ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Oh where has all the SUL gone???

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2000, 12:21 AM
CharliePsycho
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Here I am in deepest darkest North Devon and all the local garages seem to be shutting down the SUL pumps

In fact the Local Esso in Bideford (2 miles) being nearly the only one now, is talking about stopping. The next nearest is an independent at Bickington - 7 miles (I think due to the rolling road there) None whatsoever in Barnstaple and a small indie in Braunton (15 miles)... I think there is one in Bude (12 miles) - Esso

All the others (BP & Esso) have stopped doing SUL in the last couple of weeks...

What with the advent of low sulphur I think this is only going to get worse... I have just ordered 5 bottles of octane booster to up Premium, but I don't know how effective this is (advice anyone?)

And a quick technical question... Just what is lead free 4 star??? does it have an octane rating? is it safe on catalysts?

How is everybody else finding it??
Old 11 November 2000, 12:33 AM
CB1
Scooby Regular

Exactly the same problem where I live. Esso have stopped SUL. The guy in the garage told me they were on 'emergancy' supplies so no super. He could not confirm if they would be sell super again!!!!!!

Can anyone shed some light on this as I have an STI

CB
Old 11 November 2000, 12:54 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Lead Free Four Star is commonly known as LRP, Lead Replacement Petrol. It is supposed to be rated at 97 octane. There is no British Standard for it and it should NOT be used with exhaust catalysts - in fact the LRP nozzle is probably too big to fit into the narrow gauge filler which you have. Many non-cat' car owners report poor running using LRP and it can clog the fuel system. I am told that low sulphur has a lower energy content than regular unleaded. A quick plug for our product - Broquet. Many scooby owners use Broquet (a one-off fitment into the tank)to effectively boost octane and run well on regular unleaded and gain an economy improvement as well. Mail me off-board and I will be pleased to send you more info. David