Sponsored by:

WRX seats

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2001, 08:35 PM
tyre monkey
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

This may be a real dosy **** question, but before ordering my new WRX MY02, what are the differences between the seats?

The demonstrator I tried had what the dealer described as normal seats, but he said they were fine and not to order the sports seats as they were not necessary, dont know if he was just trying to sell me the demonstrator, but brochure he gave me is not too helpful. I have looked at importing as well so may not see the seats again before car is ordered, anyone help me??

[Edited by tyre monkey - 11/24/2001 8:36:04 PM]
Old 24 November 2001, 08:56 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

IHMO (only )

Do not go for the standard sports seats. Yes, you do get the side airbags, but you will slip around if you corner hard. Pete Croney and Dave T-S had these, but have replaced them with Sparco Racing seats. The downside that are reported for the bucket seats are the lack of side airbags (but you are better supported and hence won't fall into them as much) and the fact that the buckets are narrow (i'm 6'4" and 18 stone (to many pies ) and find them very good).

Finally, you will get charged less for the buckets. Try a "classic" shape Impreza, the buckets in the MY01 are very similar (if not the same).

Duncan
Old 24 November 2001, 09:07 PM
blaster
Scooby Regular

Smile

got my MY02 last week with bucket seats ... at first I found that they were pretty tight but since have got used to them ..... as for the standard seats, they are no way as nice as the buckets even though you will be losing out on the side airbags ...... verdict --- go for the bucket seats !!!!!!!!
Old 24 November 2001, 09:28 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Got to be buckets - who wants airbags?

Should make the car easier to sell too IMHO
Old 24 November 2001, 09:39 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Buckets! No question
Old 24 November 2001, 10:10 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

I've got the "none" bucket seats and besides no lumbar support (but then again, neither have the bucket seats), I find them more comfortable than the buckets in the MY99 that I had. Can't say that I find myself sliding around that much and can't see you could drive one much harder than I do. Each to their own.

Enjoy.
Old 24 November 2001, 10:22 PM
Steve Breen
Scooby Regular

I've heard that the MY2002 will not be available with the side air bag? Anyone else confirm.

Also I have heard (same source) that there are exceptional deals to be had exisitng airbag seat MY2001. It sounds like the dealer was trying to offload exisiting stock. If you go with it beat him down on the deal.

A picture of the two seats side by side...

I didn't find the "sports" seats (with air bag) that bad but I wasn't test driving the car around a race track at the time! As for Pete C. changing his seats, I've been in his MY99 as a passenger around Donington and the buckets seats were no real support either

Steve
Old 24 November 2001, 10:55 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Cool

I was able to test drive both sets of seats as the dealer had 2 demo cars with the different seats in each.

I didnt take them on a track,but still managed to do some serious corner work at high speeds and found the std sports seats with the side airbags to be excellent,they held me securely and yet were comfy.
I didnt have any "sliding" out of the seats on corners like I do in my present car(got leather seats-very slippery) but did notice the sales guy had white knuckles as he clung onto his seat, so maybe he had trouble, or could it be that my driving was...eerr a little bit too fast for him ?
I found the buckets too firm for an every day car, fine for a short trip but no good for a long journey..
I'm also prone to a bit of lower back ache from time to time, after 30mins in the buckets I'd had enough, but after 2hours in the sports seats I was fine.

So I ordered mine with the sports seats & extra airbags.

BOB

To clarify-
The standard seats are called the "Sports Seats"
The buckets are called the "Bucket Seats" suprise suprise!
Its just that some people are calling the buckets "Sports Seats" which may confuse a few people...

[Edited by WRXBOB - 11/24/2001 11:02:41 PM]
Old 24 November 2001, 11:24 PM
blaster
Scooby Regular

Smile

The Summary :-
Do not get a bucket seat if you -
- have a bad back
- do long journeys
- are fat
But do if you -
- want a nicer looking seat
- want to sell your car easier
- want to be kept in when going sharp round corners
- are not old and have a bad back

The End
Old 25 November 2001, 12:21 AM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Wink

Blaster,

Sorry that I'm not a 20yr old muppet who goes posing in a second hand scoob and who's mummy hasnt given them enough pocket money to buy more petrol.
I prefer to actually drive the cars I own, thats what they are made for, so I find I spend a lot of time in the drivers seat and do around 50k per year. Because of this, I like a seat that has at least some amount of comfort. If I was to go racing every weekend, then I'd buy a second car WITH the bucket seats fitted.
I'm 35,so if you think thats old, then you think its old, so what?
I'm NOT a big fat tub'o'lard that cant fit the buckets.
Personal taste is just that,personal! I personally prefer the Sports seats, as does my 27 yr old business partner, as do a lot of people.
When it comes to selling the car, I dont give a ****! I'm not trying to sell it..
And I like the idea of the extra safety of the side air bags-not that I intend to find out if they work!

Can I ask you, Have you tried out BOTH sets of seats, that is, have you actually driven the MY01/02's with each option, and not just for a 5 minute jaunt ???
Unless you have done so then you are not qualified to compare both seats, just comment on YOUR opinion of the type of seat you HAVE tried.

And the back ache goes back to when I used to do banger racing a few years back & a muppet caused a major accident. Dont have much problem - unless I drive with Bucket Seats!

BOB
Old 25 November 2001, 12:25 AM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Wink

Did I mention I prefer the std Sport Seats ?

BOB
Old 25 November 2001, 12:30 AM
blaster
Scooby Regular

WRXBOB,
The "summary" I posted was not intended to insult you but purely a round-up of the messages relating to the thread. All views submitted on this bulletin board are not "official" and are therefore based on the person's views. If I wanted to be a critic on sports seats, I would've applied for a job in the automotive industry ...
Cheers
Old 25 November 2001, 12:31 AM
roadtrip
Scooby Regular

Smile

This is so simple to sort out

if u wanna do lotsa track dayz go 4 the bucket

if u wanna car for everyday use go for the sport seat

its as simple as that cos they r both good looking seats
u payz ya money ya makes ya choice

RT

BOB i agree wiv u m8
Old 25 November 2001, 12:34 AM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Wink

BLASTER

No offence taken, did you not notice the smiley face at the top?

Got to try and get my number of posts up some how!

Hope I didnt offend you?

BOB
Old 25 November 2001, 12:35 AM
blaster
Scooby Regular

WRXBOB,
Keep your hair on ... and don't get your knickers in a twist !!.
FYI, I have tried both the standard and bucket seats ... and, I do not have a second hand WRX ... ok Mr Businessman ?
Old 25 November 2001, 01:08 AM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hold on there......calm down....

are we getting things mixed up here or what?

1st, I'd love to keep my hair on, but as I'm a coffin dodger it's going faster than an STi !
2nd, the ex wife kept all her knickers as part of the divorce
settlement so I cant get them in a twist !
3rd, I never said you owned a 2nd hand scoob !
4th, I wouldnt call my self a business man.I'm a man,& I own a business, but thats as far as it goes.I spend most of my working day watching sky sports or playing on the PlayStation2, its great being the boss! and my workers get the same treatment!
75% of my mileage is private use.

None of my posts were ment to be offensive, maybe I've worded things badly...

BOB

Well thats another post to add to my tally!
Old 25 November 2001, 01:11 AM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Wink

I forgot to mention, I prefer the Sports Seats !

BOB

and another post...
Old 25 November 2001, 01:18 AM
tyre monkey
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Thankyou for all the replies, especially the picture, simple lad , If a picture paints a thousand words etc etc...

Looking at the picture, think that the regular family missions from Manc land to Scotland, would be comfier in Standard seats perhaps, have had Recaros before and liked them a lot.

[Edited by tyre monkey - 11/25/2001 1:23:23 AM]

[Edited by tyre monkey - 11/25/2001 1:23:59 AM]
Old 25 November 2001, 01:27 AM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Cool

tm

Good choice m8, I do the trip up the M6/M74 to the bonny land fairly regular(got family up there) and comfy seats is a must have option.
I'm sure you wont be dissapointed...

BOB

another post notched up...
Old 25 November 2001, 01:31 AM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Talking

HEY its worked!

All this extra posting has changed me from a "newbie" to a "regular"

Thanx Blaster, I couldnt have done it without you!

BOB

And I still prefer the Sports Seats!
Old 25 November 2001, 10:15 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Think I'll just chip in here again.

I was not originally happy that mine came with the "sports seats". Mostly because the "buckets" are more.... how can I put it... Scobbyish. Having done 16k in the new car now, I can confirm that they are more comfortable on a long run (regardless of age, or waist size!), than the "buckets" in my MY99.

As to dramatically effecting the PX value of the car, doubt it somehow. I expect the usual things like... miles on the clock, will be the biggest hit. Anyway, garages always find some way to talk the PX on the pride and joy down!

Slightly off thread, I am certainly looking forward to seeing an independant test of the UK WRX sti... Though ceratinly wont jump too quick this timne, when it comes to changing motor next year.

Have fun folks, because I do............
Old 26 November 2001, 12:59 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

Get a wagon and have no option!
Old 26 November 2001, 01:59 PM
BobaFett
Scooby Regular

I have the standard sports seats, it's funny as i saw the bucket seats on friday when i was waiting for the PPP to be done, I thought they looked quite nice, but i quite glad to hear they are not suitable for people with bad backs, I am 29, not in the least bit fat, but i do have back issues, thanks to an accident at work some 3 years ago. I find the sports seats really comfortable, and my mate has an integra with buckets and they are damn uncomfortable. I will admit that the buckets look better, but who cares anyway, i like my seats, they suit me and my purpose.

just my thoughts
Old 26 November 2001, 11:23 PM
blaster
Scooby Regular

well ... different people have different tastes ... let's just conclude at that 'eh ?