Sponsored by:

FITTING NEW BATTERY

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2007, 09:33 PM
aRSekicker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FITTING NEW BATTERY

HI GUYS PLEASE COULD YOU TELL ME IF DISCONNECTING MY BATTERY 2 SIMPLY FIT A NEW 1 IS A STRAIGHT FORWARD EASY OPERATION ? AS I HAVE HEARD FEW PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM SAY IT RESETS THE ECU ? IS THAT CORRECT ?
Old 21 January 2007, 09:41 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing wrong in resetting the ECU anyway. I think it has to be off for a while. Just disconnecting the battery then swapping it for a new one is no big thing. If you think about it, most jobs that a garage would do involve disconnecting the battery before working.

Basically, disconnect your ground/negative lead first. Move it well away so it can't ping back and reconnect. Once you've done this you can safely touch the red/positive lead and disconnect that. Undo the two nuts that hold the battery clamp on and wiggle the rods to release them from the tray under the battery. Lift battery, replace with new battery, hook rods under battery tray and tighten battery clamp down again. Connect red positive lead first and tighten up with a spanner. Now reconnect the black negative lead, holding the insulation rather than the metal terminal. The black lead may spark a little when you put it back on, but once it's firmly on the terminal, it'll be no danger to get a spanner on it and tighten it up. Just don't ever touch the positive terminal while you're leaning over the engine bay - you may well be 'grounding' yourself against the car body! If in doubt, get Halfords to fit. Their batteries are pretty good.
Old 21 January 2007, 09:45 PM
aRSekicker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANKS 4 REPLY JUST DIDNT WANT 2 DIVE IN AND DISTURB ECU AS WASNT SURE IF BUGGER UP SETTINGS AND RUNNING OF MY CAR ! THANKS AGAIN