Sponsored by:

Overtaking safely?

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2006, 10:29 AM
amahrap
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overtaking safely?

I would consider myself to be a fairly safe and considerate driver (for a Scooby owner), I have always ridden fast bikes but am now also on my second Scooby. Riding the bikes for so long has made me think of others and drive quite defensively, I even don’t overtake until I’m sure that the road ahead is clear and safe even if others do so – it has kept me alive and safe this long so it must be working.

When I overtake I stay well back, wait for a safe place, indicate, move past quickly (OK going well over the speed limit but coming back down to it when past the car in front) – I even normally indicate back in.

So can anyone tell my WHY DO THESE SLOW BUGGERS KEEP FLASHING THEIR HEADLIGHTS AT ME.

I have only noticed this happening recently – why all of a sudden do people keep doing it? (There is nothing at all wrong with the car or the lights, I have checked)

Are we not allowed to overtake vanilla cars anymore?
Old 15 December 2006, 10:40 AM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

seems that way... also WHY do the slow bu66ers HAVE to sit in the middle lane too....

Dont use the spec'C' that much but sometimes get the same response.... maybe its the flames....
Old 15 December 2006, 10:42 AM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

They do it because unfortunately people are of the mind-set that "the speed limit is 50, i'm driving at 50, therefor you shouldn't overtake me...."

Just because YOU don't want to drive slightly faster, doesn't mean you have the right to stop me
Old 15 December 2006, 10:44 AM
SivMY05Sti
Scooby Regular

I reckon its the Scooby spoilers and image - I've had loads more abuse thrown at me from other drivers.....even pedestrians since I've had this car - to be honest it gets you down a bit, I can be tootling along below the speed limit and some old duffer will flash me and then mouth ' slow down' at me ...........euthanasia is my preferred solution
Old 15 December 2006, 10:45 AM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

I've been a Scooby driver for about six years now

MY98 PPP Wagon, WR1 and Now Spec D (350bhp) and I have noticed it getting worse throughout this time.

What I find all the more remarkable is that 9/10 having rebuked you for overtaking they then catch up with you and tailgate you when you slow down and obey the 30mph going through a village. Muppets!

It isn't just a Scooby thing though I get the same reaction if I overtake in the Tiger or Bora, so I suspect sports exhaust noise and the look of a 'sports car' is also a trigger to this behaviour.

Robin
Old 15 December 2006, 10:46 AM
amahrap
Scooby Regular

If that was the case that they were at the limit it would at least be understandable - but the last 2 cases have been 30 in a 60 and 40 in a 60 so i have every right to overtake and driving that slow they should expect it !!
Old 15 December 2006, 10:48 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Tripple'O G
They do it because unfortunately people are of the mind-set that "the speed limit is 50, i'm driving at 50, therefor you shouldn't overtake me...."

Just because YOU don't want to drive slightly faster, doesn't mean you have the right to stop me
don't you mean, limit is 50 so i'll drive at 40

think there just jelous
Old 15 December 2006, 10:52 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I'd say if you live in England it has almost become the norm to abuse anyone who decides to overtake. It seems to me to have become customary to flash/beep/give a w**ker sign to anyone that decides to overtake - however in the Scottish Hioghlands where they all drive like nutters overtaking is not seen as something to be ashamed of
Old 15 December 2006, 10:54 AM
movi-star
Scooby Regular

Upgrade the Horn to something very loud, then when they flash you honk the horn, it will certainly give them a shock!

Ive just recently put a Nautilus on mine, 1st chance to use it was when a Russell Brand lookie-likee walked out in the road, looked at me and he thought I aint moving for you, so I just got up real close then let the Nautlius rip............boy did he jump! very funny!
Old 15 December 2006, 10:57 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

i just wave as if they know me lol, that gets there goats up lol
Old 15 December 2006, 11:00 AM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

don't you mean, limit is 50 so i'll drive at 40
Nope, I meant in kind of like a motorway situation....
People that drive at 70 in the outside lane and decide not to move over drive me mad....

"Well i'm driving at the speed limit, why should I pull over......"

"No, it's the overtaking lane and I WANT TO GO FASTER THAN YOU??!?!? GET OUT OF MY ******* WAY...BEEEP BEEEP FLASH FLASH FLASH BEEEP BEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP"

or something along those lines
Old 15 December 2006, 11:10 AM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

I think a lot of people, mainly due to the constant brainwashing of the 'speed and, nothing else ever, kills everyone including Tigers, fluffy kittens, dolphins, coral and not forgetting the environment' think overtaking is illegal, my colleague constantly gets flashed in his 1.6 MKIV Golf...
Old 15 December 2006, 11:11 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

It is happeneing more and more often. I think they are so pre-occupied with whats ahead of them and restricting themselves to their self imposed 40-45mph meadering speed limit in a 30zone or 60zone (regardless) that when you overtake they don't see you comming.

And because the Impreza's prime forte is fast overtakes, thanks to its silly fast 40-90mph sprint capeability, you overtake them like they are standing still. If I overtake a car doing 40mph, I hold hold back, drop a gear, wait for build the boost to build up and then let rip. By the time I've past I will be doing over 80mph. To the other car, its probably feels like being buzzed by a jetfighter whilst walking on a hillside, waking them up from their sedate daydreaming motoring antics, which they take firm exception to.
Old 15 December 2006, 11:24 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

It's because "Speed Kills" (Yawn ), and because if you drive faster, you use more fuel and contribute more carbon dioxide so you must want to destroy the planet......(Yawn Yawn, )

Alcazar
Old 15 December 2006, 11:24 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

random fact of the day, all the cows combined produce more greenhouses gasses than all cars combined 10 times over
Old 15 December 2006, 11:26 AM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
I'd say if you live in England it has almost become the norm to abuse anyone who decides to overtake. It seems to me to have become customary to flash/beep/give a w**ker sign to anyone that decides to overtake - however in the Scottish Hioghlands where they all drive like nutters overtaking is not seen as something to be ashamed of
The amazing thing, is that when the people that this thread is aimed at, head towards the highlands, and on to single track roads, they have no idea that a passing place is to allow faster traffic from behind to pass as well as oncoming traffic (the locals detest tourist traffic). Even the A9 has large signs everywhere indicating that "frustration kills - allow overtaking" - do they bother - NO .
I think if the Government wants to lower the amount of cars on the road at any given time, then a good start would be to introduce a compulsory resit of the driving test every 10 years. The test would more prominently be based on road awareness, sensible speed (ie not 35 in a 60) and lane discipline (especially at roundabouts and on Motorways). Get rid of the idiots on the road, and we will lose a lot of road rage and make the world flow a little easier.
Rant Finished - sorry for wasting your time.
Craig
Old 15 December 2006, 11:27 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Speed reduces Time Exposed to Danger when overtaking.

As long as it's safe, a quicker car is MUCH safer for overtaking with.

I used to drive an F355 a bit (not mine but insured on it) and often got virtual road rage attacks directed at me every time I overtook anyone.
Which was often.
Old 15 December 2006, 11:32 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy

I used to drive an F355 a bit (not mine but insured on it) and often got virtual road rage attacks directed at me every time I overtook anyone.
Which was often.
not many scoobs if it was a 355,,,, pmsl

chap who lives across the road from me is a mechanic on racign ferris, does all the work on a few of the cars his friend/son drives.

used have a 355, that was sold an he now he looks after a red and white one of these.

was parked outside his house while he put a 355 in his garage and loaded this one on

Old 15 December 2006, 11:36 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

That's very nice indeed!

Sorry, didn't relate it to Scoobs but I also used to drive an early '96 Scoob (it was new then-again not mine but insured on it) and never really had much trouble.
Don't think people knew what they were in those days!

Any lucky people on here got or getting an RB320 then?!
Old 15 December 2006, 11:38 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

didn't relate it to Scoobs
ferrari pics don't but i love that car, full race spec 360, sounds awesome.

i think today people don't like having somone go ahead of them, wetehr it be driving or anything
Old 15 December 2006, 11:42 AM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Which was often.
Yes for some reason flashing is more often than not combined with sign language when the overtaking car is a supercar. It also increases the chance they will jink right as you are passing them (how dangerous) had a numpty in a Skoda do this to me last time I was out. Giving me the finger with one hand, while jerking his car to the right with the other. He than followed me for about a mile flashing his lights. I actually wondered about not turning off to my village and driving to the nearest police station at one point.
Old 15 December 2006, 11:50 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by RobinSherwood
Yes for some reason flashing is more often than not combined with sign language when the overtaking car is a supercar. It also increases the chance they will jink right as you are passing them (how dangerous) had a numpty in a Skoda do this to me last time I was out. Giving me the finger with one hand, while jerking his car to the right with the other. He than followed me for about a mile flashing his lights. I actually wondered about not turning off to my village and driving to the nearest police station at one point.
Safe overtaking is a lost art in this country.

People seem to think it amounts to queue jumping, or that by doing it you must be an irresponsible speed freak. When all it means is you wish to go faster than them and aren't about to tailgate them in an attempt to make them go faster than a speed that they are comfortable with. Quite how trying to stop you from completing the move by speeding up or swerving in front of you is consistent with promoting safe driving is beyond me!

Sadly, these days, I assume that the person in front will behave in such a fashion and pick my moments accordingly. If they flash, I let em get on with it; with a 320bhp classic scooby more often than not they're a distant memory very quickly!

Ns04
Old 15 December 2006, 11:52 AM
New_scooby_04

Spot on. The highway code says you should overtake as quickly as possible!
This defence might not work with the magistrate though!
Old 15 December 2006, 11:52 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Got a similar road rage attack when I had the R32.
Some guy tailgated me (about a foot from my bumper) for about a mile so I gave him the bird as I turned off.
He suddenly went my way, overtook (built up area, heavy traffic, very dangerous) stopped, jumped out and went psyco on me.

I laughed at him, locked my doors and sat there until he went away.

Another guy went schizo at a petrol station because I didn't move away quick enough - I actually confronted him and made him look very silly.

Anyway - Having a quick car is not all good!
Old 15 December 2006, 12:03 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I had to chauffeur a very odd couple once and they screamed at me every time I went over 50 (in a 60 then a 70).

I attempted hiding but I was still spotted...
Old 15 December 2006, 12:08 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Default Pushy, queue jumping boy racers....

Last night 29 in a 60 mph limit , used 2nd gear to do a 3 second overtake on an empty road..... Flashed and beeped at... WTF...

Run out in country a week ago, pass Range Rover doing 40 mph, he re-passes at 50 mph in a 30 limit with speed bumps.... PMSL

P.S. My late old dear drove round town at 35 mph, and went to Morrisons at 45 mph, except the time she only got into third gear. Drove all the way at 29 mph in a sixty limit..... Cringe, should have seen the queue behind us...
Old 15 December 2006, 12:10 PM
chris-boris
Scooby Regular

I get this trouble all the time driving around canterbury in my scooby. I tend to be a very curtious driver and always stop to let people out etc etc and the amount of abuse i suffer for going out of my way to be helpful is truely astounding.

one of the most recent incidents i remember was last week. it was rush hour so lots of traffic. an oler couple (60's at a guess) wanted to cross the road at a zebra crossing but no-one was stopping. i stopped and hence the other traffic had to aswell. they were crossing from the other side of the road from me. they said thank you to the car on the other side of the road to me and then looked at me, shook their heads and the guy waved his fist at me!

i really dont understand how so many peaople of all ages have managed to lose all sense of respect for others who dont drive a 'normal' car or look different to a 'normal' person etc etc
Old 15 December 2006, 12:15 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I did Rozza training (no I'm not a Rozza) and we were encouraged to drive quickly and confidently in most situations.

Overtaking was a reall case of thrashing the nuts off the car.
Quite good fun and no danger of getting busted either!
Old 15 December 2006, 12:52 PM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobinSherwood
What I find all the more remarkable is that 9/10 having rebuked you for overtaking they then catch up with you and tailgate you when you slow down and obey the 30mph going through a village. Muppets!
Totally agree with you on this point Robin - I have had this happen many times and it drives me up the wall.
Old 15 December 2006, 03:13 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Man
It is happeneing more and more often. I think they are so pre-occupied with whats ahead of them and restricting themselves to their self imposed 40-45mph meadering speed limit in a 30zone or 60zone (regardless) that when you overtake they don't see you comming.

And because the Impreza's prime forte is fast overtakes, thanks to its silly fast 40-90mph sprint capeability, you overtake them like they are standing still. If I overtake a car doing 40mph, I hold hold back, drop a gear, wait for build the boost to build up and then let rip. By the time I've past I will be doing over 80mph. To the other car, its probably feels like being buzzed by a jetfighter whilst walking on a hillside, waking them up from their sedate daydreaming motoring antics, which they take firm exception to.
LOL Well put

Quick Reply: Overtaking safely?