Impreza vs hot hatch

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2007, 12:50 PM
philis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza vs hot hatch

Hi
Ive recently upgraded my transportation from a clio 172 to a 02 sti ppp and i cant help but notice that in some situations the scooby is not much quicker if at all . I keep thinking to myself how can this be? It feels SO much faster But time and time again i try to beat previous benchmarks set in my clio and i find places where i was pulling 110 - 120 im only surpassing them by 5 - 10 mph if im lucky. Thinking about it though a good clio or any good fwd hothatch will do standing 1/4 in 15's ish, where a 300hp sti will do 13.5 and yet the clio is a good 2 seconds slower to 60, so somewhere along the line is it actually quicker. Im a being stupid?
Old 12 January 2007, 12:53 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Please dont start this debate again .......... Use the search option and find the previous 300 posts on the same topic

ps ...welcome to Scoobynet
Old 12 January 2007, 12:55 PM
philis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Please dont start this debate again .......... Use the search option and find the previous 300 posts on the same topic

ok will do... sorry
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

take one on in the twisties and the nreport back again
EmEm
Scooby Regular

Personally, I think its an unfair comparison? A 2dr hatch back V's a 4dr Saloon car . FWD V's AWD. I can see your point about different speeds and handling in certain areas, but I would expect a compact hatchback to be quicker around a tight bend than a long saloon car - anyone else agree?

Just sit back, relax and enjoy the fun of a Scooby
Old 12 January 2007, 12:56 PM
EmEm
Scooby Regular

Totally agree!!!
Old 12 January 2007, 01:01 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

No-o-o--o !

Old 12 January 2007, 01:04 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Ok deep breath.

Scoobs are so bloody quick at launch due to being able to withstand a ferocious launch tecnique i.e. 4000-5000 rpm dump the clutch which is right in the meat of its torque curve and being put through its AWD system which will catapult you of the line....but once rolling the Scoob suffers from transmission loss which the clio wont.

I know it does not sound much but a couple of seconds is a massive difference on the road.

My modded classic should on paper at least be only a second down on 0-100 than an RS6 but having come up against one of these, i didn't see which way he went.

Its not all straight forward really.

For instance

Andy forrests Monster will do the 1/4 in just over nine seconds a for instance an STI ppp should do it in around 13.5 which is only 4.5 seconds slower than Andys car which is stripped out weighing in at around 1000kgs and with drag tyres pushing 8-900 bhp yet on paper does not seem much - at santa pod the difference would amaze you.

Last edited by The Chief; 12 January 2007 at 01:05 PM. Reason: added text
Old 12 January 2007, 01:04 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Leave him alone he weren't to know
Old 12 January 2007, 01:13 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

I am about to swap my 279/285 94 wrx for a clio 172. I am hoping not to be too disappointed in the performance drop. The first post gives me confidence

Steve
Old 12 January 2007, 01:14 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Fantom
I am about to swap my 279/285 94 wrx for a clio 172. I am hoping not to be too disappointed in the performance drop. The first post gives me confidence

Steve

o dear,,,,,
Old 12 January 2007, 01:16 PM
philis
Scooby Regular

sorry for the ill thought out topic, tbh im not too fussed with comparing the two, just thought it was an interesting comparison. I will learn to drive it to its full potential before making anymore comments
Old 12 January 2007, 01:19 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by philis
sorry for the ill thought out topic, tbh im not too fussed with comparing the two, just thought it was an interesting comparison. I will learn to drive it to its full potential before making anymore comments

take no notice of this lot on here

welcome to scoobynet by the way
Old 12 January 2007, 01:22 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

if this is a new car to you you probably havent realised what it is capabale of yet.

ive had mine 3 years now, and im still learning.

just be careful
Old 12 January 2007, 01:24 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

But time and time again i try to beat previous benchmarks set in my clio and i find places where i was pulling 110 - 120 im only surpassing them by 5 - 10 mph if im lucky.
That is a massive difference!!! A vehicle trapping the quarter mile at 100mph is quite considerably faster than one trapping at 90mph for example. It's a sad reality that to be very markedly quicker than another vehicle you need to have a 100bhp/ton difference IMHO. My 300+bhp STI V could probably only crawl past my old S2000. To demolish it I'd need around another 75bhp.
Old 12 January 2007, 01:45 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Well I was considering a switch to a hot hatch...... until I test drove a UK Teg DC2 Type R an hour ago.
I was expecting it to be on par with my UK MY99 Turbo (280bhp), well, once rolling atleast.
To say I was dissappointed would be an understatment!
The VTEC zone seem to take forever to reach, and there wasn't much of a difference in speed once I hit it, just an increase in noise (which was rather nice!). And yes, I did wait a good 10 mins for it to warm up, plus I had it running at the garage whilst I checked the engine bay.
When I checked the service history, I couldn't find any proof that it had been serviced in the last 20,000miles, which may explain why it felt so poor.

But I can't see it being 'that' much faster when it is eventually serviced.
Got back in the scoobadoobaroo and wondered why I ever thought of changing. It just has so much torque compared to the teg and, in my opinion, actually makes a better noise.

Certainly, other hot hatch-backs may be quicker, but there is just something about the Impreza that no other car seems to have, be it classic shape or newage. It has that 'get up and go' that I find so addictive. In the teg, I would have to change down to over-take safely, but in the scoob you just squeeze the loud pedal a bit more.
As regard the handling, yes, the teg did feel sharp but not as 'sure-footed' as the impreza. Anyone who says that the impreza doesn't handle well either can't drive, or needs to sort their geometry/tyres out!

So, in summary, the impreza turbo (when driven properly) would absolutely cane any hot hatch.
Mine will be staying with me for a long time to come!
Old 12 January 2007, 01:50 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

well maybe you should wait for the new WRX which will be a hatchback and perhaps you will get the best of both worlds compact (lighter?) aerodynamic car but with 4 wheel drive
Old 12 January 2007, 02:07 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

The mid-range of the scooby is addictive and I love the turbo push but make no bones about it one the roll my 300bhp STI V is only fractionally quicker than my old S2000. From 100mph up the S2000 might actually be quicker! The lack of response from the turbo is driving me nuts and as nice is the scooby sound is its not even in the same league as a free-breathing F20c.

Bottom line is vtec is a compromise, turbo'ing is a compromise. If you want it all you need a well engineered big cc engine
Old 12 January 2007, 02:10 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Oh and make of this what you will:

Moving to an S2000 from a modded classic scooby made me feel like something was lacking (initially)

Moving to a modded classic scooby made me feel like something was wrong (initially)

Old 12 January 2007, 02:17 PM
wrxcraig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EmEm
Personally, I think its an unfair comparison? A 2dr hatch back V's a 4dr Saloon car . FWD V's AWD. I can see your point about different speeds and handling in certain areas, but I would expect a compact hatchback to be quicker around a tight bend than a long saloon car - anyone else agree?

Just sit back, relax and enjoy the fun of a Scooby
u will be very suprised about saloon cars, my old cavi gsi 2000 16v was lowered 60mm with 17" and it handles like it was on rails, my m8 felt the same in his gsi, no over steer or understeer like u would of thought unless u do push it too far but u really do have to push them hard for them to do it, my vectra st200 saloon i found the rear end came loose more than the front but again u really had to push the car round corners for this to happen, my honest opinion is saloons are better alround car than hatches.
Old 12 January 2007, 02:33 PM
philis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
From 100mph up the S2000 might actually be quicker! The lack of response from the turbo is driving me nuts and as nice is the scooby sound is its not even in the same league as a free-breathing F20c.
I do miss the power delivary of a n/a engine, yes the scoob is gob smackingly quick a 3k but i tails off after 6k - its a lazy mans power, you dont have to work for it and somehow it leaves you unsatisfied.
Old 12 January 2007, 02:36 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by philis
I do miss the power delivary of a n/a engine, yes the scoob is gob smackingly quick a 3k but i tails off after 6k - its a lazy mans power, you dont have to work for it and somehow it leaves you unsatisfied.
Not me, I made some 'cumming' noises as I put my foot down today. So, in conclusion, I was totally satisfied!
Old 12 January 2007, 03:22 PM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

Good comparion there Cheif.
Old 12 January 2007, 04:37 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
That is a massive difference!!! A vehicle trapping the quarter mile at 100mph is quite considerably faster than one trapping at 90mph for example. It's a sad reality that to be very markedly quicker than another vehicle you need to have a 100bhp/ton difference IMHO. My 300+bhp STI V could probably only crawl past my old S2000. To demolish it I'd need around another 75bhp.
What are you waiting for!!!!

Get modding man!!

Ns04
Old 12 January 2007, 05:53 PM
noobscoob
Scooby Regular

I think no matter how well the teg type r was running a 190 bhp 1.8 n/a is never really going to feel up there with a 270+ bhp turbocharged impreza for sheer acceleration. the difference in delivery is just poles apart.

now had the integra had a jackson supercharger fitted that might have been a better comparison you have to take into consideration the car is almost 100 bhp shy of what you are used to and any sub 200 bhp hot hatch would probably feel just as lethargic.
Old 12 January 2007, 05:55 PM
mikeb290bhp
Scooby Regular

iv got the clio172 and a fully forged 02 plate wrx and i still love my clio they are a really under estimated car
Old 12 January 2007, 06:04 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mikeb290bhp
iv got the clio172 and a fully forged 02 plate wrx and i still love my clio they are a really under estimated car
I'm well looking forward to getting one. Looking at one tomorrow. They certainly seem to be the best value for money.

Steve
Old 12 January 2007, 06:06 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
o dear,,,,,
I'm assuming you think I will be really disappointed? I'm not expecting the clio to be anywhere near as fast as my Impreza but it must be great fun to drive and not exactly slow. I just want something modern now. Can't deal with the petrol costs any more either.
Old 12 January 2007, 06:31 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I think no matter how well the teg type r was running a 190 bhp 1.8 n/a is never really going to feel up there with a 270+ bhp turbocharged impreza for sheer acceleration. the difference in delivery is just poles apart.
Not only that but a standard DC2 Teg is going to be slower than a full 280bhp Impreza even when rolling. My 240bhp S2000 was only JUST as quick as a 280bhp classic on the move so a Teg has no hope.
Old 13 January 2007, 01:44 AM
Andy 02STI
Scooby Regular

My Mrs has a Brabus Smart For Four - that's fun turbo power and ten times better looking than the Clio and rarer too.

Flaming may begin...

Quick Reply: Impreza vs hot hatch