them, and make sure you don't close doors. If you want the legal option to be open to you, it must be possible for both an independant engineer to inspect the car to support your case, and for them to have the opportunity to inspect the car to defend against your claims. The damaged parts and the car (to look at how they are mounted) must be made available.
Old 03 February 2007, 04:46 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

phone Powerstation and order some AST's, job done.
Old 04 February 2007, 07:25 AM
MSM
Scooby Regular

ethanrob - yes they are the red ones, and guess what the new replacement one is also a red one. i think a phone call to subaru customer care may be the order of the day on monday.

luminous - dony forget that i,m not the only one with this problem, i would suspect that a large number of the 03/04 sti blobeye owners have been in the same situation. how about a poll to ascertain the full extent of this situation?
Old 04 February 2007, 09:13 AM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Yes matey!

When mine where changed for the forth time,i spoke to the parts manager after the order was readied,and asked him to order the black 05 ones,as i had read on here that someone bought these to replace and rectify the problem,just the rears though as the fronts dont line up!

I still have a dull thud on my rear,but thats my amp as i cannot be bothered to re-mount it securly

mark