Sponsored by:

Car park bump

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2006, 04:46 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car park bump

Someone backed into me today in Tesco, they have admitted fault and want to settle away from insurance!

Do I need to inform the police incase they decided it wasn't their fault or they weren't even there?
Old 10 December 2006, 04:55 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Someone backed into me today in Tesco, they have admitted fault and want to settle away from insurance!

Do I need to inform the police incase they decided it wasn't their fault or they weren't even there?
You can do just to cover your ar*e in case they try and say they never touched you in any car park and have never seen you before. I would but then again i,d go through the insurance as i,d want my car back mint and not fixed by a mate of the fella who hit you
Old 10 December 2006, 04:58 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

It would be better to report it to the Police, your insurers may be able to obtain a report from them in due course.

................only thing is, if no-one was injured, the police normally aren't interested.

Did you have any witnesses, passengers etc? Do you have his reg no, insurance company etc?
Old 10 December 2006, 05:04 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

It won't be long before someone points you to my thread Whilst I'm in the position of being the guy trying to resolve a minor scrape without going through insurance I can also understand the 'play it safe' view of the other side of the fence. Have a read of my thread in 'non-scooby related' I think there are some extreme views in there but I guess these days you do have to look after number 1.
Old 10 December 2006, 06:21 PM
acko
Scooby Regular

i dont think the police would get involved because it was in a private car park, ie- tesco
Old 10 December 2006, 06:31 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

I have their name address, phone number and Reg as well as insurance company information.

Its not much damage, a tow bar scraped just next to fog light.
Only a minor scratch, he said get a quote and if its expensive the insurance will need to get involved. I dont wanna be taken for a ride here?

Stupid question maybe but what number do I ring for the police? my local station is closed, can it wait til tomorrow?

Oh and also have pictures taken on the camera phone of both cars and the area and position the cars where in!! making sure to show their reg
Old 10 December 2006, 06:33 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
It would be better to report it to the Police, your insurers may be able to obtain a report from them in due course.

................only thing is, if no-one was injured, the police normally aren't interested.

Did you have any witnesses, passengers etc? Do you have his reg no, insurance company etc?

Two passengers girlfriends mother and sister
Old 10 December 2006, 06:39 PM
ScoobyNoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I have their name address, phone number and Reg as well as insurance company information.

Its not much damage, a tow bar scraped just next to fog light.
Only a minor scratch, he said get a quote and if its expensive the insurance will need to get involved. I dont wanna be taken for a ride here?

Stupid question maybe but what number do I ring for the police? my local station is closed, can it wait til tomorrow?
No need to inform the police unless someone was hurt. I had a similar scrape in a car park in town and phoned the local station, they weren't interested when they found out there was no damage other than to my car and the 4x4 that reversed into me.

The guy admitted fault and asked me to phone him to get it sorted out personally but I was about to sell the car and wanted it done quickly so went through my insurance.

Unless you can be bothered to get a quote done off your own back and can get cold hard cash off the other party before getting the work done I'd advise getting it done through insurance.

Steve
Old 11 December 2006, 01:24 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

The police will not be interested, & definately wont be generating an accident report, because 1) the accident occured on private (Tesco's) land, 2) there were no injuries & 3) the "offending" party has given you all the details required of them.

If you are in any doubt the only thing you should do is contact their insurance company to report the incident - but why not give them a break & give them the opportunity to pay you for the repairs (you arrange the repairs where you prefer & they agree to pay). They may not want to involve their insurers cos they're trying to keep their no claim bonus.

If you hit someone accidently, accepted it was your fault & offered to pay would you want the other driver going off & trying to involve the police & everyone else???

Just my 2p worth....
Old 11 December 2006, 03:52 PM
irons
Scooby Newbie

dont talk silly, so if i went and smashed up someones car in a tesco car park and a copper was sitting next to me, he would say its ok fella go ahead its a private car park and nobody is being hurt lol???? the police have a duty to file a report surely???? all in all tho mate if you get the police into it your going way over the top, a minor scrape aint worth their time or yours. hold the person to their word....there are still some honest people living in this world. if someone stole my car, with police chasing em..im wondering if they drove it into a tesco car park would the police then have to surrond it??? i mean not being allowed to do anything cos its a private car park and nobodys being hurt???
Old 12 December 2006, 01:29 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

Everything is relative & should be taken in perspective.... If a "crime" is committed on private land, ie Tesco's cp, such as someone deliberately "smashing up" another car, or a stolen car was found, or chased, into the carpark then sure, the police would take the appropriate interest & action. But, for an unintentional minor accident damage to a car without any laws being broken or injuries sustained, then no, the police are most unlikely to be particularly interested....