Sponsored by:

Parking At Supermarkets.

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2006, 06:23 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking At Supermarkets.

There was a somewhat heated discussion in another thread about this issue. Is it acceptable to park in disabled/parent&child spaces if you aren't disabled or with children?
Old 13 November 2006, 06:25 PM
NorthDave
Scooby Regular

What do you think?
Old 13 November 2006, 06:26 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I take my mother with me shopping... parent and child
Old 13 November 2006, 06:30 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

No, I think it is not right as those spaces are designated for specific persons. However I may have been less objective if I had incurred any dings on my car due to parking in the alloted areas.
Old 13 November 2006, 06:32 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I generally avoid supermarkets anyway, as Pauline Collins once said 'shopping is like sex, a lot of huffing and puffing without much to show for it in the end'.
Old 13 November 2006, 06:33 PM
JonesyWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Parent & child places are probably the most sought after parking places for people who like their cars & fair game imho.

Just take a look at your local tesco/sainsbury etc., no way are all those bm's, mercs, scoobs, boxsters etc. packing ankle biters.

Wouldn't park in a disabled spot though.
Old 13 November 2006, 06:37 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If there is no attendant I park on the white line when I take the scoob

Trending Topics

Old 13 November 2006, 06:38 PM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

Ive got two kids and if i cant get a space i park as far away from the shop as i can there's less cars and less chance of coming out there with a new mod. So no its not right.
Old 13 November 2006, 06:39 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

I wont park in the disabled/parent&child spaces but I do park across two spaces due to the door dingers Never park next to people carriers and 4x4 vehicles as these people never seem to worry about throwing the doors open. I usually park right out of the way as far as i can from the shop entrance as most people seem to lazy to walk unless they are less than 20m away.
Old 13 November 2006, 06:43 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't bat an eyelid at parking in parent/child places but never use disabled
Old 13 November 2006, 06:46 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Snap - although generally i'll park as far away as possible and walk. Dizy bints generally don't venture out to the far corners of the car park.
Old 13 November 2006, 06:47 PM
onslow
Scooby Regular

i always park half way up the car park across the white line in a section that is three space wide
wouldnt park in a disabled space tho
Old 13 November 2006, 06:56 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Any non disabled person who knowingly uses a marked disabled bay deserves to have a nasty accident on the way home.
Then they can use a disabled bay, if they can find an empty one!
Old 13 November 2006, 06:56 PM
Martin WRX22
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
There was a somewhat heated discussion in another thread about this issue. Is it acceptable to park in disabled/parent&child spaces if you aren't disabled or with children?
I`ll park in Both. FACT.

If they`re full I`ll park out of the way & walk.
Old 13 November 2006, 07:00 PM
scoobychick555
Scooby Regular

i dont park in either
i think the folk that do have a total disregard for other people and have no respect for those less fortunate than them.

i do however park as far away from the main entrance and take up 2 spaces.
Old 13 November 2006, 07:05 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

they just bring in clamping or fines for parking in designated places in car parks!! that would stop everyone or would you just all complain about paying fines???? I cant stand lazyness and a lack of respect for other people.
Old 13 November 2006, 07:11 PM
miltski
Scooby Regular

i get the hump if i hav to park in a tight "normal" spot and try to get my three kids out of the car(one in a baby seat) if i see some fiesta or saxo with one person in a parent and child, as i have to open the doors right out to get the kids out especially the baby seat, whereas if it was just me or the missus we could get out by only opening the doora little, so my opinion is that its unfair unless you have children to park in a parent and child spot, as for disabled bays, i never park in or near them, no offence meant to anyone of they're diasbled, but imo most diasbled drivers are so bad at parking my car is more at risk of being dinged thatn parking right inbetween 2 x5's!!!
Old 13 November 2006, 07:14 PM
simplesteve
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Myself, I wouldn't park in a disabled or parent/child space. But if you're worried about picking up dents and dinks then just take up two spaces, with half your car in one and half in another. I always do without fail, after having a dent put in my door a couple of years ago. If it's a pay and display car park then I just buy 2 tickets.
Old 13 November 2006, 07:27 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simplesteve
If it's a pay and display car park then I just buy 2 tickets.
Around here (Monmouthshire) you still get a ticket for taking up two spaces even though you have paid for them
Old 13 November 2006, 07:30 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Yea park across two spaces, you won't get a dink from some @rseholes door, just a boot or key from some other @rsehole who takes objection to the @rsehole who's taken two spaces..!

BTW I take it that those of you who park in 'parent and child' have never had to get young children out of a car..?!!
Old 13 November 2006, 07:33 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

I think parking in two bays makes the car more of a target for being keyed up etc because people know you are taking the ****! Personally i never leave the scoob anywhere apart from the garage as i have a company car to get me from a to b and leave places. only use the scoob for the fun factor!
Old 13 November 2006, 07:34 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

you beat me to it!
Old 13 November 2006, 07:51 PM
miltski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius

BTW I take it that those of you who park in 'parent and child' have never had to get young children out of a car..?!!
i agree!!
Old 13 November 2006, 07:52 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

This is something that really gets on my nerves, people without kids parking in the parent and child spaces.
The people who park in them who have no need to are fat and lazy in my opinion as the spaces are usually at the entrance to the supermarket and you get that extra room to get in and out!

Pi55 take aside

We park in them as we have a child, but if we don't have our daughter with us we use normal spaces, we don't think coz we have a car seat in the car then it looks like we have a child with us so lets still use the parent and child space.

Now if we can't get in to a parent and child space and we have to park in a normal space but we have seen someone jump in the parent and child without a child, I now have a rant at them by saying how disrespectful they are, and do they know what it is like getting a child in and out of a car in a small space when people like them take up a needy space, most people look at you like you have fallen from another planet, when it should be the other way round.

Rant over for now, I can't go on
Old 13 November 2006, 08:06 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

For those that do park in parent and child spaces and think its ok, don't complain when you park in a normal spot and you get your car dinked by a parent trying to get their kids out of the car because some inconsiderate drivers without kids have taken up all the parent and child spots.
In order to remove a child in a child seat the rear door has to be almost fully open which isn't easy in a normal parking space especially when some people fail to be able to park centrally in their chosen space.
I speak as a parent of two children who frequently has slanging matches with childless drivers over a parking space.
Nik.
Old 13 November 2006, 08:13 PM
CowbitSpecD
Scooby Regular

Life's too short. It's only a car.
Old 13 November 2006, 08:19 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

Take it you don't have kids, it's not just the principal of the car either
I agree with you Nik, happened the other day to us, couldn't get a parent and child space, seen a couple of cars get one without kids, we had to park in a normal space, when we came back to the car the person who had parked next to us would have seen the car seat in the back and had parked so close that I had to put our daughter in the back from the other side of the car and twist round so much that it was killing my back, which I already have a prob with, it's not just the fact that cars get dinted, it's the fact that it is sheer hell trying to put kids in and out the car without doing some sort of injury
Old 13 November 2006, 08:24 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

I wouldn`t park in Disabled/Parent & Child but I would take up 2 spaces. So many careless drivers at supermarkets!
Old 13 November 2006, 08:26 PM
mikeswrx02
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
For those that do park in parent and child spaces and think its ok, don't complain when you park in a normal spot and you get your car dinked by a parent trying to get their kids out of the car because some inconsiderate drivers without kids have taken up all the parent and child spots.
In order to remove a child in a child seat the rear door has to be almost fully open which isn't easy in a normal parking space especially when some people fail to be able to park centrally in their chosen space.
I speak as a parent of two children who frequently has slanging matches with childless drivers over a parking space.
Nik.
Totally agree with you.

I have a young child who has to go shopping with me!!.. and I many time I cant find an empty parent's space and i'll end up many times dingging cars!!... As soon as i park up, he whacks open his door before i can get around to him!!!
Old 13 November 2006, 08:27 PM
mikeswrx02
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by COLZO
I wouldn`t park in Disabled/Parent & Child but I would take up 2 spaces. So many careless drivers at supermarkets!
Not worth it mate...... one day you'll get the keys!!!!

Quick Reply: Parking At Supermarkets.