ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Association of British Drivers (ABD)

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2000, 06:31 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Is anyone out there a member of the ABD?

What do you get for your subscription (GBP15 per year) - newsletters, stickers, meets? What do they actually _do_?

They seem to be just about the only organisation out there on the side of the motorist - but are they worth joining?

mb
Old 04 November 2000, 06:58 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Good point - I'm not sure they've actually achieved anything yet apart from act like the opposition government!
Old 05 November 2000, 11:39 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Boomer,

I'm a member - they send out newsletters, stickers etc.

More importantly, they are increasingly represented in the media putting the motorist's point of view across.

They are also represented on PACTS (the parliamentary advisory committee on transport safety), where they do an excellent job of balancing the views of the rabidly anti-car lobby groups (FOE, Transport 2000 etc. Their arguments are usually science based, and are used to counter the abuse of statistics and distortions which are often passed off as 'fact' by these groups.

As the Government has to consult prior to introducing new legislation, this is extemely important in preventing T2000's recommendations such as the introduction of 30mph limits on all unclassified roads becoming law on grounds of increased safety.

I think they are deserving our support - visit their website
Old 06 November 2000, 02:04 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

I'm also a member. They have an egroups mailing list which can be 'interesting'.

Well worth 15 quid if only to improve the visbility of the group. Someone needs tp stand up for car owners in this country.

C
Old 06 November 2000, 03:27 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

I joined on the basis that any extra members should help them argue the case, they appear to be the only organisation with a clue as regards traffic on our roads. So come on join up and hope they can talk some british government into doing the right things.

That was a party political broadcast on behalf of the ABD.
Old 09 November 2000, 11:37 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Meethinks that i had better join up then. For the cost of a hundred miles or so of *fun* driving, maybe we can influence Fatty 2J (just seen Clarkson - wicked) to back off on the bus lanes etc.

mb
Old 10 November 2000, 02:34 AM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

I'm a member too.Have a read of their website,but be prepared it will make you angry.

Transport2000 are the enemy,make no mistake.They only have relativly few members and yet have the ear of the politicians,the ABD also has a small membership so any new members will have a big effect on their credability.

I mean lets face it the AA and RAC only want to sell us insurance these days,they are simply profit orientated businesses.I don't even think they are British owned anymore.Fat chance of them sticking up for us.

Andy