safety cameras

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2006, 11:10 AM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default safety cameras

guys do these things work at night ?

i often see one on the way to work in the morning but never on my return journey in the dark !
Old 18 November 2006, 01:52 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Static cameras are operational 24/7, as long as a camera is installed and it has film. Vans only work dawn to dusk, although Cumbria (& somewhere else ) have been trialling cameras that work in the dark
Old 18 November 2006, 01:56 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Are speed cameras still film? I just assumed they would be digital by now.

If they are does anyone know how they are downloaded?

Not asking for any illegal reason just wondering if they are digital and fully automatic download to a central system somewhere.
Old 18 November 2006, 02:00 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The new Mini-Gatso's and Spec's I believe are digital with remote downloading. AFAIK the older Gatso's and Truvello's still use film and have to be manually loaded and processed.
Old 18 November 2006, 02:01 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
the older Gatso's and Truvello's still use film and have to be manually loaded and processed.
yippee !
Old 18 November 2006, 02:07 PM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Static cameras are operational 24/7, as long as a camera is installed and it has film. Vans only work dawn to dusk, although Cumbria (& somewhere else ) have been trialling cameras that work in the dark
Thanks,
I was just wondering as I never see it at night ! Did a bit of silly thing friday night never mind
Old 18 November 2006, 02:42 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Camera vans don't work in the rain either as the raindrops refract the laser (infra-red actually) light. So much for safety.

Trending Topics

Old 18 November 2006, 03:09 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

I saw a mobile speed camera last night at around 5.30pm and it was pitch black. Had one of them vans behind it.
Old 18 November 2006, 05:01 PM
jamesbWRXRA
Scooby Regular

Location: Still loving the Subaru but now in an Evo 8 MR FQ320

I was under the impression the vans cameras didn't work in the dark but my sister normally passes a van on the way home from work in the dark. Hopefully someone can clear this up once and for all.

James
Old 18 November 2006, 05:13 PM
whitepilgrim
Scooby Regular

Ive seen still photos taken from a video that was operating at night, couldnt say if it was legal or not
Dont cop cars operate video at night
Old 18 November 2006, 07:04 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

As I understand they use a invertor to convert video from black to white, so that registrations can be read. I am not sure that this has been type approved by government, but when did that stop the scammers topping up their pension contributions

Andy
Old 18 November 2006, 07:57 PM
wakko
Scooby Regular

I'm sure a laser gun would have no problem in obtaining your speed even in the dark as its works by receiving pulses of light produced by an infra-red laser diode reflected from very highly reflective surfaces on your car such as the number plate. So getting the speed isn't a problem in the dark

What i think is probably the limiting factor is the digital camera equipment used to photograph the front of the car. It would require good enough illumination to ensure a usable picture on the recording equipment. Not much use getting a speed reading if you can't photogrpah the offending car. Although some digital cameras are very sensitive to light now so working in low lighting (such as street lighting) wouldn't be an isssue.

wakko
Old 18 November 2006, 08:28 PM
scooter(WRX03 PPP)
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wakko
I'm sure a laser gun would have no problem in obtaining your speed even in the dark as its works by receiving pulses of light produced by an infra-red laser diode reflected from very highly reflective surfaces on your car such as the number plate. So getting the speed isn't a problem in the dark

What i think is probably the limiting factor is the digital camera equipment used to photograph the front of the car. It would require good enough illumination to ensure a usable picture on the recording equipment. Not much use getting a speed reading if you can't photogrpah the offending car. Although some digital cameras are very sensitive to light now so working in low lighting (such as street lighting) wouldn't be an isssue.

wakko
Is there a legal requirement for strong lights to illuminate the number plates or can I install a very low light bulb?
Old 18 November 2006, 08:33 PM
wakko
Scooby Regular

Good question. I'm not sure if there is a minimum wattage limit on the bulb for the number plate. I reckon that as long as the police can read it at night you'll get away with it.
Old 18 November 2006, 09:07 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wakko
I'm not sure if there is a minimum wattage limit on the bulb for the number plate. I reckon that as long as the police can read it at night you'll get away with it.
CLICKY
  • 1. Number:
Such that the lamp or lamps are capable of adequately illuminating the rear registration plate
  • 2. Position:
Such that the lamp or lamps are capable of adequately illuminating the rear registration plate
  • 3. Angles of visibility:
  • 4. Alignment:
  • 5. Markings-
    (a) A motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1986 and a trailer manufactured on or after 1st October 1985:
An approval mark
(b) A motor vehicle first used before 1st April 1986 and a trailer manufactured before 1st October 1985:
No requirement
  • 6. Size of illuminated area:
No requirement
  • 7. Colour:
White
  • 8. Wattage:
No requirement
  • 9. Intensity:
No requirement
  • 10. Electrical connections:
No individual requirement
  • 11. Tell-tale: