Sponsored by:

2006 STI Magazine Tests

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2006, 09:44 PM
scoobydog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 STI Magazine Tests

I Haven't driven a 2006 STI but am confused by the inconsistent road tests in some of the mags. eg What do Evo mean in the latest issue by the fact it has "funny steering" and yet the road test of the mechanically identical Spec D says the steering is direct and only mentions a bit of torque steer.

Some mags say the 2006 STI has a far softer ride than before yet some mags (including the Evo Spec D test) says the ride is punishing.

What's going on?

What's the general opinion of the 2006 STI? Reason I ask is I might upgrade to one (then again might wait until the 2008 model) and could road test it but a road test isn't the same as living with one.

Thanks
Old 11 December 2006, 10:16 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Take no notice of what the motoring press say - forever brought up and spoilt testing Supercars such as the Zonda, Gallardo etc. and then they go and slate the Subaru's steering, i think mags like EVO are losing it big time.

Ok it may not have the feel of a Elise or even an old 205 GTI but you need to look into perspective and see what the Subaru is looking to achieve.

As in a very fast point to point weapon.

Best bet take one out for a drive and make your own mind up
Old 11 December 2006, 10:35 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Subarus, like many cars with PAS have never ever had proper steering. Over assisted, not enough feedback and not enough weighting up under cornering. If anything, the later models are better.

Except for the old RA with the non-assisted rack - proper manly steering, non of this girly PAS nonsense
Old 11 December 2006, 11:05 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
Take no notice of what the motoring press say - forever brought up and spoilt testing Supercars such as the Zonda, Gallardo etc. and then they go and slate the Subaru's steering, i think mags like EVO are losing it big time.

Ok it may not have the feel of a Elise or even an old 205 GTI but you need to look into perspective and see what the Subaru is looking to achieve.

As in a very fast point to point weapon.

Best bet take one out for a drive and make your own mind up
Weapon
Old 12 December 2006, 10:31 AM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

no probs with torque steer on my 06 STI...one mans nightmare is an other mans dream..makes for good reading and sells the mag