Sponsored by:

road angel

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2006, 01:44 PM
MSM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default road angel

where is the best position to mount a road angel compact, i have tried several locations on the das but cannot find one to keep a signal lock - or do i need a seperate aerial?
Old 09 December 2006, 03:26 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

You have a scoobie? If so shouldn't be a problem. Fords have a problem because they have a heated front screen and the wires can filter out the satellite signals. Renaults have a problem because they have a thin metal film on the screen to stop reflections or something, the blue sheen you sometimes see when they come towards you, also filters out satellite signals. So with either of these you probably need a separate aerial but not with the scoobie.

I've got a Garmin sat nav that sits in the middle of the screen above the clock, gets great signals. I've got an orgin B2 GPS camera "detector" and the aerial for that is under the dash next to the clock, it looks up though the dash top and then through the screen, also works fine.

You know that on cold start a GPS can take up to 5 minutes to lock on? It needs to download loads of data from the satellites, the ephemeris I think it's called. After that a so called warm start should be more like 15 secs to lock on. Each time after that it's a warm start unless you move it hundreds of miles turned off and restart or you leave it off for weeks.

If your's is a cold start for whatever reason then just plonk it in the middle of the dash with the power on, not under trees or next to high buildings, and let it get on with it. After half an hour or so it should definetely have all it needs then you can try different mounting options.

Last edited by Chelspeed; 09 December 2006 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09 December 2006, 06:37 PM
redragon
Scooby Regular

never had a prob with mine on dash.... may take a min or 2 to lock on to gps sometimes tho but after that was ok
Old 09 December 2006, 09:54 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Location: It's not a Scoob, or even a Skoda, but 200bhp is on the horizon..

Had a Road Angel Compact on my Scoob for 6 months and TBH it did take 5 mins each day to lock on and lost the signal when going through tree lines roads.

I had mine mounted using the magnetic base positioned right above the clock which seemed to be the best area (tried by the OS A post, but even worse)!

However - when I P/X'd it for the larger Road Angel Plus (still mounted above the clock) it now only takes 20-30 seconds to lock on and give the display - much better and it doesn't lose the signal - even through the same tree lined roads.

I would try the external aerial if I were you and if that still doesn't work right, flog it on fleebay and use the money to get the larger Road Angel Plus which seems to work far, far better!
Old 10 December 2006, 07:46 AM
MSM
Scooby Regular

thanks guys, mine now seems to work ok next to the nearside a-post.