Sponsored by:

My car has just been stolen

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2006, 02:58 AM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My car has just been stolen

My mum just woke me up about an hour ago as she heard my car being driven off the drive, sure enough i could hear it being ragged away as i woke up.

The ba$tards had got the keys through the letter box i think cos when i went downstairs the front door was wide open with the front door keys in it. For some reason my new house keys (as i am just in the process of moving out) had been taken off the keyring (the one still in the front door) which has worried me as i don't know if they know my other house adress or something.

We rang 999 and they told us it wasn't a 999 incident and to ring our local station, couldn't get through to the local station so i drove down there and its not manned at night. Luckily an officer was just returning so i collared him (this is about 45 minutes after the incident now) and he was livid that we were fobbed off by 999 and said we should complain. Have just had some senior police officer on the phone saying its a joke that we were fobbed off and wanting to know the details of the 999 call so he can see who dealt with us.

Im really pi$$ed off with the way i've been treated by the police with this, though the officer i spoke to at my local station was very good.

Further i rang the tracker company straight after and they said they couldn't activate the tracker til i had a police incident number which further fu**ed me off given the trouble i was having with the police.

So in summary they basically got 45 minutes head start to fu*k off to wherever.

I'm hoping i don't get the car back to be honest cos i don't want it after some scum bag has nailed it. The police man said he thought its probably been taken to be used in a job or something.

Im feeling a bit disillusioned with scooby ownership now, as after some of the stuff i've read on here i was almost waiting for this to happen to me at some point, im just glad the ba$tards didn't come in the house and attack my parents or anything.

Gonna be so tired at work tomorrow

Joe

Last edited by Joek101; 13 November 2006 at 10:05 AM.
Old 13 November 2006, 03:05 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

unlucky mate. i feel for you. just left work early as there was now to do and saw this. *******s should get hung for it. at least you and the rents are ok, and heres hoping for a big payday from the ins if its a write off etc.

andy
Old 13 November 2006, 03:11 AM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

Yeah hopefully the ba$tards have crashed and died a horrible fiery death.

As i said i hope to god i don't get it back the thought of having it after someone else has stolen it makes me feel sick, i wouldn't want it.

Last edited by Joek101; 13 November 2006 at 09:50 AM.
Old 13 November 2006, 06:29 AM
fabulous555
Scooby Regular

You leave all your keys within reach of the letter box? You didnt leave them a cup of tea too did you? Sorry to be harsh mate but its how the majority of these thefts are made.

Keep them by your bed in future out of view. There is the chance theyl come into the house looking for them if their determined but chances are they wont bother if its not an easy grab for them.

Make sure you sort the locks on your new place cos they obviously knew what they were for. Late night burglers dont fanny about taking keys of keyrings unless they have a use for them. Glad you and your family are ok.

Last edited by fabulous555; 13 November 2006 at 06:45 AM.
Old 13 November 2006, 06:46 AM
tomfraser
Scooby Regular

sorry to here that mate.
all you seem to hear is scoobys being stolen,if the want it the will have it,it does not matter if the keys are close to the letterbox,the ba$tards have no right to steel it.
atleast you and your family are ok...thats the main thing mate
Old 13 November 2006, 07:02 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Dude,

Very sorry to hear this. Keep your chin up fella. Least you and your family are ok thats the main things.

To be honest I wouldn't want my car back after this kind of incident I have to be honest.

The police may not have dealt with your situation too well mate but rest assured that in the Surrey area the police will stop you to find out if your the owner/keeper etc so most police forces are on the ball. And to be honest there are a lot of Police members on these forums who own Scoobs so there most likely take it to heart too. There do there best mate.I hope you get a result from your complaint though fella and least you had tracker installed.

As for these b*stards who carry out these crimes they need the ***** run over by our cars they wish to steal and not treated as the "poor needy type" of ****es they really are. Or better still they loose the car on a cliff faced peak.

Steve
Old 13 November 2006, 07:40 AM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Not another one, hope you get it sorted

Trending Topics

Old 13 November 2006, 08:03 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

It's a pisser, isn't it?

Hope they catch them.
Old 13 November 2006, 08:36 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

What's the point of a tracker if they don't activate them?
Old 13 November 2006, 08:46 AM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fabulous555
You leave all your keys within reach of the letter box? You didnt leave them a cup of tea too did you? Sorry to be harsh mate but its how the majority of these thefts are made.

Keep them by your bed in future out of view. There is the chance theyl come into the house looking for them if their determined but chances are they wont bother if its not an easy grab for them.

Make sure you sort the locks on your new place cos they obviously knew what they were for. Late night burglers dont fanny about taking keys of keyrings unless they have a use for them. Glad you and your family are ok.
I wouldn't exactly say they were in easy reach, but i value my own safety and that of my family a lot more than any car so i always leave my keys downstairs because i've heard too many storys on here of people being threatened in their own homes for there car keys and i'd rather that didn't happen to me.
Old 13 November 2006, 09:24 AM
Mangel
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about this, I agree with you on the keys front, I leave mine in a drawer down stairs then we have a door from down to upstairs, That way If they hoof the door, they can't get to us but they can't find the keys particularily quickly either.

As for the 999 call my sisters boyfriend was assaulted by 5 youths in Leamington a couple of weeks ago and that was not a 999 incident either it would appear. Personnaly I'd have just give it some 'I think they were armed' and they'd have soon been all over it like a rash!!
Old 13 November 2006, 09:34 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Joe I know you have not had a good start to the day but please think about this post, you dont really want to declare on a public forum that your car was unroadworthy (brakes) and that your keys were left in a position to make it easier for a thief as the alternative is to be threatened for them, what you actually do and what you post on a PUBLIC (eg. insurance co. can read) is two different things.
Hope things work out for you, I am genuinely trying to help, your post might benefit from a little edit?
Old 13 November 2006, 09:41 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WHEELSHOP0_0
your car was unroadworthy (brakes) and that your keys were left in a position to make it easier for a thief as the alternative is to be threatened for them,
Nice precis for the insurance co. mate.
Old 13 November 2006, 09:46 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Nice precis for the insurance co. mate.
Do you think insurance companies cant read?
Old 13 November 2006, 09:47 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Do you think I'm being entirely serious?
Old 13 November 2006, 09:49 AM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

Well first of all the brakes weren't unroadworthy they were just on there last legs, my mate who's a mechanic checked em out last week and advised that though they were still legal i should change them straight away.

As for the leaving the keys near the front door i don't see why that would make any difference to the insurance, its not a condition in my insurance that i keep my keys locked away in a safe. At the end of the day someone has entered my house illegally without permission and taken the keys
Old 13 November 2006, 09:50 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

My insurance company are paying up very shortly, and the offer is acceptable.

Old 13 November 2006, 09:55 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

I stand corrected on all counts, Bubba did you get the blue one?
and Joe I am glad you clarified the brakes and key storage issue as I am sure that storing the keys inside a secure and locked property is all that you are required to do and confirmation from your mechanic that your brakes were a little low but still perfectly legal is all you need for peace of mind, as mentioned before I am a little paranoid about ins. co. wiggling out of a claim but glad this situation is all OK.
ps I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction.
Old 13 November 2006, 10:09 AM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear another story of a car bring stolen using the keys. Like you said, good job they didn't smash the door down and ransack the house looking for them with you all asleep upstairs.

I wouldn't want my car back after it being ragged to within an inch of it's life by some tosser theiving scum.

Lets hope they've hit a tree a 150mph, the cars then burst into flames killing the *******.
Old 13 November 2006, 10:18 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WHEELSHOP0_0
Bubba did you get the blue one?
Yep. I haven't got it yet, though. Insurance are happy to insure it again with no penalty. They seem pleased about my plans to put up a garage, mind.
Old 13 November 2006, 10:23 AM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

dont think it doesn,t happen to other makes of car it equally does..sorry to hear about your car,,,,dont ring 999 our police are too busy setting up the speed traps
Old 13 November 2006, 11:32 AM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

I've just had a call from the police that they have found my car, i don't know what sort of condition its in, im really worried about getting it back now, and pretty disappointed really, i wish it hadn't been found cos its probably going to be battered
Old 13 November 2006, 11:48 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
What's the point of a tracker if they don't activate them?
yeah... that would **** me off more then the police!! i would be asking for a full refund!
Old 13 November 2006, 11:49 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Joek101
I've just had a call from the police that they have found my car, i don't know what sort of condition its in, im really worried about getting it back now, and pretty disappointed really, i wish it hadn't been found cos its probably going to be battered
What's the car? Age?

i would be worried that they have ragged the **** out of it from cold. never going to do it any good.
Old 13 November 2006, 11:52 AM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

Its an MY53 WRX

If I got the engine checked out at somehwere like scoobyclinic would they be able to tell me whether it had been really nailed and give me a report of any damage done, cos i don't want to get it back and it appears ok and the allsorts starts going wrong with it.

How much damage can you do on a 100 mile joyride (i assume they won't have filled it up and it had about 100 miles worth of fuel left)
Old 13 November 2006, 11:56 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Joek101
Its an MY53 WRX

If I got the engine checked out at somehwere like scoobyclinic would they be able to tell me whether it had been really nailed and give me a report of any damage done, cos i don't want to get it back and it appears ok and the allsorts starts going wrong with it.

How much damage can you do on a 100 mile joyride (i assume they won't have filled it up and it had about 100 miles worth of fuel left)
Loads i would of thought. no doubt they went up a few kurbs.... Go over the car with a tooth comb for dents. TBH i would get the car fully checked somewhere.
Old 13 November 2006, 12:05 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

In true honesty you can redline a stone cold engine every day for 5 years and it would still be ok. Barring going from 5th to 2nd at high speed, there isn't much else you can do to kill an engine. And there are loads of owners here that unknowingly rag their cars to death. Granted it would wear out quicker but that is over a spate of years not days. The only way scoobyclinic would asess that is by an entire strip down of the engine, and even then they couldn't tell you if that wear was there before it was stolen or not.

I'd be more worried if they took it rallying through the local woods, or went doughnutting - as the gearbox doesn't like that one bit.
Old 13 November 2006, 03:47 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Have you fallen out with any friends //exfriends recently?
This sounds like it could be someone who knows you especially with the new house keys being taken off the keyring, thats just too random
Old 13 November 2006, 04:00 PM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

No i dont think so.

The car was actually found quite near my new house which is a bit worrying. I've had someone to change the locks today £163 quid, is there anyway i can claim this off car/house insurance?

Im even more worried about moving house now cos my new house i have bought is on a nice road but with a bit of a rough area nearby and it seems as though its someone from this area who was responsible for the theft so i dont know if maybe ive been followed from my new house back to my parents house. I often do work at my house in the evening and weekends and then drive back to my parents where im actually living until its finished being decorated.

Last edited by Joek101; 13 November 2006 at 04:17 PM.
Old 13 November 2006, 05:09 PM
fl6
Scooby Regular

just out of intrest witch part of the country are you from.

Quick Reply: My car has just been stolen