Is This A Big Problem On Subaru ?

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2006, 08:18 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Is This A Big Problem On Subaru ?

Just got my scooby uprated sports clutch fitted in but seem to have a lil bit of a problem...

I drove all da way down on 1st gear upto 6,000RPM with no problem all then way down on the 2nd gear upto 5,500RPM with no problem then on the 3rd gear as soon as i got to 60MPH my car started shakking/started to miss on acceleration & came back into gear ..

This is ment 2 happen after just fiting in a new clutch & not letting it run in properly ???

OR

is this a big problem that someone should tell me about ASAP ???
Old 07 December 2006, 08:22 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

i'm not an expert but would say thats bad!
Old 07 December 2006, 08:23 PM
Wildcat
Scooby Regular

Hi mate

I replaced the clutch in my95 last weekend and so far (fingers crossed) I've had no problems at all.

Hopefully some smart *** can help you out

W
Old 07 December 2006, 08:28 PM
555Rob555
Scooby Regular

I'm no smart *** but...................

Sounds like it's still slipping. Did you have the flywheel skimmed at the same time?
Was it a full clutch or just a plate?
Old 07 December 2006, 08:29 PM
Scooby Regular

sounds like a bad case of clutch judder.possibly badly aligned clutch.take it back to where you had it fitted and get them to test drive it.dont let them fob you off,if the car was alright before you had the clutch fitted then its something they have done.goodluck
Old 07 December 2006, 08:33 PM
AFRIKANZ
Scooby Regular

Sure it's not fuel cut?
Old 07 December 2006, 08:37 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 555Rob555
I'm no smart *** but...................

Sounds like it's still slipping. Did you have the flywheel skimmed at the same time?
Was it a full clutch or just a plate?
Well what happened was that my last clutch was sliping from first then i got a new fresh clutch & i got it fitted in, was told that the fly wheel is perfecly fine & does not need replacing nor changed !

Its only on 3rd gear it plays up.. He did say to me 2 run it in tho properly for 200miles before i start going mad on it.. Also he changed the fork he was sayin.. & the last fork was out of shape & needed changing thats the only thing hes changed from the lot !

Trending Topics

Old 07 December 2006, 08:48 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

naa, defo not a fuel cut !
Old 07 December 2006, 08:53 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

Did you have a full kit ( i.e pressure plate , clutch and bearing ) or just the plate ? Although the flywheel was said to be fine , it will have worn to the surface of the old clutch plate to a certain extent , so will take a good few hundred miles until the clutch has bedded into the flywheel correctly, then should be fine .
But saying that not heard of a shaking after a clutch change ? does it get worse with car speed or engine speed ? as could be prop balance problem if it's worse with car speed,seen it on a 4 trac after gearbox change , uv joint at rear of box put back a few spline's out did it .
Old 07 December 2006, 09:09 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scuba_doo
Did you have a full kit ( i.e pressure plate , clutch and bearing ) or just the plate ? Although the flywheel was said to be fine , it will have worn to the surface of the old clutch plate to a certain extent , so will take a good few hundred miles until the clutch has bedded into the flywheel correctly, then should be fine .
But saying that not heard of a shaking after a clutch change ? does it get worse with car speed or engine speed ? as could be prop balance problem if it's worse with car speed,seen it on a 4 trac after gearbox change , uv joint at rear of box put back a few spline's out did it .
I had a full kit ( the full works ) Maybe your right about the flywheel bit how it may need to wear in maybe..
The car gives a sudden pull back & lost of power & acceliration.. Its when im speeding up it happen suddenly. Now what this mean i have no idea !

By the wat wat do u mean by balance problem ?? explain more about it to me..
Old 07 December 2006, 09:21 PM
Torquesteer
Scooby Regular

Did they remove the engine with gearbox, or just the gearbox?
Old 07 December 2006, 09:30 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

Even a balance problem on the prop wont cause a loss of power only a vibration the faster the prop shaft spins . Did a 4track transfer box rebuild and when the box was going back in the prop uv that goes into the rear of the gearbox had slid out of the splines of the end of the prop , so when it was put back in it must of been out by about 6 to 7 splines from where it was before , so that then put the balance of the prop out , so when spining at high speed gave a vibration to the gearbox and rear end . Once back in original place was all ok again .
Old 07 December 2006, 09:34 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquesteer
Did they remove the engine with gearbox, or just the gearbox?
No, only the gearbox mate
Old 07 December 2006, 09:36 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

What happens in 5TH gear at 60mph , light throttle ?
Old 07 December 2006, 09:40 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

What happens in 5TH gear at 60mph , light throttle ?
Car's fine.. Totaly run's just the way it should do..
Old 08 December 2006, 11:26 AM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Old 08 December 2006, 07:52 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

When it happens does the rev counter go and and the speedo stay the same , if so clutch slipping so will need to take it easy until bedded in correctly .
If not , you said about a power loss and missfire so had a look at where the crank pickup is and it's on the front so that should'nt have been moved or hit.
Must admit it does sound like fuel cut , do you have a manual boost controller that may have been tampered with ? just a thought as it could happen . If not are all the pipes to wastegate and turbo pressure actuater all still in place .
When you took it back to the place that did the clutch did they go out in the car with you to see what it did and if so what did they say apart from it still needing to bed in ? .
Old 08 December 2006, 10:13 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up The Problem

When it happens does the rev counter go and and the speedo stay the same , if so clutch slipping so will need to take it easy until bedded in correctly .
If not , you said about a power loss and missfire so had a look at where the crank pickup is and it's on the front so that should'nt have been moved or hit.
Must admit it does sound like fuel cut , do you have a manual boost controller that may have been tampered with ? just a thought as it could happen . If not are all the pipes to wastegate and turbo pressure actuater all still in place .
When you took it back to the place that did the clutch did they go out in the car with you to see what it did and if so what did they say apart from it still needing to bed in ? .

Im not very sure about the speedo & the rev counter! i will take a look tom for another drive & see if the problem is still the same.
What is a crack & a wastegate? also i dont even know where to look (sory to sound stupid but im almsot new to impreza's & only know very little)!!

Nope, the garage person was very scared of me & didn't want to come with me for a testdrive & said it needed to be run it in !

What it is right.. My foot is completely off the clutch pedal & only on the acceleration pedal & out of nowhere you get this SHARP stop out of nowhere & back into acceleration again. It throw’s me back into my seat very hard & I bang my head into the seat & come back into the same position that I was in the first place before this happened !

This is the best way to describe the problem im having at the moment !
Old 08 December 2006, 10:59 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

sounds like fuel cut.
Old 08 December 2006, 11:01 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

It's not a crack it's the crank pickup , sensor that tells the engine ecu when to spark the coil to fire the spark plug . Wastegate is the valve disc in the turbo exhaust housing that opens to let the exhaust gas's bypass into the exhaust downpipe instead of going thru the turbo exhaust impeller and continuing to produce boost .
From what you say it's fuel cut due to boost pressure to high , do you have a turbo boost gauge in the car ? Boost cut normally occurs around the 18 psi mark ( anybody correct me if i'm wrong ) on a wrx uk 01 , as i had fuel cut a couple of times when setting up a manual boost controller on a wrx i had . Has the Orange engine light come on when this happened ?
Old 09 December 2006, 01:18 AM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

Agree, definitely sounds like fuel cut.

I had the same problem due to overboost after a remap. Back to the mapper and a little tinkering solved the problem.

What age/car you driving? I would avoid foot to the floor until it's sorted - certainly my mapper (won't mention a name, but very respected on here) - told me to take it easy until he could sort it out.
Old 09 December 2006, 05:37 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Question

Before I forget.. This problem started after I got my new clutch fitted ON!!
No I don’t have a boost gauge in my car, & I don’t know if I had a remap on it because I only got the car about 3weeks ago. Nope no engine light has come on when this has happened.

When you say a little tinkering solved the problem.. What did you do ??
Old 09 December 2006, 06:17 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Sounds like fuel cut, It likely some of the boost pipes and the intercooler were removed to gain access to the gear box. Put the car in 5th gear at 30/40 mph and plant the throttle, If its clutch slip the revs will quickly rise and the car will be slow to pick up speed.

I'd be checking the boost pipes are all ok and has the restrictor been put back in and if so is it in the right place?Also check all the intercooler hoses and clips are secure.
Old 09 December 2006, 09:31 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Nope, I tested it out on 5th gear at 30/40 mph and also planted the throttle & the clutch did not slip at all

I need to find someone who knows how to check the boost pipes & intercooler hoses are all on properly & as for the restrictor there was never one there when i got the car.

By the way do you know anyone subaru pro who would take a look at my car & try to sort the problem out maybe
Old 09 December 2006, 10:43 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

You didn't get an engine oil change or top up at the same time as the clutch change?
My STi V3 did this when I bought it as the garage overfilled the engine oil and they have a habit of the vapours contaminating the boost solenoid. I drained the excess oil and cleaned the boost solenoid and small bore pipes and it was fine. The sharp decellerataion was brutal - like hitting a brick wall.
Old 09 December 2006, 11:42 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kevin Groat
You didn't get an engine oil change or top up at the same time as the clutch change?
My STi V3 did this when I bought it as the garage overfilled the engine oil and they have a habit of the vapours contaminating the boost solenoid. I drained the excess oil and cleaned the boost solenoid and small bore pipes and it was fine. The sharp decellerataion was brutal - like hitting a brick wall.

Thats a bloody good Q !!!

Yes, i did get a engine oil change & a gear box done 2 as part of the deal when fiting on the new uprated sports clutch!
but as i did drive home (The sharp decellerataion was brutal - like hitting a brick wall) as you like 2 call it did take effect.. & it happened 4 times to me during the 16miles drive home from the garage.. When i got home i did have a look & i could smell the oil smell & when i had a looked under the bonnet, where you check the engin oil tip had been over flooded & had oil driping from the pit going down the side of the engin.

How & where abouts do i look for me 2 cleaned the boost solenoid ?
Old 09 December 2006, 11:56 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Boost solenoid is on the inner wing drivers side just in front of the strut.I'm sure if you do a search on the bulletin board you'll find a piccie. There's 2 small bore pipes from the solenoid that'll need a clean with something like brake cleaner. The oil level on the dipstick shouldn't be any more than halfway between the lo and hi level mark.
Old 10 December 2006, 10:11 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Hmm, ok then.. just did a search on this & didnt find anything on this topic..

You got any pic's or anything as this is a totaly a new topic matey ! sory i dont mean to sound stupid !!

Thanks for your time & help..
Old 11 December 2006, 08:17 AM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

I'll see if I can find a piccie - there's loads of info in the Technical section - the below is the same problem I had.

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...boost+solenoid

Quick google finds this

http://www.oakos.com/wrx/installs/OAMBC/IMG_1230.JPG

My Sti didn't have this plastic cover (maybe newage thing?) but this shows where the solenoid sits though.

Last edited by Kevin Groat; 11 December 2006 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11 December 2006, 04:37 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kevin Groat
I'll see if I can find a piccie - there's loads of info in the Technical section - the below is the same problem I had.

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...boost+solenoid

Quick google finds this

http://www.oakos.com/wrx/installs/OAMBC/IMG_1230.JPG

My Sti didn't have this plastic cover (maybe newage thing?) but this shows where the solenoid sits though.

Hmm.. just had a look at mine, i dont have that cover on mine too !

I'll get some pictures of car & we can take it from there ...

Quick Reply: Is This A Big Problem On Subaru ?