Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sign petition - say NO to more road tax!

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2006, 04:24 PM
Scoob999
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sign petition - say NO to more road tax!

Hi, sorry to hyjack your forum, ive not posted for a very long time, and hadnt posted much then, but I hope you will consider this subject to be a worthy cause!

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Scrap the planned vehicle tracking and road pricing policy.

Brilliant! Clare x x
Old 27 November 2006, 04:38 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2864 so far.

Does the government really take any notice of this sort of thing though?
Old 27 November 2006, 04:50 PM
Scoob999
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot
2864 so far.

Does the government really take any notice of this sort of thing though?

who knows, prob not, but if no one signs they def wont!
Old 27 November 2006, 04:58 PM
Ibiza_Cupra
Scooby Regular

link is not working
Old 27 November 2006, 05:51 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

I will never allow someone to track my car. I've a feeling that if it ever comes to it and the government try to track us all with GPS there will be a lot of people that simply refuse, as with the poll tax. In answer to the other question though, no, they couldn't care less about petitions like this. Still worth signing on anyway though.
Old 27 November 2006, 07:27 PM
Scoob999
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Ibiza_Cupra
link is not working

oh im very sorry, I shall make every attempt to sort it out but im only a humble nurse, not particularly computer able!

If i cant sort it, then use google to find the 10 downing street website and click on or do a search for, petitions, you will find the correct one, anti additonal road tax for using actual roads (silly us!) about half way down the first page!

please please please sign it! would be absolutely fantastic if we all got together to actually made a difference on this one!

c x x x
Old 27 November 2006, 07:33 PM
Scoob999
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by silent running
I will never allow someone to track my car. I've a feeling that if it ever comes to it and the government try to track us all with GPS there will be a lot of people that simply refuse, as with the poll tax. In answer to the other question though, no, they couldn't care less about petitions like this. Still worth signing on anyway though.

My feelings exactly. We should all start standing up right now and making it clear to the government that we wont be monitored and then charged in this way. Its a matter of freedom. As for them not caring less about petitions, your probably right, but for the sake of a couple of seconds taken to sign it, we might just be the first ones to be taken note of, assuming enough people sign up.

Please pass it on to everyone you know, this tax will effect all of us, and will hit our pockets deeply, as if road tax isnt high enough for pot holled roads that knock the alighnment out, as if petrol taxes arent high enough as it is? then theres the idea of taxing the cars with higher emmissions harder, thats not gonna hit the scoobs at all is it????????????? then they add this on top???? I run a very carbon friendly house but I refuse to give in to them over my car as well!

oh dear me, and breath! rant over chaps!
Old 27 November 2006, 08:47 PM
agent003
Scooby Regular

The government might as whell be pissing on the graves of all those that fought on the 2nd world war and for the ones that are still alive its only a disgracefull slow death and probably wished they had died in the war with some dignity left in them!

BR
Old 27 November 2006, 08:50 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I do few miles and all at quiet times ..... I'm all for tracking and taxing according to usage at busy times.

There will be winners and losers - I will be a distinct winner! So, sorry, cannot sign.

Good luck though!
Old 27 November 2006, 11:44 PM
BoroWRX
Scooby Regular

signed !
Old 27 November 2006, 11:44 PM
BoroWRX
Scooby Regular

signed !
Old 28 November 2006, 08:15 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Done!
Old 28 November 2006, 08:34 AM
Ibiza_Cupra
Scooby Regular

signed now !
Old 28 November 2006, 08:46 AM
Dannybwoy
Scooby Regular

So they want to charge us for using the road

What is road tax for then?

Government have screwed up the national budget so they start introducing stupid taxes for things they know people will have to pay for.

Nice one, good way to get themselves re elected, alienate most of the population of the country.

Signed

Last edited by Dannybwoy; 28 November 2006 at 08:48 AM.
Old 28 November 2006, 09:09 AM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I do few miles and all at quiet times ..... I'm all for tracking and taxing according to usage at busy times.

There will be winners and losers - I will be a distinct winner! So, sorry, cannot sign.

Good luck though!
You are missing a big point it is not just about money.
Old 28 November 2006, 09:20 AM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chippy17
You are missing a big point it is not just about money.

true, and if they get this through whats next. tax on pedal cycles, more tax on quiet roads? etc etc

I have learned to never trust the goverment who have all but eradicated my sport of trail riding on motorbikes. Thanks to them it is banned except for a few trails which are not worth riding anymore.
Old 28 November 2006, 03:48 PM
Scoob999
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by pslewis

Good luck though!

Everyone of course has the right not to sign, its a free country.

But will it stay that way with a tracking device on your car?

Its fine to say that if youve got nothing to hide you dont mind being monitored, which I go along with to a certain extent, but could this tracking device eventually be used to monitor driving activity and maybe result in increased random checks???

Currently the government hasnt said that people like district nurses and health visitors, who drive from home to home to visit our patients (Im a health visitor) will be not made to pay for miles done whilst working. Theres so many people who do vital jobs who will be hit hard - meals on wheels is a mainly volunteer ran service, and it will hit them hard, but they do so much more than deliver a meal, they provide company and have the opportunity to check up on our nations old folk on a regular basis, making sure there ok.

Then theres the small businesses that will be hit hard by the extra payments, possibly resulting in hardship for them, and maybe even job losses. Almost certainly increasing the charges to you when you need something delivered. I dont want to have to pay more for my pizza delivery!

Taxi fares will go up to cover it, it will be you on the way home from a night out that pays for it not the taxi driver, im sure.

Just a few thoughts! oh and if you dont sign, you miss out on the thrill of finding an e mail in your inbox from 10 downing street!

Keep up the good work!
Old 28 November 2006, 04:28 PM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

I find the very thought of someone watching my every move extremely disconcerting. Big brother/communism/stalin/facism call it what you will it is a slippery slope that this government is on...
Old 28 November 2006, 04:32 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Just a thought on this one so don't get all defensive. I am against being tracked in my car as I think it is taking the whole Big Brother thing much to far. However, we need to find a way to get better use out of our road network. Railways are very expensive to build and are not that popular. Buses are cheaper, but just as unpopular. We can't keep building roads indefinitely so what is the solution? It is no good just saying "I don't want to pay more tax". You have to come up with an alternative and I would suggest it is very difficult to find a better incentive to reduce congestion than hitting people in the pocket.
Old 28 November 2006, 07:57 PM
agent003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
Just a thought on this one so don't get all defensive. I am against being tracked in my car as I think it is taking the whole Big Brother thing much to far. However, we need to find a way to get better use out of our road network. Railways are very expensive to build and are not that popular. Buses are cheaper, but just as unpopular. We can't keep building roads indefinitely so what is the solution? It is no good just saying "I don't want to pay more tax". You have to come up with an alternative and I would suggest it is very difficult to find a better incentive to reduce congestion than hitting people in the pocket.
Hi,

Do you honestly believe that hitting people in the poquet will solve the problem with heavy trafic?

I dont think it will at all...and if it did, I dont think the government would introduce it

There are other things that can be done in order to improve but the government is just not to interested to invest for the long term there for taxing is just magic.

I think that for a start it would make good sense to look into people not starting or finishing work about the same times on a given area since this is what atributes to the most of the congestion problem.

BR
Old 28 November 2006, 08:46 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

I'm afraid it wouldn't work as people need to make themselves available during regular office hours. If we all worked at different times of the day then no one would know when to contact other people. The government also has very little control over this. Major changes to infrastructure and public transport won't happen because they have such a long lead in time that the current government will probably be out of power when they are completed and will therefore be unable to gain any political benefit from them.

To answer your question about whether financial incentives will work I would have to reply an emphatic YES. If it cost you 20 quid extra to drive to work at 7am rather than say 5am you would take one quick look at the numbers and then start resetting your alarm clock. Look how people have flocked to diesels because of the financial advantages.

Most of what this government does is utter cr@p. However, there is a pressing need to solve this problem and their proposed solution will work. It will unfortunately also be very unpopular. I am afraid that this is another one of those occasions where the free market fails to adequately charge people for the problems they cause and so government intervention is required to redress the balance. Road charging is coming, it is just a question of when.