MY05 sti v MY06 wrx(PPP)

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2006, 01:05 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY05 sti v MY06 wrx(PPP)

Hi all,

I'm having a sort of a dilemma for the moment, so I'm looking for any helpful advice

I drive for the moment an my02 wrx ppp, and highly considering to change it to smth else. It has to be a daily driver, but also one which goes if I floor it, so good for fun too.
The 2 options I ahave come up it a new my06 wrx(possibly with ppp) or a 1 year old my05 sti PPP with 10k on board. As price the sti is more expensive, but only with about 2.5k. What do you think, which one is better value for money ? and which one will hold the value better ?

Didn't do a test drive yet, cause than I know I want one However I did a test a few month ago on a standard my06 wrx, and was not impressed at all.

Needles to say I'm inclined for the sti, just not sure if the price is justified, infact for considering any of the cars. Would the sti be a big jump for me, or shouldn't bother and keep my ppp'ed wrx.

All oppinions are welcomed

Cheers,
B.
Old 15 December 2006, 02:20 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

I had the choice of the a brand new MY06 STi or a brand new MY05 STi and choose the MY05 STi so i cant see the standard WRX winning this dilemma.

The MY05 STi comes with all the technical enhancements of the MY06 model (interior, wider base, DCCD-A etc..) but also comes with its awesome 2.0litre engine (instead of the lazy 2.5).

Drive them both, i think the STi will win your heart from the first corner / chance to give it some. I use mine as a daily driver and its awesome.... bit tiresome for 2hr+ journeys if they are just motorways etc... but anything else and its an extremely fulfilling experience from start to finish.

Needless to say, im very happy with my choice but i do feel you should drive them both.
Old 15 December 2006, 03:27 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

Thx for the reply.
The my06 sti is out of my budget anyway, but I think you are right, I'll ask for a test drive
Old 15 December 2006, 03:40 PM
Ministry Maniac
Scooby Regular

Yeah, stick with the 2.0 litre lump. If it's good enough for the japs, it's good enough for us. lol.
Old 15 December 2006, 03:49 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I went through this decision last March... ended up with MY06 WRX PPP.

As Mike Wood from Prodrive has said the PPP WRX in it's current state (with springs and 18" wheels) is the a great car for all occasions, i.e if you do a fair bit of communiting as well as giving it some its a more 'rounded' choice than the STi.

If however it's just a fun car and will be tuned in the fture i'd go for the STi.

Tony.
Old 15 December 2006, 05:04 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

test drive back to back. don't know what you're looking for from the car, but if you afford the sti go for that.

you could find yourself getting bored with the wrx and spend a shed load just getting it up to the sti spec, let alone beyond it.

they are different cars though, so obviously it's what's better suited to your requirements
Old 15 December 2006, 05:19 PM
555Rob555
Scooby Regular

Don't buy a new one. Get the one that has already taken the major depreciation hit.
Old 15 December 2006, 08:18 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

Thx again for all the comments. It is great to hear what you guys think
I'll go for a test drive and see what I like. I like driving my car, and I like the 2.0 engine better, that I already know. I don't like the smoothness of the my06, feels like a german car, not like the 2.0 with turbo kick, which I love
The new 06 wrx is indeed not very good for depreciation, but is it really worse then a 1 year old sti ? My gutfeeling tells me that the sti is better for value, but it might be marginally influenced by my heart
As looks I must admit I like the my 06 more. But since I'd like performance too, I don't think the new wrx even with ppp woukd do it for me, as it is marginally faster then the bugeye I have and then it woudn't justify the money spent on it. The sti is around 305 bhp, and I can rev it till 7000 I think which must be nice Plus the sti has all the thing already on the car I'd like to have.
I hope I can have a testdrive tomorrow, will post if I have one.
Old 16 December 2006, 08:24 PM
bmac800
Scooby Regular

Go for the STI every time.I had a UK300 which is a tarted up WRX and traded it in for a new MY05 STI and have never regretted it,the STI is better by miles.Neither car has PPP but even without the STI is still excellent -faster,better handling and better looking.As has been posted above consider a very low mileage second hand one there is some bargains to be had - just have a look on Autotrader website.I know when I had the WRX I always thought to myself - wish Id bought an STI.
Old 17 December 2006, 10:13 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bmac800
Go for the STI every time.I had a UK300 which is a tarted up WRX and traded it in for a new MY05 STI and have never regretted it,the STI is better by miles.Neither car has PPP but even without the STI is still excellent -faster,better handling and better looking.As has been posted above consider a very low mileage second hand one there is some bargains to be had - just have a look on Autotrader website.I know when I had the WRX I always thought to myself - wish Id bought an STI.
Exactly my way of thinking.
That is why yesterday I bought the Sti

I drove an sti only once before, and that was 3 years ago, so didn't quite remember how it was, but yesterday went in, asked for a testdrive, drove it for 45 mins, went back and bought it The sales guy said even after half an hour I was still smileing

The thing is, that I must say, this car is on a different level then my wrx ppp. I still have limited comments on differences, but you can feel a quite a big one, and I didn't expect that.
The acceleration and sound is awesome, till around 3500 rpm, seems like my wrx, but after that it is just unbelivable.
The only slight concerns I have is that the car was hopefully not abused before, but as mileage it is low, has only 18 k kms. I never took it above 7k rpm, but after I drove I noticed that the exhaust had a bit of balck smoke remains. Is that smth I should be worried about ? My wrx rarely left any smoke remains on the exhaust. I also noticed that when changing gears, after I reved high -> than change, sometimes it was puffing. Bad fuel maybe ? In any case I liked it The car is 08.2005, so still some good factory warranty on it.

In any case, I was speachless; the sti is just sooo much more than the wrx I have(had ).
Also it seems that the build quality is much better then my bugeye, as I didn't hear any rattles or strange noises from the inside or engine or anything or it is just because it is still quite new. I'll see that I guess

One thing I'm slightly worried is that it does seem to get a lot of attention on the road, as already during testdrive I got 2 chavs trying to race and tail me....

all in all I'm extremely happy, and can't wait to pick it up, which will happen in about 3 weeks only.

Last edited by maci; 17 December 2006 at 10:18 PM.