Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

New year, new job, new country...new car??

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2007, 02:24 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New year, new job, new country...new car??

I have been offered a teaching job in Dubai which starts in June this year.
The position is for 3 years with a one year probationary period and all accommodation expenses are included in the package. I really can't wait and am looking forward to working in such a beautiful place.

The only problem is keeping my pride and joy. As i will be out of the uk for several years its just not viable to keep the Scooby, as much as I hate to admit it, it looks as though my pride and joy will have to go. I have researched shipping costs to Dubai and it's not that expensive however I have decided that a lhd motor would be a better option and as fuel costs won’t be an issue when in the middle east I plan on the next car having a BIG engine (v8/v12)

I'm ecstatic but so terribly sad at the same time

I have this great opportunity to work in such a beautiful country but will have to sell a car that i wanted for ages and love so much. The fact that the car has just had a major 30k service, 6months tax and brand new Excedy organic sports clutch fitted doesn't help matters

Last edited by morpheus1870; 29 January 2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old 29 January 2007, 02:47 PM
EmEm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by morpheus1870
I have been offered a teaching job in Dubai which starts in June this year.
The position is for 3 years with a one year probationary period and all accommodation expenses are included in the package. I really can't wait and am looking forward to working in such a beautiful place.

The only problem is keeping my pride and joy. As i will be out of the uk for several years its just not viable to keep the Scooby, as much as I hate to admit it, it looks as though my pride and joy will have to go. I have researched shipping costs to Dubai and it's not that expensive however I have decided that a lhd motor would be a better option and as fuel costs won’t be an issue when in the middle east I plan on the next car having a BIG engine (v8/v12)

I'm ecstatic but so terribly sad at the same time

I have this great opportunity to work in such a beautiful country but will have to sell a car that i wanted for ages and love so much. The fact that the car has just had a major 30k service, 6months tax and brand new Excedy organic sports clutch fitted doesn't help matters
Can you not store her, or have a VERY trust worthy friend who'll look after her??
Old 29 January 2007, 09:21 PM
~DrEaM~
Scooby Regular

can you please hold on to her for abit longer? as you are leaving on June?
Old 29 January 2007, 09:50 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ~DrEaM~
can you please hold on to her for abit longer? as you are leaving on June?
Sure can, not desperate to sell, if i don't get what it's worth she's staying. The position starts in June and I'm planning on moving out there at the end of march/begining of April so I'm there for a couple of months before the job starts....can't wait, was gutted about the car but now I'm getting excited as I will be based not too far from Sports City and the new F1 track!!! Happy Days!
Old 29 January 2007, 09:50 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Good luck with the job in Dubai!!!!!

Shame you have to leave that stunning Scooby behind!!!!!!
Old 29 January 2007, 09:52 PM
Mangel
Scooby Regular

Go on buy it back, you know you want to!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 29 January 2007, 10:00 PM
collierm
Scooby Regular

Your making the right choice, my folks have lived in Dubai for the last 20 years and I visit regularly. Sports City is excellent, make sure to visit the indoor ski slope, Wild Wadi water park, jet skiing on the creek and go out past Mirdif on the outskirts of Dubai on a Friday afternoon and go quad biking in the desert, absolutely brilliant.

For some reason, Impreza's are frowned upon in Dubai and a lot of the fast ones can be real buggers to get through local approval. I've only ever seen two, and they were both owned by the Royal Family.

If you want a V8, I'd recommend either the Chevrolet Monaro (same as here), the four door Lumina SS (same engine, body of an Omega) or a V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee. All are cheap as chips out there to buy, insure and run.

Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

Matt
Old 29 January 2007, 10:10 PM
34srm
Scooby Regular

good look with new job
Old 30 January 2007, 08:28 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mangel
Go on buy it back, you know you want to!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I could!!!!!

morpheus1870 if you want, I could look after your car for you, until you come back!!!!
Old 30 January 2007, 10:31 AM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
I wish I could!!!!!

morpheus1870 if you want, I could look after your car for you, until you come back!!!!
Old 30 January 2007, 10:33 AM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by collierm
Your making the right choice, my folks have lived in Dubai for the last 20 years and I visit regularly. Sports City is excellent, make sure to visit the indoor ski slope, Wild Wadi water park, jet skiing on the creek and go out past Mirdif on the outskirts of Dubai on a Friday afternoon and go quad biking in the desert, absolutely brilliant.

For some reason, Impreza's are frowned upon in Dubai and a lot of the fast ones can be real buggers to get through local approval. I've only ever seen two, and they were both owned by the Royal Family.

If you want a V8, I'd recommend either the Chevrolet Monaro (same as here), the four door Lumina SS (same engine, body of an Omega) or a V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee. All are cheap as chips out there to buy, insure and run.

Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

Matt
Thanks Matt, like the idea of the Monaro!
Old 30 January 2007, 01:02 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

A friend moved out to Dubai for 6 months. That was nearly 2 years ago. Loves it! Also gets to go snowboarding in their snowdome.

STi's will still be here when you get back