Sponsored by:

So what do we think ... RB320?

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2007, 10:09 AM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what do we think ... RB320?

Ok had a WR1 ... was absolutely awesome. Everything about it I loved ... was sensational on track and was one of the best looking scoobs released to date IMO.

Sold it last year and after seeing the RB320 pics am now thinking about getting involved again ... especially as I've been offered one.

What do people think???

I don't want posts saying buy a spec c because, firstly, I have seen them in action/driven them and think they are ****e, secondly I want a full warranty from a UK subaru dealer/prodrive and I don't want an imported/converted motor.

Just interested to hear people's opinions about the look, extras, benefits/drawbacks of owning the last special edition before the hatchback etc etc etc. And for those that have driven one what they thought about the drive compared to a WR1 or similar specified UK edition STi.

Many thanks
Old 15 January 2007, 10:12 AM
Cipher
Scooby Regular

Great looking car but whichever way you look at it and even though it's a limited edition you're going to lose a lot of cash on it short or long term with the new model coming out.

If that's not an issue go ahead, I'd certainly like to own one but couldn't justify it.
Old 15 January 2007, 10:13 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Get one, they are top of the pops and with only 320 being made the residuals should be good

Great looking Scoob too
Old 15 January 2007, 10:14 AM
Cipher
Scooby Regular

I don't see their limited edition status propping up their residual value for long unfortunatley. They just don't offer enough that's different for that to be the case.
Old 15 January 2007, 10:16 AM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cipher
Great looking car but whichever way you look at it and even though it's a limited edition you're going to lose a lot of cash on it short or long term with the new model coming out.

If that's not an issue go ahead, I'd certainly like to own one but couldn't justify it.

WR1 wasn't too bad on the depreciation front. Bought for 30k (obviousely) and sold 2 years later with lots & lots of miles and track action for 24k. The RB5 has held it's head above the water quite well so I don't think it would be an unfair assumption to make if I thought the RB320 would hold it's value a little better than the WR1.

Cheers for your input.
Old 15 January 2007, 10:21 AM
Cipher
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gangsta Smurf
WR1 wasn't too bad on the depreciation front. Bought for 30k (obviousely) and sold 2 years later with lots & lots of miles and track action for 24k. The RB5 has held it's head above the water quite well so I don't think it would be an unfair assumption to make if I thought the RB320 would hold it's value a little better than the WR1.

Cheers for your input.
You did well with the WR1 there, I was looking at the prices of them now and thinking how peeved I'd be getting in the region of 18K for one now. I guess if you buy the RB320 you could enjoy it and sell at the right time like you did with the WR1.
I always try and buy cars that have had that initial depreciation hit taken by someone else and sell them on for what I paid for them after I've enoyed them. Of course that means I always have a 'used' motor rather than something box fresh.
Old 15 January 2007, 10:30 AM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cipher
You did well with the WR1 there, I was looking at the prices of them now and thinking how peeved I'd be getting in the region of 18K for one now. I guess if you buy the RB320 you could enjoy it and sell at the right time like you did with the WR1.
I always try and buy cars that have had that initial depreciation hit taken by someone else and sell them on for what I paid for them after I've enoyed them. Of course that means I always have a 'used' motor rather than something box fresh.
Yeh I see where you are coming from. I tend to sell my cars when I get bored of them ... which is every year or so, the money side of it doesn't really influence my selling routine. After having horrors buying second hand cars I will only buy new now ... can't be dealing with clutches and gearboxes going after a few months of use etc etc etc etc. I also do not modify anymore ... if I want a faster car I will go and buy one. Although 320bhp is more than enough power to satisfy my road/track requirements for any car.
Old 15 January 2007, 10:54 AM
PCM
Scooby Regular

rb320 **** compared to spec c

Had a wr1 and again **** compared to the spec c.
Old 15 January 2007, 11:02 AM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PCM
rb320 **** compared to spec c

Had a wr1 and again **** compared to the spec c.

Nice ... as mentioned don't really want to hear Spec C this and Spec C that. Hence putting it in my original post.

Thanks!
Old 15 January 2007, 11:09 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

It's one of those cars that looks good in pictures but feckin sexy in the flesh.... have you seen it in the 'skin' yet ?
Old 15 January 2007, 11:09 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

£30k for an fully spec'd STI isn't bad (think it was mentioned a STI of the same spec is £36k)

And although you might lose money i wouldn't expect it to lose as much as a normal STI, and i presume it would be a lot easier to sell than a normal STI
Old 15 January 2007, 11:10 AM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Had a drive (all be it very briefly) on Friday at the Prodrive testing track.

1) Car is very fast.
2) Suspension is an extremely good set up.
3) Looks are reasonable.
4) Standard interior (i.e blue STi) is hideous. You would need to spec it with the leather interior, although thats another (IIRC) £1300.
5) Being very picky, the 'plaque' to prove which car it is, is limited to the tax disc holder. I would have expected something a bit more exclusive (i.e a badge like in the Terzo, RB5 etc).
Old 15 January 2007, 11:12 AM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never driven a RB320, but if I was looking for a new Impreza this would be the one because of the extras and the way it looks! Every car will lose money but I imagine the RB320 will lose slightly less as was the case with your WR1. Just remember you will probably want to get the RB seats (optional extra) as it comes standard with the blue STI ones. Go for it mate.
Old 15 January 2007, 11:17 AM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by COLZO
Never driven a RB320, but if I was looking for a new Impreza this would be the one because of the extras and the way it looks! Every car will lose money but I imagine the RB320 will lose slightly less as was the case with your WR1. Just remember you will probably want to get the RB seats (optional extra) as it comes standard with the blue STI ones. Go for it mate.

Yeh would spec it with the full seat package. Don't give a **** about plaques or silly numbers ... means nothing to me. The logbook says RB320 and I presume Burn's charity will get something from the sales of the cars so that's all that is important really.

I've got an 06 black scoob atm so all i'm missing are some spoilers and loads of cool toys. Hence not really bothering to make the trek up to the Autosport especially to see it.

Interesting that they don't spec it with decent seats to start with ... suppose those wheels and the splitter had to be costed by removing something weighty like the interior colour pack.
Old 15 January 2007, 11:25 AM
EmEm
Scooby Regular

Seeing as I'm new to the whole Scooby thang... and not really knowing the difference from model to model, not sure if what I think would matter.... HOWEVER.... after looking into this car, and reading a bit about it, personally........... I think you'd be mad if you didnt at least seriously consider it !! It is one stunning looking motor to say the least, and if I had the cash, I would think about "upgrading" my classic .......ummm....... actually, I'd keep my classic and get the RB320 as well !!!
Old 15 January 2007, 11:27 AM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

You are saving a load of money with the extras, seats would have pushed the price over the £30k mark standard, which for marketing would put customers off. But what the heck spending another £1.5 -£2k ain`t going to hurt. My STI is 15 months old so don`t want to change but sent for the RB320 brochure anyway!
Old 15 January 2007, 11:44 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

RB 320 No.002 was still at CVC Subaru Cardiff last week Hmmmmm Nice Now on a private plate to.
Old 15 January 2007, 11:49 AM
rallying1
Scooby Regular

Not really impressed, had a good lokk at it at the Autosport show, just looks like an Sti with RB stickers here and there, not what I would call a tribute to a World Champion IMHO

Old 15 January 2007, 11:51 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

The logbook says RB320 and I presume Burn's charity will get something from the sales of the cars so that's all that is important really.
The first one was given away in aid of the Charity and Subaru Insured are making a donation if you insure through them [It will be insured at WRX rates through them]. Other than that no further money is going to the fund IIRC

The car as Ed said is good to drive and is balanced well and the 2.5 PPP is nice and torquee

The blue interior is a problem imho but thats the only downside I could really find.

I understand from your favourite dealer there are still over 100 available as at Friday He was hopping to take some orders Sat and Sun
Old 15 January 2007, 11:54 AM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Apparently there are about 80-100 left unsold (i.e 1/4). Seems like they're not flying off the shelf like previous limited editions, like the original first 500 P1's.

As already mentioned, it's not a bad price for a well spec'd STi.
Old 15 January 2007, 11:55 AM
Multijfj
Scooby Regular

End of the day its nothing special, its not worth the money your going to part with, as ur just not going to get it back.

The interior is horrid! The only thing that appeals to me is the fact theres only 320, but its just a black sti with some mesh and stickers really.

Go for that lightweight japanese STI, cant remember the name, spec something, but cant say it in this thread :P
Old 15 January 2007, 12:07 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Originally Posted by Multijfj
The only thing that appeals to me is the fact theres only 320, but its just a black sti with some mesh and stickers really.

The Suspension set up is not available to the Sti

The Wheels are original

Its personal choice of course
Old 15 January 2007, 12:08 PM
Geds
Scooby Regular

I love the RB320 - and if I had £30K to spare in assets or cash - my name would be in the order book. I may be biased becasue I love Impreza's in black.

However back in the real world (for me anyway) its a lot of doe, and the 1st yrs depr' on any new car has to hurt. - Only to be spent if money is no object IMHO.

"New Cars" are not for me.

Old 15 January 2007, 12:13 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

My 320 uk car cost me 6k altogether

Not a believer in new shape Imprezas, but looking at the above pics, the RB version looks even worse
Old 15 January 2007, 12:17 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Ok had a WR1 ... was absolutely awesome. Everything about it I loved ... was sensational on track and was one of the best looking scoobs released to date IMO.

Sold it last year and after seeing the RB320 pics am now thinking about getting involved again ... especially as I've been offered one.

What do people think???

I don't want posts saying buy a spec c because, firstly, I have seen them in action/driven them and think they are ****e, secondly I want a full warranty from a UK subaru dealer/prodrive and I don't want an imported/converted motor.

Just interested to hear people's opinions about the look, extras, benefits/drawbacks of owning the last special edition before the hatchback etc etc etc. And for those that have driven one what they thought about the drive compared to a WR1 or similar specified UK edition STi.

Many thanks
They aren't in that gay light blue colour are they
Old 15 January 2007, 12:18 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Cheers for your input.

You forgot to add how much you paid out on modding it too
Old 15 January 2007, 12:18 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geds
I love the RB320 - and if I had £30K to spare in assets or cash - my name would be in the order book. I may be biased becasue I love Impreza's in black.

However back in the real world (for me anyway) its a lot of doe, and the 1st yrs depr' on any new car has to hurt. - Only to be spent if money is no object IMHO.

"New Cars" are not for me.

I do see why people are discouraged from new cars because of the depreciation ... however I am not one of them. If I do buy a RB320 it will be tracked, raced and generally driven to it's limits. Because I'm buying it for me and not the second, third or even fourth owner.
Old 15 January 2007, 12:19 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
You forgot to add how much you paid out on modding it too
lol ... ok so I lied a bit
Old 15 January 2007, 12:23 PM
Geds
Scooby Regular

Wink Just get it.

Sounds like you don't need to think about it - I'll relieve you of your "old" '06 in black.
Old 15 January 2007, 12:24 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I wont be able to give you a hard time because it's not that gay colour again

Quick Reply: So what do we think ... RB320?