Sponsored by:

clutch slipping????

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2006, 04:30 PM
nickmears
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch slipping????

hi, i sorted out a problem i had with the driveshaft on my 94 wrx, rear passenger side d'shaft was rubbing on the exhaust and had actually rubbed a hole in the top of the exhaust, , got another d'shaft fitted and the section of exhaust that was rubbing cut out and a flat piece welded on and that seemed to stop it, still get a clonk though every now and again if i reverse then go forward? and now, i think my clutch is slipping, went to pull away today and the revs go up but i got about as much power as a 1litre metro, same in second then third is not so bad fourth and fifth gears are fine! im pretty sure its the clutch slipping so i am going to get a new clutch. before i go and fork out150-250 quid for a new clutch woluld it definately be the clutch? this probably sounds pretty dumb but it wouldnt be anything to do with the diff rear maybe, only getting power to 2 wheels or something? any suggestion much appreciated.
Old 18 November 2006, 04:39 PM
Mangel
Scooby Regular

sounds like clutch!!
Old 18 November 2006, 04:47 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate I would have to disagree, clutches usually get worse in high gears, it sound like a diff/box type problem. The clutch can be ok in low gears but not in higher ones I have never heard it working the other way.
I would get it checked asap as a small fault could wreck your box or diff, as you are not getting the power delivered to where it should go.

Are you sure the driveshaft is fitted properly?
Old 18 November 2006, 05:06 PM
nickmears
Scooby Newbie

to be honest i havent actually tried flooring it in the higher gears but in the lower gears it just seems that you have no power there at all
Old 18 November 2006, 05:22 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nickmears
to be honest i havent actually tried flooring it in the higher gears but in the lower gears it just seems that you have no power there at all
had a similar thing happen to me in my old wrx. revved like **** sometimes in lower gears especially when hot in 1st and 3rd especially. was the clutch i think as gears 4 and 5 were usually ok. but engine started to knock and flogged it on the cheap so dunno how its faring now.

andy
Old 18 November 2006, 07:33 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like clutch...have the same problem with mine at the moment, put your foot down revs fly high but nothing happens, plus the clutch is too heavy and bites too high, had it checked at the local performance centre and they diagnosed it instanatly as a clutch prob...just ordered a new excedy organic uprated from asp...great price too £335 incl delivery.
Old 18 November 2006, 08:48 PM
Sonic Blue Type R
Scooby Regular

Does sound like a clutch problem, but I would be more inclined to agree with wheelshop.

I have had about 3 clutches in my car and everytime I 1st notice it, when am in 5th (top gear) at full boost, then it progresses, starts to slip in 4th and so on.

You will probably have to spend around £250 - £350 on a clutch, might be a good idea to replace the flywheel also, or get the std one skimmed.

Trending Topics

Old 18 November 2006, 11:42 PM
green un
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic Blue Type R

I have had about 3 clutches in my car and everytime I 1st notice it, when am in 5th (top gear) at full boost, then it progresses, starts to slip in 4th and so on.
exact same with mine always seemed to slip in high gears then work its way down.
Old 18 November 2006, 11:51 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

remember to ask them to fit the balance marks correctly or it will judder
Old 19 November 2006, 11:55 AM
nickmears
Scooby Newbie

i am now getting a clunk when i turn left slowley, is that something to do with the diff?
Old 19 November 2006, 11:59 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CV joint? ^

Originally Posted by nickmears
i am now getting a clunk when i turn left slowley, is that something to do with the diff?
i have a clunking noise on mine. a couple of months ago i had a new clutch fitted as it was like driving an automatic, no guts. everything fine until a while ago i was having difficuty changing gear, ordered a new clutch cable and found that mine had come so loose i could have goe skipping with it. i still have a clunk when i pull away or go up or down low gears, i can feel it under my feet, still dont know what it is