Help with buying a New Clutch ?

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2007, 05:50 PM
Froggman
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with buying a New Clutch ?

Hi,

I am looking to buy a new clutch kit for my 1998 (S) UK Turbo 2000 wagon and wondered if anyone had any suggestions to the best all round clutch kit out there? Price & performance!

My Impreza is a standard UK Turbo so I don't think there will be any need for an up rated clutch but again, I'm not really sure?

After looking about and reading various forums the Exedy clutch kit seems to get mentioned a lot but I've also spoken to my garage about it (non-Subaru) and they apparently have never heard of Exedy and recommended Valeo or LUX clutch kits?

My current standard clutch has judder when cold and the biting point is quite high, am I right in thinking as well as replacing the kit it's self I will need to get the flywheel skimmed?

Any suggestions would be greatly received

Cheers
Robin
Old 23 January 2007, 06:04 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Froggman
Hi,

I am looking to buy a new clutch kit for my 1998 (S) UK Turbo 2000 wagon and wondered if anyone had any suggestions to the best all round clutch kit out there? Price & performance!

My Impreza is a standard UK Turbo so I don't think there will be any need for an up rated clutch but again, I'm not really sure?

After looking about and reading various forums the Exedy clutch kit seems to get mentioned a lot but I've also spoken to my garage about it (non-Subaru) and they apparently have never heard of Exedy and recommended Valeo or LUX clutch kits?

My current standard clutch has judder when cold and the biting point is quite high, am I right in thinking as well as replacing the kit it's self I will need to get the flywheel skimmed?

Any suggestions would be greatly received

Cheers
Robin

As long as it is not slipping your clutch will be fine. Judder on cold days is common.
Old 23 January 2007, 06:05 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advice is to contact David at Welcome to the API website and discuss it with him.
He sells at a good price the 'good' exeedy clutch, can sell you one or fit it too.
If the flywheel does need a skim he can do that too, but they do not always need that.
Cold judder is quite normal, hot judder is bad news.

API are in south Leamington Spa so close to you.

Graham (tell him '911' sent you)
Old 23 January 2007, 06:08 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Exedy are very good. I've got one and I'm very happy, API are the place for these but if yours hasn't gone don't bother until yours starts slipping. I had 90k out of mine before it went and I drive the car hard.

If your planning to mod your car in the future then I'd go for the Exedy but if your planning minor mods or keeping engine near standard stick with OE one
Old 23 January 2007, 10:44 PM
Froggman
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by 911
My advice is to contact David at Welcome to the API website and discuss it with him.
He sells at a good price the 'good' exeedy clutch, can sell you one or fit it too.
If the flywheel does need a skim he can do that too, but they do not always need that.
Cold judder is quite normal, hot judder is bad news.

API are in south Leamington Spa so close to you.

Graham (tell him '911' sent you)
Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
Exedy are very good. I've got one and I'm very happy, API are the place for these but if yours hasn't gone don't bother until yours starts slipping. I had 90k out of mine before it went and I drive the car hard.

If your planning to mod your car in the future then I'd go for the Exedy but if your planning minor mods or keeping engine near standard stick with OE one
Thanks for your help guys,
I only bought the car 3 Months ago and it's always been serviced by Subaru dealer Chandlers with a cam belt change etc in July06 at it's 71K service! They guy I bought it from who was very genuine said the only thing that needs doing was the clutch which Subaru advised would need replacing at 85K ....which it's coming up to!

I think I will call this notorious David @ API and see if I actually need to change it yet! He seems to get a mention all over the place so must be worth talking to! 911, I'll drop your name in!

Cheers
Old 24 January 2007, 07:09 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beware, he can swear at the '911' word and will jack the price up by a zillion quids.. (I am a customer of his)