Sponsored by:

STI PPP - MY03 Onwards

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2007, 10:58 AM
Charlie_Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question STI PPP - MY03 Onwards

I have been looking at getting a STI MY03 onwards for a few weeks now and have noticed that there are a fair number that have had the PPP installed, is there any clear indication as to why this is the case.
Old 23 January 2007, 11:00 AM
simo
Scooby Regular

Because they are to slow without it
Old 23 January 2007, 11:20 AM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

PPP = high flow catalyst, different fuel pump, re-mapped ECU as the major components of the package.

These increase BHP by approx 30bhp taking the STi to the region of 295 / 300 bhp.

If you drove a PPP and a standard STi back to back you would also probably notice thet the PPP model had a more usable power band and less lag due to the way it is mapped.

If insurance is not an issue and not that a PPP sti will cost you that much more anyway then get a an STI with PPP.

Alternativey if the purchase price is different by approx £1,000+ it may well be worth speaking to some of the more reputable tuners, most of which get a mention and or advertise on scoobynet. (Powerstation, APi, Scoobyclinic, TSL etc etc). They will be able to advise what alternatives are available and what gains would be available in both BHP and Torque.

If you are going down the mod route, many are great advocates of upgrading suspension and or power as in the real world a scoob that has had sensible and well considered mod's to the way it handles will often be quicker in the twisties than one that has only had attention to BHP ;-)

Confused??? You have only just touched the tip of the iceberg.

Seriously worth asking about and if you are after a scoob have a look in the for sale section as often you will find well cared for and modded examples that have been owned by an enthusiast.

Regards

GB
Old 23 January 2007, 11:22 AM
Charlie_Boy
Scooby Regular

Forgot to also ask, I am not bothered about MPG, I know what to expect but what will i expect in terms of getting to a full tank with mixed driving, not much motorway driving to add.

On the initial point, are they really that bad. I have owed previously a MY00 Turbo but always wanted something a bit better.
Old 23 January 2007, 11:54 AM
Andy 02STI
Scooby Regular

Love my 02 STI, certainly not slow - running full exhaust with sports cat. i generally get 200 miles per tank of vey mixed driving - only use V power at 91.9ppl.

Oh I also used to own a 99 uk turbo and the two cars could not be more different!!
Old 23 January 2007, 12:58 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Charlie Boy, you're making the right choice I too went from a my99 uk turbo to an 03 sti with ppp, and there is a lightyears difference between the 2 cars. I wouldn't go back to a classic shape for love or money, the my03 is just so much more refined and grown up

As for miles per tank, on a good weeks general motoring, I'll get around 250+, on one of our runs out though, that'll go down to barely 200 if I'm lucky! But worth every penny
Old 23 January 2007, 02:48 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Smile

As other have said, too slow and too restricted.

If burglars and muggers were as restricted as Type UK Impreza's, the crime rate would dramatically drop, instantly.

Trending Topics

Old 23 January 2007, 04:41 PM
PPPRob
Scooby Regular

General driving without long runs, I will see 200 miles from 45 quid of V Power.

If I use the power I have seen 170 miles from 45 quid.

Nice long run to Devon with a bit of running around before I set off, was 250 miles for me and made it there without the light coming on.

HTH
Old 23 January 2007, 05:57 PM
Charlie_Boy
Scooby Regular

CW42 - I think your right, I was almost tempted to get a RB5 that I have seen, but i think i will wait. All i need to do now is find the right one.
Old 23 January 2007, 06:01 PM
paul2070
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PPPRob
General driving without long runs, I will see 200 miles from 45 quid of V Power.
Is that a full tank from empty £45 (similar to Classic)??

I'm another one that has just sold his 2000 model Classic and looking at getting a (modded) STI PPP
Old 23 January 2007, 07:24 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

This is worth a read Charlie Boy, my experience so far:
My new car

Never look back