ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

new wrx - worth a drive - yes!!

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2000, 04:11 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I had the chance today to drive the new turbo wrx curtosy of Anthony Betts Subaru of Milton Keynes at a dealer drive lanch in Oxfordshire as a guest - thanks to Anthony & also Stuart who took me there & back.

Like a lot of people the styling to me was a big turn off but the more I looked at it the better it got. With the subtle mods displayed at the motor show it has grown on me (still needs a big rear wing) and rally front lights though.

But to the driving. So much more refined, quiter, better build quality and better material and equipment spec. I though that it was to refined but I have done 48k since jan99 in my my99 and this refinement I think will grown on me and after a while you will ask how we lived with the 'old' model.

The only indication of speed was a glance at the speedo, the car went about its business in such a smooth manner. I missed the turbo kick and noise (ss mid & rear with itg filter) but with an after market box I am sure that you could still enjoy this. Prodrive parts will be a plenty and a ppp and suspension mods are not far away. The seats are ok but rally seats (the 5 door already has these??) I feel are a must. The car does not crash & bang over rough roads, no under steer or tramling was noticed (although we were not going full tilt) at the speeds we encountered and the little bit of motorway driving was smooth & relaxed.

I love my car and grin every time I go for a blat in it and after seeing the new wrx at the motor show I thought not for me, tried the P1 (not worth the 10k and a dismal px offer on my car - IMHO) and settled to the fact that I would keep my car for 12 -18 months and look then at the STI or an other mark. The upshot of today is that I am considering putting my name on a list for a wrx with Anthony Betts MK.

Final thanks to the dealer. While I was away, my boost pressure (lack of was fixed) solinoid replaced and front discs were changed as they were warped. Brian in service there knows his stuff!

simon

[This message has been edited by simo (edited 16 November 2000).]
Old 14 November 2000, 04:46 PM
Maxwell Straker
Scooby Regular

Ah, the force is powerful in this one........come over to the dark side.

The last 2 months is seeing a definite mood change, more acceptance of the new genre and realistic appraisals of the 'old' model and its limitations.

The GL will still look poo though (IMHO ofcourse)
Old 14 November 2000, 04:56 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

How has the new model overcome the old ones dynamic limitations?
Same old engine - slightly tweaked.
Same old brakes.
Same old suspension.
Bigger wheels - groundbreaking stuff eh?
Wider track may help make up for the fact that the car is 130kgs heavier(mostly over the front where understeer will be most affected).
I am unconvinced. Remember that Golf GTI's got bigger and heavier and more refined, but not better 'drivers' cars.
Chuck
PS. Of course it's worth a test drive though, I'm not gonna bite my nose off to spite me face, it may drive far better than the published figures so far suggest.

[This message has been edited by chuckster (edited 14 November 2000).]
Old 14 November 2000, 05:39 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Smooth & refined, not got a thesaurus to hand but doesn't that translate to slow and boring?

"The only indication of speed was a glance at the speedo, the car went about its business in such a smooth manner." seems like a quote from a A8 or Jag review!

Pipe and slippers anyone.

B
Old 14 November 2000, 06:03 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Question

Chuckster,

I'm as cynical as you about the new car, which is worse for me since I spun my MY00 into a tree. However I have been reading the literature and surely your points are not quite accurate?

Chassis revised?
Suspension improved?
Brakes improved (bigger rear disks)?

I don't know about the engine but surely the remapping of the torque curve must make a difference?
Old 14 November 2000, 10:38 PM
Kevin2000
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mr dippy,sorry to see you poor car.The chuckster is acting a bit ignorant I think.I could write a thousand words on the difference between the old and new model.According to him it just has new wheels!!! Ye he sounds well informed.
Old 14 November 2000, 10:44 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry

All these people getting invites to car launches. I had a letter from Adams of Aylesbury saying they would do something soon but that was ages ago!

Has anyone been invited to an Adams launch party yet?

F
Old 15 November 2000, 12:01 AM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

I think a lot of you are being too black and white.

The new car is never going to be smooth and refined. It hasn't turned into a Bentley during it's shape change. I'm hoping that the new car will add a touch of refinement to a winning formula. Compared to almost all Mundano type rep machines the new car will still be raw.
Ok, compared to the old shape, not as hard edged maybe, but it most definately is not a 'fluffy bunny'.
If you want refinement and smoothness, yes, buy a Saab. If you want raw edged, buy a MY99/00, but there is a gap inbetween and I'm hoing the new car fills it.

blubs
Old 15 November 2000, 06:25 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Red face

Who was so well informed that he advised everyone to kane their cars during the run in period????????
Old 15 November 2000, 08:35 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Simon, I'm not trying to imply you made a bad decision, just that judging from your comments, and reviews I've read of the car, it is not the same decision I'd make.
Comfort, refinement and equipment spec are not issues I am concerned with in my current Subaru. If I'm driving up the motorway I'd rather be in an E class Merc, sure, but more than that I'd rather be off the motorway and in the twisties. I think the current car is too much of a compromise in refinement and comfort for alot of people, and the new car would seem to address this well.
Regards,
Chuck
Old 15 November 2000, 11:10 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Good points by Chucky egg
Old 15 November 2000, 11:26 AM
harryh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I agree with banshi. I like the fact that the Impreza is NOT refined and smooth. If I'd wanted smooth and refined I'd have bought a Saab or a Volvo, but since I bought a Subaru I suppose I must not have wanted that. It's part of the Imprezas nature, a fluffy bunny of a car it ain't and if Subaru have softened it in the new model then it's not only it's looks that I dislike. Stupid to take a winning formula and change it. Like they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

[This message has been edited by harryh (edited 15 November 2000).]
Old 15 November 2000, 11:34 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by chuckster:
<B>
Same old engine - slightly tweaked.
Same old brakes.
Same old suspension.
Bigger wheels - groundbreaking stuff eh?
Wider track may help make up for the fact that the car is 130kgs heavier(mostly over the front where understeer will be most affected).
(edited 14 November 2000).][/quote]

Much like the 22B you drive then???