Sponsored by:

ARDS

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2000, 12:30 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

One of the original requirements for taking out passengers at brands, which was subsequentley lifted, was that you had to be ARDS registered.

How many of you out there have an ARDS licence.

What exactly does it entitle you to do, more specifically, would there be any benefits to have an ARDS licence for track days?

How dificult are the theory and practicle tests (yeah, depends how crap a driver you are!)

Just wondering if it's worth doing?

Don't suppose insurers would give any kind of discounts for on road policys if you have ARDS?
Old 07 November 2000, 02:49 PM
dela
Scooby Regular

Markus,

The ARDS test is about half a day, costs £120-150 and really isn't that taxing.
The point of it is to demonstrate that you understand driving safely, So you have to brake progressively and corner smoothly.

The written part of the test is simple, you just have to know your flag signals.

What it really allows you to do is compete in competitive motorsport events, so if all you are going to do is track days it probably isn't worth it. You also have to renew annually, at a cost of £40+

Because of the relatively high class numbers and limited track time (I drove 4 laps of Goodwood) it can only be classed as an assessment, not a learning experience.

cheers,
Dave
Old 07 November 2000, 09:44 PM
RobMac
Scooby Regular

For your information gents...

You maybe getting a little mixed up when mentioning ARDS licences, basically because there are different versions of the licence.

What Brands were looking for was an INSTRUCTOR ARDS licence, of which there is only one member of the SIDC (AFAIK) who has got one, ME! This is a licence that allows me (and any other ARDS instructor that I employ on behalf of the club, eg. Kelly at Brands) to tell you lot how to drive on circuit AND be safe whilst doing it. It costs THOUSANDS of pounds if not MORE to get an instructor licence as you have to have competed at certain levels of UK motorsport to get one AND passed certain other qualifying criteria. ( I have a Grade 'A' licence if anyone wants to know...)

What you are talking about is an RAC National 'B' grade race licence. Basically, a competition licence; which would have meant you could go out on track without your UK (or wherever) DRIVING licence and been able to take passengers AFTER being 'signed off' by myself or Kelly.

For track days it offers no benefits whatsoever as, as dela says, it is merely a safety requirement to taking out a competition licence if you wish to start racing.

Old 08 November 2000, 09:45 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

RobMac,
Thanks for clearing that up. The info about ARDS at BH was, well, to me at least, a little unclear. I did then that if you had ARDS, ie; RAC National 'B' grade race licence then you could take out passengers. Obviously I got the wrong end of the stick.

Thanks for being at BH so that people could get qualified to take out passengers, this allowed me to have a few laps as a passenger in my friends RB5, which was a lot of fun.