Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MOB PHONE USER GETS AWAY WITH WRECKING MY STI!!

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2007, 09:21 PM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOB PHONE USER GETS AWAY WITH WRECKING MY STI!!

Back in July some **** smashed his poxy Kia motor into my 53 STI PPP. He was coming down a steep twisty lane too fast and on his mobile phone which I clearly saw before he hit me. He hit me so hard it shunted my car back through a fence. All airbags went off and it slightly creased roof. Luckily I just opened door and got out perfectly OK whereas other driver had to be cut out of his bag of ****e. Within 2 minutes a car pulls up behind me and 3 occupants come running up to scene. One describes himself as an off duty policeman and he goes to check other driver. Another one says they had come looking for driver of Kia as he was late for meeting at Golf Course (which is about half a mile down road) Obviously shocked and shaken I thought nothing of this at time. Later when telling this tale to my family my mother said he could well have been on phone to one of these Golf Course friends and that was why they came looking for gim. My suspicions were further aroused when a neighbour (himself a member of the Golf Club) said that Kia driver was Treasurer of Club and had been late for monthly 7.30pm meeting. Crash happened at 7.32 so why would three grown men come looking for someone who was two minutes late??!! He was def on phone to one of them (maybe saying he would be there shortly) when crash happened and I presume they heard the bang over phone. I told all this to Traffic Cop who said there was lots that could be done these days via mobile phone records and it would prob take 4 weeks to check. Great i thought. Then back in December I get letter of Police saying that based on evidence no further action to be taken against either driver. My solicitor requests copies of statements and evidence and phone records had not even been checked at all. Guy said that he was co director and all his vehicles are fitted with hands free kits. He claimed not to have been on phone however he said he had given phone to a witness after crash to use to phone emerg services. Said he had taken it out of his pocket to give to her which was impossible as guy could not move at all due to state of car hence why he was cut out. It was his cop mate who phoned emerg services anyway. His statement seemed to be a well rehearsed piece of fiction and my solictor agreed it did appear too well written to be true. My blood is boiling that this guy simply gets away with it. I am sure that having cop mates and mixing in Golf Club circles must have helped him as its so clear he was at fault yet appears cops have made no attempt to nail him.
Old 13 January 2007, 09:38 PM
TLRDAVE1000
Scooby Regular

Thats some bad crap to hear mate, surely they can check with the network provider if the phone was in use or not, I would push this one all the way if i was you. I hate it when i see people on the phone whilst driving.
Old 13 January 2007, 10:12 PM
kevp
Scooby Regular

I would join his golf club, then when out on the green - Show him what you can do with a 5 Iron

Hope you can get this one sorted

Kev
Old 13 January 2007, 10:14 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Yep, certainly sounds like people lick his hoop due to his position at the golf club.

Best get some clubs then and start licking.
Old 13 January 2007, 10:53 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about this

But what has a golf club got to do with any of it?
Old 13 January 2007, 11:31 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

as long as it's his insurance that is paying for the damage, then walk away and consider yourself lucky.

If you were him and you had a mate in Hawaii 5-0 would you not try to utilise it if you had the chance.

I agree that he is **** and deserves to be birched, but at the end of the day we all have made mistake for which we should have roasted but got away with.

I would be totally p**sed as well but at the end of the day remember, what goes around comes around.
Old 13 January 2007, 11:39 PM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

Seriously mate.

I would give it a few months than get my own justice.

Simple as that.................
Old 13 January 2007, 11:46 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest, do you know what the time was when he hit you? Right down to the minute? to the second?
Old 14 January 2007, 01:37 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

What golf course is he treasurer of ?
Old 14 January 2007, 09:39 AM
Sean 2000
Scooby Regular

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by *Nate*
What golf course is he treasurer of ?
Not a f*ckin very good one if he drives a Kia.....wot a ***!
Im sorry but would definately feel the need to smash him up a bit.
I hate people like him, if you are being a tw*t and get cought you gotta hold ya hands up. Thats why this country is now the way it is.....cos of ***** like that, Saddam him off.
Old 14 January 2007, 09:42 AM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Golf club treasurer driving a Kia when most GC member have Audis and Jags? If I was cynical I'd think he'd previously been done for drink driving and now a Kia is the only car he could get insurance for.
Old 14 January 2007, 10:00 AM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

Get a copy of his mobile phone records from his service provider under the Freedom of Information Act. (You need a valid reason for requesting this which you have).
This should prove either way if he was or wasn't on the phone at the time of the collision.
Then take your findings (If it proves he was using the phone) to the OIC dealing with the incident.
If you still get nowhere I would write a letter of complaint to the Police. At this point it has to be investigated.
Old 14 January 2007, 10:35 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

You may well be able to prove he was on the phone, but how would you prove that he wasn't using hands-free??

And as for 'smashing him up', grow up for f&ck sake!
To the original poster, it must feel pretty bad if you know he was on the phone at the time of impact, just thank your lucky stars that you're here to talk about it!

Last edited by Gear Head; 14 January 2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old 14 January 2007, 11:08 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mal K
Get a copy of his mobile phone records from his service provider under the Freedom of Information Act.
AFAIK you can only request details about yourself, not other people, and only from public organisations (police, NHS) and not private companies.

Last edited by BuRR; 14 January 2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old 14 January 2007, 12:12 PM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

Just one thing,

If he was on the phone at the time WILL THIS VOID HIS INSURANCE if it does i would say no more about it.
Old 14 January 2007, 12:32 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by st3v3
Just one thing,

If he was on the phone at the time WILL THIS VOID HIS INSURANCE if it does i would say no more about it.
Quite.

My advice would be to screw him through the insurance mate. Press them for the best offer possible and don't accept anything less than an offer that overs the value of the car completely (use trade ads for similar cars to back up your claim).

Ns04
Old 14 January 2007, 01:42 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

most golf clubs are worse than the masons for sticking together, didn't realise how bad it was until i joined one! if you're one of the 'faces' at the club there's all sorts you can get up to (or get out of in this case)

personally i wouldn't go stirring up anything that might affect your claim, chalk it off as one of the worlds ********* and screw him for all you can

by the way, did he shout 'FORE' before he hit you? (sorry, couldn't resist it)
Old 14 January 2007, 01:52 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
by the way, did he shout 'FORE' before he hit you? (sorry, couldn't resist it)
You cruel begger
Old 14 January 2007, 02:00 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Just one thing,

No it won't. In any case, you would alays have a claim against him based on the 1988 RTA.

As above, take him to the cleaners financially.
Old 14 January 2007, 07:29 PM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

I have actually been paid out as I was fully comp (got £14770 which I thought was pretty good!) However do not see why my insurance NCB should be hit, which it has at mo till this is sorted which my ins co reckons will be 50/50. And my £350 excess. Also after trawling net I found that if he had killed me, which could easily have happened if I had been in a lesser car, he would almost certainly have been jailed. Morons like him think they are above the law and it seems in fact that they are. Freemasons, Golf Club hierarchy etc seem to have all the right contacts and this guy in my opinion should have been banned at least. He could have wiped me out all because he was hurrying to his precious Golf Club meeting. In fact if I ever become Prime Minister I will ban Golf Clubs and all Kia cars! Rant over!
Old 14 January 2007, 08:03 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

it's gone to a 50/50?? not knowing the road it happened on, but that sucks!

protected or not, it's you that'll take the hit on that decision.

would not be happy with that mate

only saving grace is the payout, you wouldn't have got near that in a private sale
Old 14 January 2007, 08:50 PM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

Ins co reckons it a classic 50/50 but my solicitors have now issued court proceedings against him so hopefully I will not lose my NCB and i am gonna nail him for compensation. Its not a financial punishment he needs though its a lengthy ban!
Old 14 January 2007, 08:51 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Spot on Paul!
These sort of things can start to effect your health if you're not careful.
My advice would be to go and get yourself another scooby and move on. Oh, and possibly tell all to the local paper!
Old 14 January 2007, 11:17 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anthscooby01
Ins co reckons it a classic 50/50 but my solicitors have now issued court proceedings against him so hopefully I will not lose my NCB and i am gonna nail him for compensation. Its not a financial punishment he needs though its a lengthy ban!
Totally agree with you mate. All the best for the outcome.
Old 14 January 2007, 11:42 PM
Ennoch
Scooby Regular

Just one thing,

It will void his own claim but it will still pay out for you. it's like if your car is modified but not insured as such. The pay-out for your car is void but they still cover the 3rd party.
Old 15 January 2007, 11:10 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Go to the club in the middle of the night and use a watering can full of weed killer to draw a 40 foot long **** on the 18th green
Old 15 January 2007, 11:56 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

".....It's a 40-foot **** and ***** !....."

/Brian Potter
Old 15 January 2007, 07:23 PM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the support lads. Scoobynet seems to be getting better and losing some of its tosser members. If i posted this few months ago bet there would have been more than a couple of people havin a go at ME! Pleasant change to see some camaraderie. Like Scoobynet used to be (well nearly)