Importing a JDM 03 STI

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2007, 10:13 AM
Rob82uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing a JDM 03 STI

dont have the money to buy a new JDM, so im after a used one

if you own one, where did you get it from, was it new and what were your experiences buying ?

also, anybody done any investigation as to how much difference there is in insurance ?
Old 01 January 2007, 10:25 AM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speak to Juggers...

PCM

Performance Centre Manchester
Old 01 January 2007, 10:35 AM
cogin
Scooby Regular

Try searching the net, plenty of people bring in older JDM's.

Got my 93 WRX wagon throu southwalesshowrooms.co.uk, a keen bunch of guys, but am not impresed with thier after sales service

Have heard a lot of good things about Welcome to the API website

As for insurance i didn't notice much if any differance between JDM and UK cars, although may insurance did insist on cat 2 or cat 1 alarm, worth noting that this could cost up to £550 on top of the car price. i can only asume that this would be the same for a UK car, and not sure about newer cars.
Old 01 January 2007, 10:52 AM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Rob82uk
dont have the money to buy a new JDM, so im after a used one

if you own one, where did you get it from, was it new and what were your experiences buying ?

also, anybody done any investigation as to how much difference there is in insurance ?
I have a JDM STi 03, which took me 7 months to find. I bought mine from Dicksons of Dunblane, Scotland, and I live in London! It had full Japanese Subaru history with all documents and handbooks, the original master key, and various other things, but most importantly, it had the Japanese Auction Certificate/sheet, which clearly tells you the grade and condition of the car. When buying a Jap import, I would say to you only buy a car where the japanese auction sheet is present, there is no excuse why it shouldn't be present. If the car has been accident repaired, even to a very high standard, this will be on the auction sheet also. My car was grade 5A, which means trhe bobywork was unmarked in any way, and the interior was in A1 condition. I personally cannot and will not buy a high performance car like a Scoob without full history/documentation. Again, there should be no excuses for these items missing. Hope this helps a bit!
Old 01 January 2007, 11:11 AM
Rob82uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cogin
Try searching the net, plenty of people bring in older JDM's.

Got my 93 WRX wagon throu southwalesshowrooms.co.uk, a keen bunch of guys, but am not impresed with thier after sales service
thats kind of the reason i didnt want to just pick somebody off a google search to spend 15k with

if the one you buy is a complete lemon i've got to have somebody reasonably able to sort it out, refund it or whatever ...

the AP site looks good, but its mostly newer stuff, they do have a 53 plate sti there though, but 16k oof
Old 01 January 2007, 11:31 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

I got my MY03 JDM STi from Litchfield Imports. Top service from the guy, only problem is it takes too long for the car to be shipped here

have a look at his website as he usually has used cars in stock.

Litchfield Imports

HTH.
Old 01 January 2007, 11:51 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

i bought my 04 jdm sti privately for a steal when the car was 6 months old. It was imported new, had fssh and 3 year warrenty.

If ever in doubt about a car, move on to the next which won't be far away

Trending Topics

Old 01 January 2007, 02:22 PM
Rob82uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SPEN555
I got my MY03 JDM STi from Litchfield Imports. Top service from the guy, only problem is it takes too long for the car to be shipped here

have a look at his website as he usually has used cars in stock.

Litchfield Imports

HTH.
nothing in stock under 17k and only one blobeye

can they source stuff to order or is it purely what they get in stock, because the blobeye they do have looks to be a customer who'se part ex'd as it has the litchfield type 20 handling pack
Old 01 January 2007, 05:19 PM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

Rob, We source cars all the time for customers Drop me a email with what your after and I'll send you some information.

Regards

Iain
Old 01 January 2007, 05:31 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

If your looking for a JDM model, go see Iain Litchfield. End of.

Wouldn't deal with anyone else.
Old 01 January 2007, 05:34 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

worth looking here
https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...rstationd.html
Old 06 March 2007, 04:55 AM
trigot33
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GREGGYG
I have a JDM STi 03, which took me 7 months to find. I bought mine from Dicksons of Dunblane, Scotland, and I live in London! It had full Japanese Subaru history with all documents and handbooks, the original master key, and various other things, but most importantly, it had the Japanese Auction Certificate/sheet, which clearly tells you the grade and condition of the car. When buying a Jap import, I would say to you only buy a car where the japanese auction sheet is present, there is no excuse why it shouldn't be present. If the car has been accident repaired, even to a very high standard, this will be on the auction sheet also. My car was grade 5A, which means trhe bobywork was unmarked in any way, and the interior was in A1 condition. I personally cannot and will not buy a high performance car like a Scoob without full history/documentation. Again, there should be no excuses for these items missing. Hope this helps a bit!
Bought an sti version 2 from dicksons in summer 2002. Thought it was overpriced as most of their cars are, at 10,500 quid, but boy could that mother f- move. Clean clean example totally unfettled with until i stuck on a mongoose straight through system and some interior mods. Also came with cusco suspension, horrible for the road, too stiff, but nothing , i mean nothing could impress u more than tanking it down the motorway, the road holding was literally out of this world. Andy napier the salesman and good all rounder has now left, as has nicky the boss son lol, so not that many jap experts left there, was always good to get a nice chat, but there cars are ok i guess, aftercare sucks.
Old 06 March 2007, 05:01 AM
trigot33
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pippyrips
i bought my 04 jdm sti privately for a steal when the car was 6 months old. It was imported new, had fssh and 3 year warrenty.

If ever in doubt about a car, move on to the next which won't be far away
When im ready to buy a car next, my prefered method would be to buy private off some enthusiast like on this site. After all it really makes no sense to buy a stock car which is what nearly everyone looks for when buying, and then spend hundreds on it. Plus im sure you would save a few quid over garage prices. Id spend the extra 2-3 saved on a nice engine transplant for some more power and a new engine.
Old 06 March 2007, 07:23 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pippyrips
Sold M8
Old 06 March 2007, 12:57 PM
KenS55STI
Scooby Regular

I've bought 2 privately through autotrader. Both were imported new by Park Lane and had all the history from new.

I wouldn't have a problem buying a car without all the history though, if the car seemed right and I was happy that the seller was genuine then why not.

My first scooby had 50k on the clock and had no history except for a japanese service book. I could not prove if the mileage was genuine, clocks had been messed with to convert to miles from kms anyway, and the bootlid had been resprayed. No signs of an accident though, and the overall condition looked like it had done that kind of mileage. I had the car for 2 and a half years and it was fine.
Old 06 March 2007, 08:35 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

I bought a 05 Jdm sti from Dicksons of Dunblane.I just checked the car over alot before i bought it .Had a few problems with the way the alarm was installed because this garage did not won't to know ie the way the siren was fitted under the bonnet plus under bonnet switch and the way the dash was put back together I sorted all these faults my self .I would not buy another Jdm scoob from them.The salesman has not got a clue about the car he is selling .I have Japanese service book and master key.Andy Napier was away when i bought the car in November 2005 .Nothing wrong with the car just the garages after care .

Last edited by DIPSY; 06 March 2007 at 08:48 PM.