Sponsored by:

Okay, one for the tech heads..

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2006, 12:05 PM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay, one for the tech heads..

Recently had a dump valve fitted (duck) but thats not really the tread I want to start. Thank god they say !! Since the dump valve I can now tell when the turbo is boosting and not and i've come across a few perculiarities;

1) When I creep up the revs in first gear and go past 3 thousand revs, it doesn't make a sound. Does this mean that the turbo is not spinning because i thought it did all the time, or is the ECU not letting it boost because I haven't got the loud pedal down far enough.

2) When traveling at 70mph, and i again creep past the 3000 mark, again no boost.

it seems to me that the ECU is not letting the car boost because I haven't got my foot down enough. Or, because i'm creeping up the revs, is there not enough boost being created?
it begs the question, is the amount the turbo boosts related to how far you have the pedal down? I thought, that the turbo spins due to the exhaust gas been thrown out, if true then shouldn't the turbo boost at any point the accelerator is down.
Old 18 November 2006, 12:33 PM
agent003
Scooby Regular

I cant really help you on this one m8 but i think this is more suited for general techical section

BR
Old 18 November 2006, 12:40 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

if it gave full boost on light throttle at 3k and above it would be impossible to drive.r
Old 18 November 2006, 12:42 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Your car is not doing anything wrong, its designed that way as if you have light throttle application you do not require boost and therefore any generated will be wasted, this is controlled through various sensors which detect engine load,rpm,throttle position,engine temp,air intake temp, and fuel pressure etc. This is what determines boost levels and is controlled through the ecu, if you mess about with these setting without knowing what you are doing it can be dangerous for your engine and wallet

Hope this helps, someone more technical will give you more info if you need it.

ps I have avoided the "dump valve" criticism.
Old 18 November 2006, 01:07 PM
ultraviolate
Scooby Regular

My car does exactly the same thing mate so I suppose you havent got a problem unless we both have!
Old 20 November 2006, 05:16 PM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys !

I don't have a problem with it, just generally interested in how this 'witchcraft' in the form of a turbo charger, works.

Andy
Old 20 November 2006, 05:23 PM
fwdnutz
Scooby Regular

Location: 24hr endurance driving tracks by day, Trucks by night!!!

fit a boost gauge m8 then you will be able to see whena nd where boost is starts and to what it maxes out at!