Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starting problem ! please help...

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2006, 08:02 AM
Danny2000Turbo(98)
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy starting problem ! please help...

had my my98 turbo2000 for a month now. was startinf fine , but now it has developed and internittent problem that seems to be getting worse.

normally fires up straight away , but recently ive been having to holdthe ignition for 5-6 second before it will start , or also it just turns over but wont start on the first attempt ........

battery was new in may06 , and car recently had 75000 mile service done at simpsons subaru in swindon ...

from looking on here it seems it could be a few things -

dodgy battery ( i dont think this is the case as turns over fine and wants to start )

short somewhere

alternator

spark plugs

coil pack

fuel related ?? ( previous owner used normal unleaded i believe , but car has been run for the last month on Esso Super....

other electrical

... i need to get this fixed asap.... dont want the problem to get any worse!

any experienced similar symptoms - when car is started im not getting any CEL light so engine/sensors ok

PLEASE HELP !
Old 18 November 2006, 09:32 AM
ticky
Scooby Senior

I did have similar problems way back turned out to be a faulty cam sensor. At the time I had no engine check light.

Try swapping over a borrowed cam sensor from a friend local to you just to check it out.

The other thing you could do is to remove a coil pack & connect a spare spark plug, resting the tip on a earth point (engine block etc) turn the ign & see if your getting a spark.

Then check your fuel side of things.

Ticky
Old 18 November 2006, 09:36 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I assume you ARE folowing the correct starting procedure, as in the manual? Sorry if this is obvious to you, but it wasn't to me..........

When starting the car, and especially when it's warm, or nearly warm, do NOT touch the throttle at all until it has fired. Even an accidental blip before turning the key can cause flooding, the remedy for which is as you describe.

Alcazar
Old 18 November 2006, 09:41 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Could it be a small airleak? as the colder denser air in the winter requires more fuel (like a choke) and the cold start device may not be able to richen the mixture enough to get it started.
This only really applies if you are talking about starting from cold. If the car starts fine all the rest of the time it might be worth looking for an airleak.

ps Does the car run well the rest of the time or have you lost a little power/increased fuel consumption ? These can also indicate a leak.
If this is the case get it checked before any real hard driving as a weak mixture is dangerous on turbo cars.
Old 18 November 2006, 09:43 AM
Danny2000Turbo(98)
Scooby Regular

how much will a new CAM sensor be ? - i havent had my scooby long so dont know anyone locally to borrow one ..... havent got a manual ! i must admit the first time it happened i gave it a bit of gas to see if that helped ! wrong move i guess .... dont have a manual unfortunately , didnt come with car , just service book. seems to only occur in about 1 in 10/15 starts but is getting more frequent???
Old 18 November 2006, 09:44 AM
Danny2000Turbo(98)
Scooby Regular

WHEELSHOP - happens most often when cold , although happened last night bout 50 minutes after getting home so i imagine still fairly warm ? .......

anyone recommend someone trustworthy i can get to check this out in wilts hants area ????
Old 18 November 2006, 09:45 AM
Danny2000Turbo(98)
Scooby Regular

runs fine when started!