ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Should I fit this to my car?

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2007, 08:59 AM
[MikeyB]
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I fit this to my car?

I'm currenty running 330BHP in a MY03 WRX with a new engine rebuild, I've got a K&N Typhoon Induction Kit sat in my loft and was wondering should I get it fitted with a new remap (Costing £200 ish as I've already paid for the license)...

Would it make any difference at all? Or should I just replace the OEM air filter?

Cheers, MikeyB
Old 04 January 2007, 09:05 AM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by [MikeyB]
I'm currenty running 330BHP in a MY03 WRX with a new engine rebuild, I've got a K&N Typhoon Induction Kit sat in my loft and was wondering should I get it fitted with a new remap (Costing £200 ish as I've already paid for the license)...

Would it make any difference at all? Or should I just replace the OEM air filter?

Cheers, MikeyB
I would go for replacing the panel filter for a nice freeflow one, example, a Green filter from TSL or something similar. Masses of research has been done on air filter systems and the panel filter replacement is the number one choice.
Old 04 January 2007, 09:30 AM
[MikeyB]
Scooby Regular

The benefit of the Typhoon is the noise, and I've already got it... would you sell it and stick with a panel filter then?
Old 04 January 2007, 10:00 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I had an STi panel filter on mine which was ok, didn't notice any difference from the standard MY00 panel filter. I fitted an APS CAK and FMIC then got it remapped and it sounds fantastic. No idea if it has given the car any extra oooomph but as I have an FMIC I needed one. IMHO it sounds alot better to have the induction kit singing under the bonnet than to have one of those feckin awfull NUR spec industrial size bean can exhausts that shakes the teeth out on the motorway.

I would go for it mate and get it mapped in properly.

the induction kit coupled with my roller bearing turbo, SS DP, Prodrive resonated mid pipe and T75 back box sounds fantastic. The exhaust does not throb in the cabin on teh motorway but you can still hear the induction and rumble, it sounds like a jet winding up when you put your foot down.
Old 04 January 2007, 11:53 AM
TI7OJO
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't go for the typhoon mate, you would get better gains with the standard air box with a decent pannel filter.
Old 04 January 2007, 08:10 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done various tests on pannel filters, airboxes and cone filters.
The O/E air box is good on a Classic car to beyond 350 bhp.
I have no figures to rely on for New Age but believe they are good for even greater power from the O/E air box.
Do not fit a cone filter unless you are prepared to make a cold air divider or similar so the turbo is breathing cold air. This is important.
Four panel filters were tested, HKS Green Foam, OE Subaru, K+N and STi. The spread in performance was 2 bhp. As the results were not in line with what was expected the tests were repeated next day. Same results.
After the information was published Mike Wood of Prodrive posted that my findings were in line with theirs.
A subsequent test showed that the best filter for power ie 2 bhp more than the "worst" was also the poorest in terms of filtration.
Old 04 January 2007, 08:22 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

thought the typhoons put the air filter in the wing
Old 04 January 2007, 09:14 PM
Multijfj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevey
They do

At least if your going to fit an induction kit, then the Typhoon is the way to go.

Personally I would stick to standard airbox, and high flow panel
Old 06 January 2007, 01:41 PM
[MikeyB]
Scooby Regular

I'm going to put an uprated filter in for now, then when I get something else change, I'll stick the Typhoon on (in the wing) and save cash on the remap... thinking of putting a turbo to hit the 400BHP mark, maybe a TD06...?
Old 06 January 2007, 01:55 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevey
They do, so there's no need for the cold air divider. That's whey they're often referred to as Cold Air Induction Kits.
Old 06 January 2007, 01:57 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [MikeyB]
The benefit of the Typhoon is the noise, and I've already got it... would you sell it and stick with a panel filter then?
You're mapper would be able to tell if you're getting enough air in from the current filter. If not, then go for it. I was lOOking at the Typhoon, but went for the APS CAIK in the end. Does add a good induction noise if that's your thing.