Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2006, 10:58 AM
silverscoobydan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When does the boost kick in...

Hello All,

Just a quick question....

When does the turbo kick in on a standard my05 wrx?

The reason.......

My journey to work has changed from a 18 mile round trip to a 76 mile round trip. Therefore if I can rumble up the motorway off boost my fuel economy should improve.

The best I have done is 370 miles to the tank but I am averaging about 310 miles to the tank. Is that about right?

Cheers.
Old 14 November 2006, 12:50 PM
Aquanaut
Scooby Regular

looks like you are doing well on the mpg.

Boost comes in at 3000 rpm so dribble along at ~70 with a constant throttle.

I've never managed to be good for a whole tankful
Old 14 November 2006, 12:59 PM
daz-c
Scooby Regular

it's like trying to eat a friut pastel without chewing
Old 14 November 2006, 01:20 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

get a boost gauge
Old 14 November 2006, 01:53 PM
silverscoobydan
Scooby Regular

thanks all,
It's killing me driving like this but at least I can keep the Scooby rather than chop it in for a diesel!!!!!!
Still use v-power even though it is expensive, but a friend told me the mpg should be better with v-power.

Still drive it like it should be driven at weekends!!!!!!!
Old 14 November 2006, 01:57 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

370 miles..? 310 miles..???

Blimey, I'm lucky to ever see 250 miles out of a tank in my '03 WRX..!!

Well done..!!
Old 14 November 2006, 02:14 PM
silverscoobydan
Scooby Regular

Is sounds so sad but I was trying to see how far I could get on one tank. Now I know the maximum I can judge how quickly (efficiently) I have been driving.
I cannot help myself at times, the right foot just has to hit the carpet.

V8VOODOO - I mainly do motorway miles so not that hard (but boring as hell going everywhere at 65mph). Maybe you should weigh your right foot. I bet it's heavier that your left Hee Hee.

Trending Topics

Old 14 November 2006, 02:45 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Dan,

I blame my heavy pair of CAT boots..lol!!!

Nige.
Old 14 November 2006, 03:58 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Quick set of numbers for you.

310 Miles per tank, 76 miles per day, cost of V-Power approx 0.92p per litre.

2.23 gallons used per day on average = 10.16 litres. Cost of £9.30 per day approx.

200 working days per year on average = £1,864 on petrol

Mileage (just for work) = 15,200.

On top of this you have tyre wear, service costs and depreciation due to mileage,as well as general wear and tear. Let average that at 10p per mile. which adds £1,520 per year running costs.

Total costs of uing your scoob to commute (not including depreciation) = £3,384

Now, given the miles you do - I would say it worth picking up a diesel *something* for around £1000 - something you don't give a monkeys about and will return 50 odd mpg.

Running costs are reduced since you won't care - I.e one service a year to keep it running (saving around £700 per year on running costs). Fuel costs are reduced to around £6.50 per day (equal to around £500 per year) and you won't be sticking lots of miles on the scoob reducing its value and wearing things out.

I reckon the commuting car would pay for itself along with insurance/tax within a year, and you would effectively be saving money after that point.

Plus it means you can drive to scooby as it was meant to be at weekends

Might be worth thinking about.
Old 14 November 2006, 04:26 PM
JAYSY
Scooby Newbie

Well that pisses on my fire !!!

Been playing with the idea for a few weeks of getting an 05 STI since i found out my daily commute will be more than halved !!!!

Was doing 160 daily round trip , but with new job in the new year this will go down to a 70 mile daily round trip....

Saw a discusting yet good con white diesel astra van for 550 quid on autotrader surely that can return some sweet MPG - rocking all the way there on some hot 7"s...

Is it worth it just to fly at the weekend ?? think i will be too depressed...

what would you drive on this many miles??
Old 14 November 2006, 04:51 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

It depends on your circumstances I suppose. If you are comfortable with the cost implications, then you can drive what you like

Personally I would have the 05STI as my "toy" and a sh*teheap as my commuter, if I was going anything over 70 miles per day - possibly less.

Of course the other benefit to weekend scoob driving is insurance reductions - you could quote a maximum of 5,000 miles per year on the scoob, and still commute to work on the odd day in it.

There's a few people here that do it - One has a renault megane as his commuter and a lotus elan as his toy. Another has a Daewoo and a Jag S-Type R.

They are both less than 30 mile round trips!
Old 14 November 2006, 06:24 PM
jimmy boo
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silverscoobydan
Hello All,

The best I have done is 370 miles to the tank but I am averaging about 310 miles to the tank. Is that about right?
**** me....doing well to get 260 max from a tankfull (MY03STi)

Aah...**** it...who cares
Old 14 November 2006, 08:22 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From a full tank I managed to get 350miles: 200miles motorway driving and 150miles town driving....of course I was driving off boost most of the time.
Old 15 November 2006, 09:45 AM
JAYSY
Scooby Newbie

Financially it makes sence to do that... as above guy... i own a megane at the mo ... been wanting a scoob though for ages and only just getting myself in a position to do so...

Have 9 years NCD, 27 y/o, 70mile round daily trip and 14k-15k top limit to my budget, would like to spend a little less so could maybe pay insurance off for the first year and maybe some simple mods... but nothing major.
Would be buying in jan07 when new job starts ....

But the 1st problem i have is parking - i live in a terraced street and we are a two car family. Its difficult to park them as it is before adding a 3rd car...!!

Then secondly there is leaving what would be my sparkling scoob in the street all week !!!!! I take it those guys with two cars have garages or off street secure-ish parking...

Already have heard car alarms going off outside with people bumping cars into tight spaces... and the kids in the street play ball alot too

I could leave it at my mums i suppose would be safer there as its a nicer area although 03STI guy accross the street had his house burgled not too long ago for his keys but they couldnt find them..

Need to give this one some thought...... with running costs - even on boost !! ha ha

cheers guys....
Old 15 November 2006, 10:19 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JAYSY
Financially it makes sence to do that... as above guy... i own a megane at the mo ... been wanting a scoob though for ages and only just getting myself in a position to do so...

Have 9 years NCD, 27 y/o, 70mile round daily trip and 14k-15k top limit to my budget, would like to spend a little less so could maybe pay insurance off for the first year and maybe some simple mods... but nothing major.

But the 1st problem i have is parking - i live in a terraced street and we are a two car family. Its difficult to park them as it is before adding a 3rd car...!!

Then secondly there is leaving what would be my sparkling scoob in the street all week !!!!! I take it those guys with two cars have garages or off street secure-ish parking...

Already have heard car alarms going off outside with people bumping cars into tight spaces... and the kids in the street play ball alot too

I could leave it at my mums i suppose would be safer there as its a nicer area although 03STI guy accross the street had his house burgled not too long ago for his keys but they couldnt find them..

Need to give this one some thought...... with running costs - even on boost !! ha ha

cheers guys....
The guy witht he Jag has a garage, but the guy with the Elan leaves it in his Nan's driveway with a cover over it.
Old 15 November 2006, 10:24 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daz-c

it's like trying to eat a friut pastel without chewing
Lol nice comment. I have to agree!
Old 15 November 2006, 10:26 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JAYSY

cheers guys....

Leave enough in your budget to buy a air rifle!
Old 15 November 2006, 10:33 AM
silverscoobydan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Quick set of numbers for you.

310 Miles per tank, 76 miles per day, cost of V-Power approx 0.92p per litre.

2.23 gallons used per day on average = 10.16 litres. Cost of £9.30 per day approx.

200 working days per year on average = £1,864 on petrol

Mileage (just for work) = 15,200.

On top of this you have tyre wear, service costs and depreciation due to mileage,as well as general wear and tear. Let average that at 10p per mile. which adds £1,520 per year running costs.

Total costs of uing your scoob to commute (not including depreciation) = £3,384

Now, given the miles you do - I would say it worth picking up a diesel *something* for around £1000 - something you don't give a monkeys about and will return 50 odd mpg.

Running costs are reduced since you won't care - I.e one service a year to keep it running (saving around £700 per year on running costs). Fuel costs are reduced to around £6.50 per day (equal to around £500 per year) and you won't be sticking lots of miles on the scoob reducing its value and wearing things out.

I reckon the commuting car would pay for itself along with insurance/tax within a year, and you would effectively be saving money after that point.

Plus it means you can drive to scooby as it was meant to be at weekends

Might be worth thinking about.
OMG when you see it like that in raw figures it does make you think.....

The problem is I don't do a great deal of mileage at weekends (use the wifes car as it is easier with my little girl, who will be 2 tomorrow!!!). So if I want to continue owning a Scoob I will just have to bite the bullet and pay up!!!

My mileage was very low at the start (8000 miles in 2 years) so I am just catching up to the average. Probably sell the car when it gets back to average miles.

Some of the modern diesels are appealing (BMW 330d, Audi 2.5tdi for example) but its just not a scoob if you know what I mean.

God I hope my wife doesn't see this thread and realise exactly how much the scoob is costing us LOL.

Thanks for your help.