Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chancel repair liability- worth it or not..?

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2006, 06:07 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Chancel repair liability- worth it or not..?

After already paying out a small fortune in fee's to move house (hopefully moving just after Christmas..) our solicitor has informed us that we may be liable for Chancel repair charges and can indemnify ourselves for a 'small' fee of £155..! (via a third party).

Now, even though we've lived in this parish for many years, knowing many family and friends in the same parish, this is the first I've heard of this possible liability..

If anyone has any experience of this issue and can shed any light on the possible risk involved should we decide not to cover ourselves I'd be extremely grateful..

J

PS mods I'm aware this should possible be NSR, but I could do with some urgent input..
Old 15 December 2006, 06:12 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You buying a Church or something??

Either way Insurance will pay commission to the Solicitor - ask him what the details are and get cover yourself for £29:99 ... or thereabouts!
Old 15 December 2006, 06:41 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Apparently if you live within a church parish then legally you can be asked to fund part of any repairs. As the parish where we live is quite big IF there was any claim it would be spread over 100's (more like 1000's) of houses and therefore nominal (hopefully..)
This, coupled with the fact that this church has historically chose to raise money by other means (fund raising etc) not using this (law..?), has convinced me that is not worth taking out indemnity. To me it's a bit like the warranties Comet and the like try to flog you when you buy a new TV (whoops, bad analogy Pete..) ..!
Old 15 December 2006, 07:21 PM
C_B_B
Scooby Regular

Worth doing for peace of mind.

One of the many Acts passed a few years ago by Labour effectively ends the churchs right to demand Chancelry repair costs at some time around 2010 (i forget the time and date of the act, it's Friday, too much beer!) The fear is that the church will have one last push for extra funds just before the deadline.

Not all the houses in your village are likely to fall into the catchment area for paying.

HTH
Old 15 December 2006, 08:10 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Ahh, very interesting..

Thanks mate..
Old 16 December 2006, 12:12 AM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

Location: ESSEX ...BORN AND BRED PETROL HEAD....................... MANS BEST FRIEND IS A ENGLISH BULL TERRIER

Their was somthing about this on telly the other day theirs a ancient law of bygone years and you can be asked to foot the bill of repairs the couple on the telly got a bill for qrtr of a million tried arguing the case in court but it was in black and white and they are now footing the bill cant even sell yhe place with the bill over their head sorry cant remember what program it was,
I'd think about paying the small amount for peace of mind
KIP