ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

OOOps

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2006, 11:13 PM
nick_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OOOps

Tried to get a fast start from a junction earlier and reved to about 4k and dropped the clutch, the car didnt move, the rev counter moved to the red line and i got a nasty clutch smell!!! Ive probably taken a few miles off the clutch, but can this cause any other problems to the 4wd - as in diffs etc, the car drives fine with no noises or anything else?

Nick
Old 06 November 2006, 11:20 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like your clutch took the full hit to me
Old 06 November 2006, 11:21 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

The nasty smell is no surprise, but surprised the car didn't move ~ you didn't lift the clutch fully ?!
Old 06 November 2006, 11:26 PM
nick_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
The nasty smell is no surprise, but surprised the car didn't move ~ you didn't lift the clutch fully ?!
Im still getting used to the 4wd, in other 2wd drive cars ive had i normally lift off partially to get an equalibrium before it bites - think thats what i did here. I tend to find that the scoob gets bogged down on any start that ive tried so far. Not going to try any more, think i'm going to give the clutch a break!
Old 06 November 2006, 11:55 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

OOh slippy clutch.

Get it on boost in 3rd or 4th and rapidly dip the clucth mometarily whilst still on full throttle. It should bite quite noticably. If its still slipping when your foot is off the pedal then its time to either think out replacing it or to nurse it 'til you saveda few pennies to sort it.

The only saving grace is if you were sat the juction holding the car on a hill with the clutch before pulling away instead of using the handbrake (UK's no1 clutch killer on any car) . If you did that immdiately prior to launching, it will have overheated and it would slip quite easily, once cooled normal operation resumes. However if that is your nomal driving habit, don't expect to see past 40K with it.

Last edited by Shark Man; 06 November 2006 at 11:57 PM.