ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

SHOULD I BUY A THIS STI V4?

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2006, 03:30 PM
MR.T
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SHOULD I BUY A THIS STI V4?

Hi, i know someone that has a 97 v4(i think) sti for sale and they would take my 96 r33 skyline in p/x

the sti has a nice subtle kit, full respray in a light blue flip, alloy, brembo big brakes, coilovers, full de-cat'd s/s, filter, water injection, elecy boost controller and has a new rebuilt engine and hybrid turbo still being run in

my skyline is a spec2 gtst with stage 1 mods and i just got some nice nismo lmgt4 alloys for it....

what bhp would the sti be at? i want to test drive it and see how it drives and quick it is to my skyline but its still running in

i dont want to get it, run it in then think oh poo
Old 28 December 2006, 03:36 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

"...light blue flip..."? I pity you; fool!
Old 28 December 2006, 03:42 PM
MR.T
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by GC8
"...light blue flip..."? I pity you; fool!
no not a chav flip, i think its alfa noval blue or something, its light blue with a gold pearl
Old 28 December 2006, 03:43 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Old 28 December 2006, 03:45 PM
GrantyBoy
Scooby Regular

seen this in Autotrader. Who did the rebuilt work and what is the turbo they've put in? Also, has it all been mapped?
rough guess on the BHP for the STI, 310ish+
Old 28 December 2006, 04:18 PM
MR.T
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by GrantyBoy
seen this in Autotrader. Who did the rebuilt work and what is the turbo they've put in? Also, has it all been mapped?
rough guess on the BHP for the STI, 310ish+
it was done by some scooby tuner place in chelmsford. there is i light blue one on autotrader and if it is the one with white alloys then thats not it

what would it give by adding ecu, injectors and i/c?

whats better or faster, a 330hp gtst or sti with 330 odd?
Old 28 December 2006, 04:23 PM
GrantyBoy
Scooby Regular

Adding ECU, injectors with supporting fuel mods and uprated I/C you'd be looking at 350bhp which will be getting close to the limit of the gearbox.

The STI will be quicker over B roads and in more real world driving situations. The Skyline carries the prestige of the Skyline name and will be quicker when you get above legal speed limits due to the larger displacment.
IMO
Old 28 December 2006, 04:35 PM
MR.T
Scooby Newbie

Adding ECU, injectors with supporting fuel mods and uprated I/C you'd be looking at 350bhp which will be getting close to the limit of the gearbox.

The STI will be quicker over B roads and in more real world driving situations. The Skyline carries the prestige of the Skyline name and will be quicker when you get above legal speed limits due to the larger displacment.
IMO
what would a 350hp sti do a 1/4 mile or 0-60? i dont want to be replacin the gear box with one that costs more than the car!

i know, my skyline has killed most things over 60 mph, but then i hardly ever go on motorways and stuff, thats why i thought a scoob would be better for rapid sprits on normal roads........

this scoob really stands out, there are like 100 scoobys down southend on saturdays and they all look the same and i would miss driving the skyline hearin wow skyline as i drive past people......
Old 28 December 2006, 04:38 PM
GrantyBoy
Scooby Regular

0-60 say low 4s and 1/4 mile low 12's with a good launch. BUT the gearbox and clutch won't take that abuse for long unless uprated due to you being close to the limit of the gear box.

But I think you'll find 300ish enough to start with
Old 28 December 2006, 04:56 PM
MR.T
Scooby Newbie

0-60 say low 4s and 1/4 mile low 12's with a good launch. BUT the gearbox and clutch won't take that abuse for long unless uprated due to you being close to the limit of the gear box.

But I think you'll find 300ish enough to start with
i can see buyin a clutch ok but a strong box would cost abit......i have a quote from a tuner in oz that will build a rb30 with 550hp@hubs+ all in for £7000......but i dont know
Old 06 January 2007, 07:59 PM
MR.T
Scooby Newbie

i just been out for a test drive in the scooby! we had really bad rain tho..........but! when i was driving the scoob i was able to take roundabouts fast/normal and use some gas without being sceared of the rear sliding out and spinin the car. i did pull out from a junction fast in the wet and it was 100% grip, if i had have drove my skyline like that i would have spun and crashed it.

i was very let down with the how quick i thought it would be, i drove down a 70mph limit and i thought it felt slow.......but after driving it for 30minutes it must have warmed up as it started to feel faster....could have been going from a wide motorway to a normal road? we think it would be alot faster with a elecy boost controller as it still runs stock boost

it was nice to drive and liked the fact that i could use it in this weather!

i did think the gear mega gay! it had a short shift fitted and just pullin away it was reving to 4k+ i found it a little tricky to drive with low revs
Old 06 January 2007, 08:02 PM
MR.T
Scooby Newbie

here is a link to the skyline oc and what has been said
Skyline Owners Forum

i do love the skyline tho, more easy to drive slow

Skyline Owners Forum
Old 06 January 2007, 08:16 PM
MR.T
Scooby Newbie

any sti's with up'd boost and other engine mods going to southend tonight?
Old 06 January 2007, 08:36 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

the sti is and will be quicker off the mark but once the skyline gets into her stride then i am afraid its tatty bye !! less g/box drag and straight six grunt ! had both so actual truth not assumptions ! edited here........forgot to say that my skyline sat on my drive for 5 months and hardly turned a wheel due to wintery farm roads but now i just powerslide them !! yee haa...scoobies are good too. horses for courses...

Last edited by rabskyline; 06 January 2007 at 08:41 PM.