Sponsored by:

police officer rant

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2007, 02:01 AM
rcwhite
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default police officer rant

just been pulled over by police man about 30 mins ago and i cant belive how much they guy has pissed me off the law might be the law but hey he still pissed me off story goes sitting at two way traffic light in tamworth tempory lights the ones just down the road from drayton manor if eny one from tamwoth is on her

pulled up lights on red . traffic the other side 1 min still red 2 mins still red 3 mins still red starting to think what the fxxk is going on best part off 4 mins i am sitting there the car the other side comes through and its a police car no blue light just comes through . ha i think lights must be bust both sides are on red. Now there is also a bit of traffic behind me i now deside to go through and the car behind does as well .

had i quick look over both traffic lights on red so i was right the car behind is only another police car he flashes his blues and i pull over

conversation

me/ yes officer

pc/ do u know u just went through a red light

yes officer the lights are broken and when the police man coming the

other way came through i thought it was really the only thing i could do

pc / (not listening to a word i just said ) yes but we are allowed to we are looking for some one

me? very confussed . think i mummbled what

officer/ do u know i could give u 3 point and a fine

me/ i think the lights are broken officer what SHOULD i do

officer / (does not answer my question) have u had a drink

me ? no officer i am just taking my girl friend home

officer/ well okok just think next time i know its hard when u are sitting there and its late at night but u must go when its green. like i said i could give u 3 points and a fine

the conversation was very confusing and pissed me off sorry about bad spelling or grammer but its late
Old 13 January 2007, 02:04 AM
PCM
Scooby Regular

Old 13 January 2007, 02:07 AM
rcwhite
Scooby Regular

yes thats right
Old 13 January 2007, 03:38 AM
DJ Vinyl Ritchie
BANNED

Originally Posted by rcwhite
just been pulled over by police man about 30 mins ago and i cant belive how much they guy has pissed me off the law might be the law but hey he still pissed me off

Why are you pi55ed off? From your convo - which is very sketchy, I think the copper acted in a very fair and just manner.

yes officer the lights are broken

me/ i think the lights are broken officer what SHOULD i do

So, in reality you wasn't really sure if the lights were broken or not - from your indecisive comments above. He just had a chat and sent you on your way, with NO fine and NO points.

DJ Vinyl Ritchie............stop your blubbering, stuttering and muttering and GET OVER IT, ya big wuss
Old 13 January 2007, 07:40 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think many have had this situation over the years. Some lights are very unreliable/subject to vandalism.

I have done the same as you several times. I think it common sense and practical what you did.

Good point though above: be very sure about your reasoning; be politely assertive. Not easy when the police have the ultimate power and MUST be the lead in the conversation to keep the law advantage, prob why he ignored your questions!

One of those things in the UK of today.

Graham
Old 13 January 2007, 07:44 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Regardless of whether the lights are faulty or not, you still have no authority to go through them.
Old 13 January 2007, 08:01 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

with temp. lights i believe they hold no official obligation...................just as temp road works speed limit signs, UNLESS they conform to very strict highway leagalities
Old 13 January 2007, 08:10 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I have to agree with Alyn. IIRC, those sorts of lights are advisory. If you choose to ignore them and have an accident, then you're in deep do-do. Otherwise, not.

Alcazar
Old 13 January 2007, 08:13 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

to be fair, it sounds like the police officer was doing his job.

no one likes being pulled over, but at the end of the day thats what their job entails.
Old 13 January 2007, 08:48 AM
haroldhettaturbo
Scooby Regular

Little tip an ex copper m8 of mine told me.

If the traffic lights are tempory then who ever installed them has to apply for something to make them legal.

The majority dont and therfore have no legal standing.

This is only tempory lights such as road works.
Old 13 January 2007, 09:05 AM
DJ Vinyl Ritchie
BANNED

Originally Posted by haroldhettaturbo

If the traffic lights are tempory then who ever installed them has to apply for something to make them legal.
So we can conclude from your above statement that temporary traffic lights are illegal? As that's what it sounds like. Let's not be silly now!

Something is either legal or not - There is no in between.

DJ Vinyl Ritchie........... I think your talking through your ring pal
Old 13 January 2007, 09:54 AM
rcwhite
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Vinyl Ritchie
Why are you pi55ed off? From your convo - which is very sketchy, I think the copper acted in a very fair and just manner.

So, in reality you wasn't really sure if the lights were broken or not - from your indecisive comments above. He just had a chat and sent you on your way, with NO fine and NO points.

DJ Vinyl Ritchie............stop your blubbering, stuttering and muttering and GET OVER IT, ya big wuss
well next time your stuck in that situation mate give us a call in the morning when u are still siting at the red light because that sound like what u would do and i will bring u a bacon sandwich and a cupa

at the end of the day i no u should not go through on red but i am sure the police man had a look at the lights as well and could see they were broken so just no point in pulling me over and swelling my brain up its more funny this morning than any think
Old 13 January 2007, 10:00 AM
haroldhettaturbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Vinyl Ritchie
So we can conclude from your above statement that temporary traffic lights are illegal? As that's what it sounds like. Let's not be silly now!

Something is either legal or not - There is no in between.

DJ Vinyl Ritchie........... I think your talking through your ring pal

No i didnt say all tempory lights are illegal.

My mate whos an ex copper got pulled for going through tempory traffic lights. He took it to court and his deffence was that they had not applied for the legal permission to be put there and so that made them illegal.

There for there is no law to be broken and please dont insult me theres no need.
Old 13 January 2007, 10:16 AM
rcwhite
Scooby Regular

must say just too put things straight the police man was not being a ****** towards me really he spoke nice to me . but he just said what HE wanted to say
Old 13 January 2007, 10:22 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Assume they were broken, what then, wait there until someone fixes them.
Or take a possible 3 mile detour to avoid a 400 yard dash when the road is clear from approaching traffic.
I know what i would do, authority to do so or not.
Nik.

Originally Posted by cookstar
Regardless of whether the lights are faulty or not, you still have no authority to go through them.
Old 13 January 2007, 10:35 AM
DJ Vinyl Ritchie
BANNED

Originally Posted by haroldhettaturbo
No i didnt say all tempory lights are illegal.
If what your saying is true, then one should always assume that they ARE legal. Common sense prevails, i.e red light showing, fookin' stop!

Now if Mr white had used his brain cell to better use, he would realise that going through a red light with a cop car watching him, is a NO NO!
Now he's retracted his initial insults - probably due to this argument being one sided and making himself look somewhat of a ****.

DJ Vinyl Ritchie...... QED old chap?
Old 13 January 2007, 10:39 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He couldn't have given you 3 points and a fine - Temp Lights do NOT carry the same authority as fixed lights ........ I would have told him to give the points and fine for going through a red light (he would look very stupid, as he cannot do that!).

He could do you for without due care and attention, however.

But, it seems a normal Police/Public exchange - he was looking for you being drunk at 1:30am!! .... I wouldn't worry about it - get on with life
Old 13 January 2007, 11:33 AM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
He couldn't have given you 3 points and a fine - Temp Lights do NOT carry the same authority as fixed lights ........ I would have told him to give the points and fine for going through a red light (he would look very stupid, as he cannot do that!).

He could do you for without due care and attention, however.

But, it seems a normal Police/Public exchange - he was looking for you being drunk at 1:30am!! .... I wouldn't worry about it - get on with life
I would have let him have his say then ask him to explain the reasons why he could have given 3 points,then i would have asked what could have i have done different to comply to the law

By the way pslewis,nice answer from you,which make a nice change
Old 13 January 2007, 11:35 AM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
He couldn't have given you 3 points and a fine - Temp Lights do NOT carry the same authority as fixed lights
Wrong you need to read up some more pissy
Old 13 January 2007, 11:38 AM
kittle
Scooby Regular

unless they have been set up correctly and to the book...which i can assuse you 99% of never are they aren't worth sh*te. and if they aint maintained always break.... just make sure you know they broken before you jump them.
Old 13 January 2007, 11:39 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

I would have done the same as you mate. Just a shame the policeman didn't give you an explanation about what your should have done in that situation. Still good that you didn't get any points though.
I got pulled a while back. Guy was sound.
Old 13 January 2007, 11:46 AM
Paddi70
Scooby Regular

Agree with Flaps. Main think, no points or fine, or any damage done. yeah the Feds can be a pain. but it could have been worse.
Don't dwel on it. That just makes you feel worse.
Old 13 January 2007, 11:46 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Not sure whether it was the Police Officer or the motorist that was having the rant !

Think after waiting a lengthy period of time, I'd go through too ! Don't really blame the copper for having a chat with you though.
Old 13 January 2007, 11:48 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Ooh er, this is a busy wee thread !
Old 13 January 2007, 12:02 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Ok, next time check who's behind you before setting off.
If you're going to run a red light don't do it in front of a copper.
Copper would have been daft not to have stopped you.
Old 13 January 2007, 12:57 PM
Untitled
Scooby Regular

You know where there are temporary road works or last minute jobs where they don't even have lights but someone stands there with a stop and go sign. Legally if they turn the sign to stop and you are driving you do not have to Stop, although if you do stop you cant then move until they turn to GO.
Old 13 January 2007, 04:32 PM
speedystu
Scooby Regular

I shouldnt have been worryed, you might have been given a new house and a tv dvd and even a vcr if you got charged for it"""" well thats what they give dirty "imagrunts" and they dont have tax insurance or a licence. oh and kill people whilst beeing twice the drink drive limit, not that i am moaning about the lazy arsed old bill whom seem to sit in motorway services filling thier fat faces with b.k for two hours.................rant over........................
Old 13 January 2007, 05:33 PM
rcwhite
Scooby Regular

thats it mate get it of your chest
Old 13 January 2007, 08:49 PM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

I got done few years ago now for going through on amber and unmarked car said it was red. Light changed to amber when I was roughly two car lengths off it and its obviously impossible to stop. I got pulled off marked car a mile down road and unmarked car driver introduced himself as a chief inspector then spoke to me like a complete *****. He then left it to uniformed cops to deal with me. I explained to them no way I went through on red (drive for a living and NEVER had points or took risks). Cops attitude was it would be easier for me to accept ticket as I stood no chance in court against such a high ranking officer. Being young and not as wise as I am these days I just accepted it and the resulting insurance increases. Ridiculous!!
Old 13 January 2007, 11:01 PM
Smifster
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day, you got let off for jumping a red light. Whether you were in the right or wrong, you got let off. Put that down to experience and forget about it. There are many different views on this subject - nothing happened to you, so just forget it mate!

Quick Reply: police officer rant