Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone gone from Focus RS to Scooby Sti UK or vice versa?

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2007, 05:04 PM
chriz1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone gone from Focus RS to Scooby Sti UK or vice versa?

Thinking about doing the chage from my Focus RS to a Scooby STI UK any1 done this move or vice versa,
Can you advise me on running costs.
Driveability

Thanks.
Old 25 January 2007, 05:09 PM
wrxcraig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chriz1
Thinking about doing the chage from my Focus RS to a Scooby STI UK any1 done this move or vice versa,
Can you advise me on running costs.
Driveability

Thanks.
i get about 200-250 miles form a full tank which is about £55, but am i right in saying that the focus has a smaller tank, my m8 has got the st and it costs him about £30 for full tank.
Old 25 January 2007, 05:33 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Sti better by a mile
Old 25 January 2007, 05:44 PM
Pakolainen
Scooby Regular

on a biased but unbiased opinion (???), friend bought 6 months ago an RS, looks the mutts nuts, but he's been majorly dissapointed with it, albeit it's here in Finland, only 12 in the country, 3 for sale at the same time, and he's been in and out of the garage almost every onth with engine problems, i on the other hand in my MY05 WRX, have had nothing but bliss, she drinks a lot, but that comes with ownership.

Not sure if it's what you're wnating to hear. but my tuppence worth
Old 25 January 2007, 05:46 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

I had a Focus RS in 2005 and i thought it was absolutely fantastic to drive,the performance was great as standard(i left mine standard aswell) and the handling for a powerfull front wheel drive car was absolutely amazing.However,economy was only about 18mpg overall if you enjoyed driving it(so similar to the Scoob),and for me,a 3 door became impractical on a daily basis.

When i started to look for something to replace it,i immediately thought of the STI myself,and when i drove one,i was left pretty underwhelmed by it at the time,but now,2 years on having owned various other cars in between (E46 M3,Leon Cupra R 225,Ariel Atom,A6 2.7 Twin Turbo and some others),and just sold my Classic Turbo i am now only considering an STI(or an Evo),as once you own a Scoob they do tend to get under your skin...............and they are easily modded !!

So if you are considering buying either,or have one and want to go to the other one i don't think you will go wrong as they are both excellent at what they do(they just go about it in different ways) .
Old 25 January 2007, 06:21 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

New STi in the region of 27k
Focus seems to be about 20k
Old 25 January 2007, 06:27 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by powerman1
New STi in the region of 27k
Focus seems to be about 20k
RS only around £9-10K

Trending Topics

Old 25 January 2007, 06:51 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, Gone from a 315bhp MY04 WRX and a 380bhp Evo VII GSR to a Focus RS, and I really do love the FRS at the moment which ive owned for 4 months, Id go as far as saying that I prefered the RS to the Evo VII, but Im not 100% on what I prefered more the Scooby or the Focus RS!

When i get bored of the FRS I will have another Scooby, without any hesitation as they really are a awesome car, But running costs on the FRS is so much better then what I used to pay on the Scoob and the Evo, not to mention the cheaper insurance which kind of makes me love the car even more!!!!

My RS has a few mods on when I bought and id say its probably running over 300+lb/ft now with the mods ive added and I would say its definatly quicker then my old Scooby but its just putting the power to the road that can be a nightmare, especially when the roads are damp or icy like they are now.

The one thing I love about the RS is that everytime I put my footdown, it gives me that rush that the scooby didnt give me, the scooby seems a lot smoother in terms of how the power is delievered and you probaly going quicker then what it feels(more stable), where as the RS you put your footdown, hold on tight and fight the steering wheel to keep it in a staright line, which I kind of like, its just that by the time the car has got traction any decent scooby would have shot of like a dart, and dont matter how much power you have your not going to catch it once its 1/2 mile down the road.

All I can say is test drive a scoob, you will either fall in love with it(which you probably will) Or you might not like it and keep the RS, simple as.

John
FRS 2930
Old 25 January 2007, 06:54 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bighead
RS only around £9-10K

Paid £15k for my FRS 4 months ago with 18k miles on the clock. You would be pushed to find a decent one at those prices!!!!! I think you would be looking at £13-£16k and maybe £18k for one thats done under 10k miles and hardly been used!!!!
Old 25 January 2007, 07:02 PM
Andy-pay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Hi mate, Gone from a 315bhp MY04 WRX and a 380bhp Evo VII GSR to a Focus RS, and I really do love the FRS at the moment which ive owned for 4 months, Id go as far as saying that I prefered the RS to the Evo VII, but Im not 100% on what I prefered more the Scooby or the Focus RS!

When i get bored of the FRS I will have another Scooby, without any hesitation as they really are a awesome car, But running costs on the FRS is so much better then what I used to pay on the Scoob and the Evo, not to mention the cheaper insurance which kind of makes me love the car even more!!!!

My RS has a few mods on when I bought and id say its probably running over 300+lb/ft now with the mods ive added and I would say its definatly quicker then my old Scooby but its just putting the power to the road that can be a nightmare, especially when the roads are damp or icy like they are now.

The one thing I love about the RS is that everytime I put my footdown, it gives me that rush that the scooby didnt give me, the scooby seems a lot smoother in terms of how the power is delievered and you probaly going quicker then what it feels(more stable), where as the RS you put your footdown, hold on tight and fight the steering wheel to keep it in a staright line, which I kind of like, its just that by the time the car has got traction any decent scooby would have shot of like a dart, and dont matter how much power you have your not going to catch it once its 1/2 mile down the road.

All I can say is test drive a scoob, you will either fall in love with it(which you probably will) Or you might not like it and keep the RS, simple as.

John
FRS 2930
WRX and tuned FRS - as above makes sense, but guy mentioned STi, which is whole heap better then WRX, IMO (had both, STi superb!)
Old 25 January 2007, 08:31 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

I drove the ST Focus recently and while I thought the interior was nice, the performance never reared its head, but to be fair it is a hot hatch as opposed to the STi/Evo.

Mog
Old 25 January 2007, 10:46 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy-pay
WRX and tuned FRS - as above makes sense, but guy mentioned STi, which is whole heap better then WRX, IMO (had both, STi superb!)
STi is the better car between the WRX if they where both standard, but a Scooby is a Scooby they are still expesnive to run and they share near enough the same parts, I was comparing my old WRX(315bhp) AP 6-pots, coilovers etc etc, which is probably better then a standard STi PPP, to my current car the FRS, to give him some sort of idea of both cars.
Old 25 January 2007, 10:49 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mog
I drove the ST Focus recently and while I thought the interior was nice, the performance never reared its head, but to be fair it is a hot hatch as opposed to the STi/Evo.

Mog
Sat in a Focus ST at the dealers the otherday and I didnt like the interior, Focus RS is much better in looks, performance and everything, even the drivers look better looking, but I would say that!!!!!!!
Old 26 January 2007, 12:21 AM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

FOCUS RS = OK
SUBARU = BETTER
Old 26 January 2007, 01:51 PM
chriz1
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys
Old 26 January 2007, 02:28 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

You'll get about 240 miles from a tank on the STi (£43)
Old 26 January 2007, 08:15 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

STi is the better car between the WRX if they where both standard, but a Scooby is a Scooby they are still expesnive to run and they share near enough the same parts, I was comparing my old WRX(315bhp) AP 6-pots, coilovers etc etc, which is probably better then a standard STi PPP, to my current car the FRS, to give him some sort of idea of both cars.
Have driven Johns FRS and IMHO they're a great car, particularly this one with the mods, makes a very quick 'real world' performance car, even with traction issues in the lower gears..

As said, test drive both as they're quite different cars..

BTW purely on looks it has to be the FRS.
Old 26 January 2007, 09:05 PM
Andy-pay
Scooby Regular

not sure they share 'near enough' the same parts TBH mate - STi different suspension components (not just shocks and springs), different suspension settings (quite different from 2005 onwards), 80% different engine, different gearbox, front ltd slip diff, electronic centre diff (adjustable from 2005), different tyres,water spray etc.

to drive, the difference is noticeable, not just in hp, but the whole experience - and STi is preferable, for me.
Old 26 January 2007, 09:15 PM
r5dou
Scooby Newbie

I've just gone from a frs to a new sti, Had the rs for 12 months really good car looks great, handles well just got sick of the shocking lack of traction in the damp, only had the sti a couple of weeks but stylin aside think it is the all round better car
Old 27 January 2007, 11:07 AM
steve0
Scooby Regular

9-10k, I think not, have a look on Autotrader or Pistonheads!!

Im currently in the process of selling mine, and its up for £14750, in immaculate condition with 23k on the clock.

They're overall a very good car, look awesome, handle well (for FWD) and are reasonably quick in standard form. Apparently respond very well to engine mods aswell, but I left mine standard.

Id say go test drive the Scoob and see what you think...